• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canine units in or Contracted to Canadian Armed Forces

Noble6

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster here but long time reader.. (And not  exactly sure what board to post this thread in)

I'll start off by stating I'm not currently in the forces, (reserves or regular) but have been looking at joining for quite some time.
My questions are these:
- Are there any occupations in the combat arms that utilize a canine and it's handler?
- If so does anyone have experience as a handler or worked in a unit alongside one?
- I'm assuming the recruiting process is done internally if there is such a position.. if so are there any specific combat arms that I should apply to in order to get off on the right foot? (Not looking for any shortcuts, just wondering what positions are eligible for this type of work)
The reason I ask is because I've been a volunteer with my local humane society for a couple years now and would love to be able to work with dogs in a tactical environment. (Would this help in regards to handling experience?)

Any info on the topic is appreciated!

The only dog handlers I've seen/am aware of(in regards to what you are referring to) are contractors, not CF pers. I don't know if the MPs have any or if they use local LEO for their needs as required.

Noble6 said:
Any info on the topic is appreciated!

You may find some here.

K9 unit
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/39676.0;nowap

K9 Units 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/16872.0/nowap.html

Does the CF use Shepherds?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72171.0.html

Thanks for the links mariomike! So apparently the only units utilizing a canine are the MP's and those dogs aren't even trained through the CF.. I'm assuming that the training for the handler is provided by a 3rd party then as well?
Quite frankly it doesn't seem like canines are used much whatsoever by the CF. (I'll leave my opinion on how utterly ridiculous that seems out of it lol.)

Again, thanks for the time and links rather than the old "google it" response.
Cheers!

Noble6,  dogs are/were used quite a bit by the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan, but the dog handlers were contractors AFAIK.

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/news-nouvelles/story-reportage-eng.asp?id=5025

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/forces-planning-to-expand-use-of-sniffer-dog-teams/article1206842/?service=mobile

If you want to be a dog handler consider the Police, after X amount of years, you may be able to try out to be one. 

N6

There are dogs and handlers in the CF and they're not all with the MPs, you can draw your own conclusions after that.

I'll answer your first question. I was a combat engineer who had a contractor K9 team attached for the duration of our tour. The dog was an 'AES' dog, Arms and Explosives Search, and it's job was simply that, to sniff for those items. However,  to be honest, I cannot think of a time when the dog found something my guys didn't find already. Due to the high threat it wasn't a case of letting fido go bouncing off and sit when he wanted to indicate a find, rather we used the dog as QA for our own searches, and as stated, he never found anything we missed. Now either I had some awesome searchers in my section (which I know I did) or the dog was too cooked by the heat to be able to work effectively, I think it was both. Regardless, it gave a nice feeling to the infantry to have my guys go over every inch of a piece of real estate, followed by 70lbs of German landshark casting around with his nose on the floor. They knew the area was clear once we were done with it.

That and it was nice to have a section mascot. The yank handler that is haha, we promoted the dog to MCpl.

Noble6 said:
(I'll leave my opinion on how utterly ridiculous that seems out of it lol.)

Good idea.

rampage800 said:
N6

There are dogs and handlers in the CF and they're not all with the MPs, you can draw your own conclusions after that.

Care to elaborate? Any information I've found so far about canine handlers in the CF all states that the positions are contracted out to American companies.
(aside from the drugs and firearm's labradors that the MP's use..)

Here is a quote from an article about the CF doubling the number of contracted canine teams in Afghanistan..
"The Canadians are the easiest to work with because they have the best logistical system to get people and dogs in and out; their soldiers have no experience with dogs so they leave our handlers to do their jobs, whereas U.S. forces have often worked with dogs before and think they know what to do."  (taken from "Dogs of war" article found on Canada.com)

Again any info is appreciated.

If I am not mistaken , a dog handler and his pooch just arrived in petawawa not that long ago. ( military police)

poinf said:
If I am not mistaken , a dog handler and his pooch just arrived in petawawa not that long ago. ( military police)

Over the decades, there have been dog handlers and dogs in Pet.  They were not a permanent fixture in any unit there.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but its starting to look like when the CF need a canine to get a job done.. they call one in from somewhere else rather than maintaining their own unit. Not surprising but a little disappointing!

C.G.R said:
Then apply to a contracting company?

Heck if you know any Canadian canine contractors.. let me know! Till then looks like I better start practicing the PATI..

Thanks again for the prompt and informative responses folks

Noble6 said:
Heck if you know any Canadian canine contractors.. let me know! Till then looks like I better start practicing the PATI..

I doubt a company would hire you to be a dog handler, just because of your experience working as a volunteer with the humane society.  They typically want people who are actually trained/experienced in the jobs they hire for. 

Before you were interested in the Military, now because you won't be able to work as a dog handler you are changing to the Police?  Doesn't seem like you were that serious about joining the CF after all. So, now that you are shifting to the Police Force, you should probably do quite a bit of research into being a LEO and making sure it is what you want.  There is no guarantee you will be able to work with dogs as a constable, and you will have to put in a few years in before you will be able to try out for these types of units, provided there is a opening.  You will also be competing against others for those openings as well.

The only way you are realistically going to become a dog handler is by wprking your way through the ranks of an organization that utilizes them, police, CBSA, SAR organizations etc. Even then it will not be certain.

skeletor I'm quite aware of the fact that I won't get hired into a canine unit right off the bat and I've been interested in becoming a police officer for several years now. I wasn't assuming whatsoever that my volunteer animal handling experience would qualify me for anything - just mentioning it. I've only now been considering military since my province doesn't seem to think policing is something that needs to be funded, and I'm drawn to the discipline and training that the CF demands. I'm definitely not eliminating joining the force solely because it doesn't have canine teams -  just a little disappointed. Armored recce would also be a great gig.

Thanks!

Noble6 I was bored and did a quick google search. Not sure what province you are from but for ontario you can work security as a K9 handler. See link below. They will train.

http://www.llewellynsecurity.com/jobpage/jobframe.htm

Back