• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians deploying to AFG (early days, merged)

• Thread starter Thread starter Spr Earl
  • Start date Start date
There are numerous links from official sites that make references to ROTO's as I've linked below. 

Looks to be pretty open sourse to me.  All the links came up from doing a google search under Afghanistan Roto 1.

From DND's site
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1228

Federal government's Rebuilding Afghanistan site
http://www.canada-afghanistan.gc.ca/background-en.asp

I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of who will be the replacements in either of those links for the near future and beyond.
BTW I don't think they should mention what elements/numbers are over there now.

CFL,

By way of reporing numbers, NDHQ makes a rather detailed reporting for all op areas

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operations/current_ops_e.asp

While the numbers presented aren't 100% accurate, it looks as though they don't consider it a matter of general opsec. 

WRT who is deploying next, I agree that this is something that doesn't necessarily need to be discussed on this board.  If for no other reason then the fact that the situation is always changing.  Those who are going know they are going by way of them having their ramp up period.  All those who aren't "in the know" likely don't need to. 

That having been said, when I went over on Roto 1 it was hardly a secret that we were heading over there.  Especially considering the fact that we used Sherbrook as a mock Kabul (widely reported open source).

Understood.  I'm not sure who it was that started this topic but they had posted who was slated to go up to Roto 10 or so.

This is the first of many homecomings. For some of us, this is the begining of the end, and a big releif that our loved ones are coming home safe and sound. For those just begining on this journey, be safe, and take care.  :salute:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060718/afghanistan_troops_060805/20060805?hub=TopStories

100 Cdn. troops arrive home from Afghanistan
Updated Sat. Aug. 5 2006 10:28 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The first of about 2,000 Canadian soldiers who will return home from Afghanistan in coming weeks touched down in Edmonton early Saturday, amid reports that one NATO soldier was killed and three others were injured in the war-torn nation on the same day.

A NATO statement said the death and injuries occurred when an armoured jeep which was accompanying a supply convoy, crashed in Kandahar province.

Though the accident was not the result of enemy action, it occurred in the same region where four Canadian soldiers were killed earlier in the week.

NATO has not released the nationalities of the soldiers.

Meanwhile, the roughly 100 troops who returned home Saturday were greeted by loved ones, cool 10 C weather, and Tim Horton's coffee in a fitting homecoming.

The military jet the soldiers travelled home on was accompanied by two CF 18 jets for the last leg of its journey to Edmonton's airport, as a tribute to the returning troops. 

The troops spent an hour filling out paper work and updating medical reports, before boarding three buses which carried them to the Edmonton military base where their families waited.

Andelaine Nelson, 21, held her two-month old son out as her husband Cpl. Kevin Pavan rushed to meet her and pick up his son.

Pavan's parents and brothers had flown from Vancouver to surprise him, carrying banners with the Canadian flag and the words "We support our troops."

Undoubtedly, however, many were thinking about the four Canadian troops who were killed earlier in the week.

"I'm very excited about him coming home,'' Pavan's mother Jan Pavan told The Canadian Press. "But I have mixed feelings because I'm also sad for all the parents that their kids aren't coming home.''

Pte. Kevin Dallaire, Sgt. Vaughn Ingram, Cpl. Bryce James Killer and Cpl. Christopher Reid were killed Thursday during fighting with Taliban forces west of Kandahar.

Their bodies are scheduled to arrive at Ontario's CFB Trenton Saturday afternoon.

Pavan's joy was dampened by concern for his comrades still in Afghanistan.

"I'll be relieved when all the boys come home safe,'' he said.

His fellow soldier,  Edmonton paramedic and reservist with 8 Field Engineer Regiment Darcy Ressler, took a similar stance.

Though he admitted he was glad to be safe and sound in Canada, and to have some relief from the nosebleeds due to heat that have plagued him in Afghanistan, he was worried about those left behind.

However, Ressler told CP he believes in the work Canadian troops are doing in Afghanistan.

"I do feel we've made a lot of progress in helping social programs, helping some of the villagers with the necessities they didn't have before we came, like running water, digging wells, helping them with crops,'' he said.

The majority of the soldiers who will be rotating home in the next few weeks will spend the next month on vacation and adjusting to life back in Canada.

Their replacements, about 2,000 troops mostly from Ontario and Manitoba, began arriving in Kandahar on Wednesday, where they will undergo training to take over the Canadian contingent's duties.

The work in Afghanistan is becoming more dangerous. More than 800 people have been killed in southern Afghanistan as the result of fighting, suicide bombs and ambushes. Of those, 23 Canadian soldiers have died since the mission began in 2002.

"A NATO statement said the death and injuries occurred when an armoured jeep which was accompanying a supply convoy, crashed in Kandahar province. Though the accident was not the result of enemy action, it occurred in the same region where four Canadian soldiers were killed earlier in the week. NATO has not released the nationalities of the soldiers." :salute:

Although the loss of any NATO soldier is sad, praying its not another Canadian.

FDL :cdn:

There was a decent article on the front page of The Chronicle-Herald this morning with the pic of the Engr Cpl (forget his last name, sorrry) with his 2 month old on it.  Was nice to see.

Mud

Welcome home to all of them. I think I saw a couple at Pearson today.

Love the song and and the lyrics. To the troops that are coming home. :salute:

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red.
When the summer’s ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure’s lost its meaning,
I’ll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

If you find it’s me you're missing, if you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be list’ning, and in the road I’ll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end.
And the path I’ll be retracing when I’m homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing,
I’ll be homeward bound again.

-Music and Lyrics by Marta Keen

Back