• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cannot Modify Posts

q_1966

Inactive
Reaction score
Im logged in, yet the theres no modify button on my post?

Edit: Never Mind, Must be Slow Comp

Apparantly its a specific Post thats messing up, The Long One w/ Red Writing in it
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21370.0.html

This may be a factor:
Mike Bobbitt said:
  • User can only edit their posts for 24 hours after posting them. (Prevents revisionist histories.)

It is from forum upgrades that took place on 29 Mar 05.  Follow the link on the qoute to find out more.

Yep - it's to prevent revisionist history.

If there is something that really needs to be changed, report the post or contact a mod personally.

Would it be possible to have the modification feature left on in the 'Applications Process Samples' thread? That is one people regularly modify to keep it up to date. It has good information so I would hate to see it disrupted.

KISS

A very simple solution.  If you have changed your mind, had a change of heart, or realized the errors of your ways, and want to change/modify your position; then simply go to your original post, quote yourself and make a new post in response to your quote.  That way we will all know "historically" how the discussion has progressed.  That way we won't run into the problem of:  "If you go back three pages in a thread and change your post, you change the whole 'flow' of the conversation and future readers will get lost trying to figure out why a response to your post doesn't relate to it at all."  If you made a post leave it alone (after it being posted for several days) so you don't screw up the recorded discussion for future readers.

That makes sense for most threads, but the particular one I mentioned is more a thread of tabulated data. Now everyone who is posting there will have to copy the entire post and update instead of just making small modifications. Seems like a major waste of bandwidth, and it would be difficult to keep track of who is doing what after a while. So I am trying to KISS it  :-*

This is the thread I am referring to:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13064.0.html

Just a friendly suggestion.

Unfortunately the feature is relatively simple, in that it's applied globally. That is, exceptions can't be made for single boards or threads. As with most things, this new feature is being trialled and if it needs adjustment or simply doesn't work, we'll change how we operate.

Thanks for the feedback, we're having the same problem with the FAQ posts as well...

Ah, ok. Too bad the software is limited in that way. Maybe put in a feature request with simplemachines. Not that they don't have enough to do already  :p

Back