• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Careless driving...anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but 2006 Mazda3 GS you had to buy everything to get ABS, power all, air conditioning, bigger tires, moon roof, etc.

Just thought I'd update on my my car for those that have been following my situation since the night I got in my accident. I talked to the body shop today and my estimate is approx. $4,000 damage. Looks like it's basically all cosmetic, and parts arrived today. Should be good to go for late next week. (Just in time to go home to Mom's for X-mas! *fingers crossed*)

Still working on my charge issue, haven't had time to meet with the POINTTS guy yet, but we have exchanged info back and forth and I think things are looking relatively well in my favour there. Time shall tell. Now to deal with my monster of an insurance company, if you ever want to know what company not to go with, PM me. They've been terrible.

Thanks to those who have shown concern via PM. Ya'll rock.

Pea said:
$4,000 ....basically all cosmetic
  Is your car Zsa Zsa Gabor? (well before your time - - insert some famous person that wears way too much makeup ;) )

Lost_Warrior said:
But I know what you mean about special treatment for cab drivers.  I think its like that everywhere.  Here in Montreal, I can't count how many times I saw cab drivers go right through red lights, or speed in school zones, and cops around don't do a thing.

I think its rather interesting to note, when I was in St. Jean the cabbie just slowed down a bit, didnt even stop at the stop sign and kept going, right next to the cop in the left lane who was stopped at the stop sign, if anything like that happened in BC, you'd get pinched for sure.

Edited for Clarity

muffin said:
and Careless is a criminal charge that would remain on my record for some time... needless to say I opted to have him plead me out to Following too closely. Do I think I could have won? Probably. Was I willing to take that sort of chance - Nope.

No it is not. Careless driving is a provincial offence in Ontario, under the Highway Traffic Act. It stays on your driving record the same length of time as any other driving offence.  You are thinking of Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, which is a criminal code offence (s. 249), and is something completely different. Basically its when you are intentionally driving like a jackass, ie running from the police, street racing, stuff like that. Related charges are dangerous operation causing bodily harm and dangerous operation causing death.

Hatchet Man said:
No it is not. Careless driving is a provincial offence in Ontario, under the Highway Traffic Act. It stays on your driving record the same length of time as any other driving offence.

Hmmm.... seems I was misinformed by my insurance and the POINTTS guy then.... either way - I couldn't afford the insurance increase so I am still glad I accepted the lesser charge :)

UPDATE:

I was able to plead down to a lesser offence of "occupying two lanes". This comes with a $115 fine and a loss of 2 demerits. Much better than the $402 fine and loss of 6 demerits I would have had with the careless driving.

Thanks to all for your advice and kind words.  :)

camochick said:
All new cars come equipped with ABS.
not all new cars come with ABS my '01 Sentra didn't but that's ok i think ABS is sh!t anyway

Already been mentioned on Pages 2 and 3 of this topic.

Looks like it has served its' purpose....... LOCKED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back