• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Capt. Leary Killed in Afghanistan - 03 June 2008

Sorry to be the administrative weasel here, but should this not be moved to "Thoughts And Prayers" ??

Just wondering. 

Again, my sympathies to Capt. Leary's family.  :cdn:

RIP Captain, and my heartfelt condolences to your family and loved ones.  :salute:

I heard the news about Captain Leary when I came to work. Captain Leary's sister works with us here and we're all deeply feeling the loss for her family... so this feels quite close to home. My sympathies go out to his family, friends and fellow troops.  :cdn:

Rest in peace, you have earned it

Best wishes to the family, friends and comrades of Capt Leary

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn
We will remember them!

CHIMO!

Article from Capt Leary's hometown newspaper Brantford Expositor

Wed, June 4; 2008 article link: http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1056795&auth=Joanne+Miltenburg

Reproduced in accordance with fairdealings.

Soldier from Brantford killed in the line of duty
'We always thought he'd come home'

Capt. Richard (Steven) Leary, who was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday, knew he wanted to be in the military since he was a boy growing up in Brantford.

“This is something he always wanted to do,” said his mother, Gail. “He was a very good man.”

Capt. Leary, 32, was on his first tour of duty in Afghanistan with Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry when he was killed in combat.

He went by Richard in the military, but people in Brantford knew him as Steve. He is survived by his wife Rachel, his parents Richard and Gail, and his sister Brandi.

Rachel, whose maiden name is Bonney, also grew up in Brantford. She and Capt. Leary were married in 2002, after dating for many years.

“They had been together since he was 16 and she was 14,” said Capt. Leary's aunt, Terry Careswell.

Speaking on behalf of the family, Careswell said Capt. Leary and his wife were talking about him taking a less dangerous desk job so they could start a family.

“A family was in the future,” she said. “When this (tour of duty) was over, so he could be home and raise his child.”

Careswell said Capt. Leary’s parents are devastated at losing their only son. Standing outside the family's house on Miles Avenue, Carewell said they always thought he would come back safely.

“Obviously when someone goes to Afghanistan, it’s in the back of your mind he might not come home,” she said. “But we always thought he’d come home. We never would have stopped him from going because he would have gone anyway.”

Capt. Leary understood what military families go through when a soldier is killed. He did the same job for the military Careswell is doing now: speaking to the media on behalf of families of soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

“He was a really strong person with a very sensitive side,” Careswell said. “He just brought sunshine to every house he was in.”

Careswell remembered Capt. Leary as a mischevious boy who liked to tease his sister. As a teenager, he was interested in mechanical things and loved to take apart and rebuild cars.

Capt. Leary went to Russell-Reid Coronation School, then to Brantford Collegiate Institute, where he played on the football team.

Careswell said Capt. Leary was always athletic. He was in cadets as a boy, then took up karate when he got older. Later, he became interested in weight lifting, and kept himself in excellent shape.

Kim Simon, who has known Capt. Leary since he was 15, remembered him wearing his camouflage everywhere when he was a teenager.

“Everybody knew Steve was going to do something with the military,” she said.

Capt. Leary put himself through university, graduating from McMaster in Hamilton with a BA in history. He enlisted in 2004 and was posted to the 2nd battalion, Princess Patricia’s. Two years later, he completed his basic officer training at CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick.

Capt. Leary was deployed to Afghanistan in February 2008. Serving in wartime was something of a family tradition; his grandfather served in the Second World War, and his great-grandfather fought in the First World War.

Capt. Leary actually shared his birthday, Sept. 11, with the anniversary of the World Trade Centre terrorist attacks that brought the Canadian soldiers to Afghanistan.

Maj. Erik Liebert of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry said Capt. Leary was a platoon commander, in charge of about 40 soldiers.

“By all accounts, he was an upfront, ourstanding, very compassionate officer,” Liebert said. “Unfortunately it’s a very dangerous and risky job sometimes. He was killed doing what he signed up to do.”

“He just wanted to go and do his part to help make things better,” said his sister, Brandi Leary of Princeton.

Brandi said Rachel received word of her husband’s death early Tuesday morning and called his parents, who called her.

Brandi said her parents are in shock. “It hadn’t completely sunk in yet,” she said.

Rachel is flying to Ontario from Manitoba on Friday.

Capt. Leary’s mother, father, and sister will meet her in Trenton for a military service when the plane carrying his body arrives. There will be a family service in Brantford at a later date.

http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/437311

Afghan mission: A tearful farewell to 'Stevo'
TheStar.com - World - Afghan mission: A tearful farewell to 'Stevo'

June 05, 2008
Rosie DiManno
COLUMNIST

" ... Be gentle as we walk our brother home ..."

