• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Career Change with Kids?

itsybitsylawyer

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm just here to ramble and gather some opinions.

I was previously offered a pilot position after a 3 year long recruiting process - my dream job. However, I was by then in law school and would have had to drop out and lose all my credits to accept the position. Besides, it would have forced my now-wife to cease her own career ambitions which wasn't fair since I at least had law (and which I also enjoyed).

Fast forward a few years I'm happy as a lawyer, have kids, and my wife is almost done her school. Life is good, but I've never stopped thinking about the job I turned down. My decision isn't a regret, as I wouldn't have the life I do now, had I accepted the job, but I guess you could call it a dissappointment or compromise (and it was agonizing at the time).

I was thinking of applying again in a couple years once things are fully settled down and seeing what happens. Is this delusional? I'd be in my mid or even late thirties trying to go for fast jets. I know the training wait is huge even if I made it through again - people I went through the application process with still arent flying in some cases. However, I figured that while I'm waiting I might be able to work as/with JAG for a bit instead of some random administrative work, which might ease that up.

My wife could work wherever I am posted.

Has anyone with a family switched to the military before? Any older pilots out there? Have any pilots with other skilles found themselves doing interesting work while waiting for training? I'm curious to hear from anyone in the military, cheers and thanks in advance!

Greetings,

I was previously offered a pilot position after a 3 year long recruiting process - my dream job. However, I was by then in law school and would have had to drop out and lose all my credits to accept the position. Besides, it would have forced my now-wife to cease her own career ambitions which wasn't fair since I at least had law (and which I also enjoyed).

Fast forward a few years I'm happy as a lawyer, have kids, and my wife is almost done her school. Life is good, but I've never stopped thinking about the job I turned down. My decision isn't a regret, as I wouldn't have the life I do now, had I accepted the job, but I guess you could call it a dissappointment or compromise (and it was agonizing at the time).

I was thinking of applying again in a couple years once things are fully settled down and seeing what happens. Is this delusional? I'd be in my mid or even late thirties trying to go for fast jets. I know the training wait is huge even if I made it through again - people I went through the application process with still arent flying in some cases. However, I figured that while I'm waiting I might be able to work as/with JAG for a bit instead of some random administrative work, which might ease that up.

Has anyone with a family switched to the military before? Any older pilots out there? Have any pilots with other skilles found themselves doing interesting work while waiting for training? I'm curious to hear from anyone in the military, cheers and thanks in advance!
You could also become a Military Lawyer and get your own pilots license on the side 😉

It's a long and difficult wait and it doesn't get easier the older you get. Take it from someone who did two trades over an 18 year period in the CAF (Infantry Officer & Naval Officer). Trade #2 was more stressful in many ways as I had to basically start at zero and prove myself all over again in my early 30s.

I had to do it against people that were 10+ years younger than me, whose brains were like sponges.

Do you really want to subject yourself to that? I am in career #3 now and work in the private sector. I lost a lot of years I could have been building a career "chasing adventure". Lots of stories but stories don't put food on the table my friend.

You got a family to think about, choose wisely.

Thanks for the feedback Humphrey, all your comments are fair. I have indeed thought about getting my private license, and perhaps it would scratch some of the itch. Who knows maybe I could learn to fly an L-39 and I'm 95% of the way there!

I don't think JAG/Military Lawyer is for me - if I'm going to stick it out in law I might as well stay in the private sector where I am.

What made you switch form Infantry to Naval Officer? If you could go back and do it all again would you have gone straight to private sector and/or switched trades?
You could also become a Military Lawyer and get your own pilots license on the side 😉

It's a long and difficult wait and it doesn't get easier the older you get. Take it from someone who did two trades over an 18 year period in the CAF (Infantry Officer & Naval Officer). Trade #2 was more stressful in many ways as I had to basically start at zero and prove myself all over again in my early 30s.

I had to do it against people that were 10+ years younger than me, whose brains were like sponges.

Do you really want to subject yourself to that? I am in career #3 now and work in the private sector. I lost a lot of years I could have been building a career "chasing adventure". Lots of stories but stories don't put food on the table my friend.

You got a family to think about, choose

Greetings,

You most likely would not be able to work with the JAG as an untrained pilot awaiting training. If you are interested in being a Legal Officer, why not consider pursuing it as a career? You stated that you are happy with your current life as a lawyer, at this point you only think you might enjoy being a Pilot.

Also, does your wife share your enthusiasm to be posted to somewhere like Cold Lake, so you can fly fast air?

Thanks for the feedback Humphrey, all your comments are fair. I have indeed thought about getting my private license, and perhaps it would scratch some of the itch. Who knows maybe I could learn to fly an L-39 and I'm 95% of the way there!

I don't think JAG/Military Lawyer is for me - if I'm going to stick it out in law I might as well stay in the private sector where I am.
There are some cool things you could be involved with. Targeting for one.... or helping Senior Officers stop themselves from putting their foot in their mouths.... lots of work!

What made you switch form Infantry to Naval Officer?
I watched too much Horatio Hornblower

Really, it was boredom as the Army wasn't/still isn't doing too much at the moment. I wanted to scratch the operations itch again.
If you could go back and do it all again would you have gone straight to private sector and/or switched trades?
I would have joined the French Foreign Legion or British Army for a few years 😄... probably would have made me reconsider my life decisions sooner!

My varied careers in different trades gave me a lot of interesting experiences. It helped me parlay my way in to my current line of work: railroading.

I figured that while I'm waiting I might be able to work as/with JAG for a bit instead of some random administrative work, which might ease that up.

And while I have no personal experience of being either a pilot or JAG, I've known a few of each. It might be easier getting selected as a pilot rather than a Legal Officer. Both have high standards, however while pilots are selected mostly on their potential to pass the training, Legal O selection is very focused on the individual's record of performance/experience in the actual practice of law.

Back