Capt. Darren Persaud, battle group chaplain

KANDAHAR– It is the slow march back to Canada.

Or at least as far as a lost soldier's uniformed compatriots can take him – into the belly of a Hercules aircraft.

"Task Force Afghanistan: To your fallen comrade salute!" the base commander bellowed.

And thousands snapped to attention

Five long columns of troops – from Canada, the United States, Holland, France, Romania, Australia, Denmark and Britain – bade a solemn farewell last night to Capt. Richard "Stevo" Leary, killed in a firefight in Panjwaii district Tuesday morning.

The ramp ceremonies are always poignant, humbling and quietly overwhelming. There is such unnatural stillness in the tableau.

With the soldiers assembled, marching in precision form to their places, the LAV hearse appeared on the edge of the Kandahar Airfield, flag-draped coffin protruding from the rear.

The sun, just starting to set, cast slanting rays across the tarmac, silhouetting the turret gunner atop the vehicle.

Gently, the casket was removed and placed on the shoulders of eight pallbearers, seven men and one female, arms clasped to brace the weight of their burden.

In the front, Pte. Jessie Veltri struggled to contain his sobs but tears mixed with sweat as the bearer party approached the plane. At the back, Master Cpl. Jaison Levanen carried Leary's beret and badge and, behind him, Capt. Ludger Hacault piped a lament.

The dead platoon commander's men, most of them, were still out in the area of operations, unable to attend the ceremony, though saluting their captain privately in their combat post last night.

"Rich Leary – Steve as he was known to his family – was a very stoic individual, very solid leader, extremely loyal and renowned for his loyalty to his troops," Lt.-Col. Dave Corbould told reporters afterward.

It was always the mission and his men. They were always first, well before his own personal thoughts. He was a real inspiration to his troops."

Leary died of gunshot wounds when his platoon – on a joint patrol mission with Afghan forces – was ambushed by insurgents, in a chronically restive region west of the main base.

Leary, Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, graduated from officer training just two years ago but was apparently eager to serve in Afghanistan, where he was destined to become Canada's 84th military casualty.

He was at least the second officer struck down this past week – another, in a separate incident on Monday, was severely wounded by a roadside explosion during a dismounted patrol, and was flown to an American military hospital in Germany for further medical treatment.

All this means abrupt adjustments at the platoon command level and younger officers promoted to lead.

"They're handling it well, as could be expected," said Corbould of Leary's troops. "As Capt. Leary was loyal to his men, they're loyal to his memory. And they're getting on with the mission."

Capt. Darren Persaud, the battle group chaplain, gave a short but very moving eulogy for the fallen soldier.

"We stand at attention to honour the ultimate sacrifice of a son, husband and dear friend. His wish to serve his country by leading his troops into combat was one of his greatest desires. When he was informed that he was coming to Afghanistan, he could not have been happier.

"He loved his wife, he loved his work, and he loved his troops. His zeal for life was paralleled only by his fiery sense of humour, and a passion to lead. He was a soldier's leader and a great friend."

In the eloquent prayer Persaud delivered afterwards, he spoke tenderly of "unfinished conversations", long nights to come full of questions, pain, longing, anger, confusion.

"Let us not despair," he counselled.

Persaud ended with these words:

"Capt. Leary, it is for you I eternally pray, dear brother. Rest in peace."

There is a condolence book for the family in memory of Cpt Leary, at Branford City Hall. They are located at 100 Wellington Square. If you go in front doors, the table is in the main entrance to your right. I'm not sure how long it will be there; but as far as I know, it will be there until the Memorial Service. This is for anyone who is close enough that would like the chance to sign, and pay thier condolences.

:cdn:
I pay my respects to the family of Capt. Leary.
Sir, you could have not served your country more honorably. Rest In Peace.  :salute:

I would like to take the chance, to post the obituary link from the Brantford Expositor. Date and time of service, yet to come and I will keep the thread updated for anyone who would like to come pay their respects. The obit also states, that the public is welcome to show thier respects, by attending along the route of the Funeral Cortege. I will probably know a bit more, when I go back into work as to date and time, and can post again here also. For now you can check the newspaper site over the next few days. The obituary link, from the Brantford Expositor is as follows.

Mon, June 9; 2008. Osprey Obituaries, Brantford Expositor. Obituary link: http://ospreyobituaries.com/sitepages/obituary.asp?oId=244776&source=Brantford%20Expositor

Back