• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC: "An 'embarrassing' gear shortage has Canadian troops in Latvia buying their own helmets"

We (the folks in Ottawa) have convinced themselves that kit has to be Canadianized because of the unique environment we find ourselves in.

Which is somewhat true (mostly in terms of our vast geographic areas)

But there are plenty of allies that operate just as north as we do, not to mention the Americans operating out of Alaska, that seem to get by just fine buying MOTS & COTS

We (the folks in Ottawa) have convinced themselves that kit has to be Canadianized because of the unique environment we find ourselves in.

Which is somewhat true (mostly in terms of our vast geographic areas)

But there are plenty of allies that operate just as north as we do, not to mention the Americans operating out of Alaska, that seem to get by just fine buying MOTS & COTS
Sometimes Canadianization isn't necessarily a bad thing. Old example, but the original CP-140 Aurora is heavily Canadianized.

Amongst other things, the Acoustics system was taken from the S-3 Viking (an improvement over the US P-3 at the time) and the tactical area was reconfigured from all other versions, so the Tactical Navigator and Nav-Communicators weren't by themselves and could shout at the sensor operators for any real-time updates instead of clogging up the internal radio comms. In both cases the CP-140 could have been exactly like the USN P-3, but both were improvements at the time.

Canadianization with the goal of getting a company jobs is one thing, but Canadianization for improvement is another.

Sometimes Canadianization isn't necessarily a bad thing. Old example, but the original CP-140 Aurora is heavily Canadianized.

Amongst other things, the Acoustics system was taken from the S-3 Viking (an improvement over the US P-3 at the time) and the tactical area was reconfigured from all other versions, so the Tactical Navigator and Nav-Communicators weren't by themselves and could shout at the sensor operators for any real-time updates instead of clogging up the internal radio comms. In both cases the CP-140 could have been exactly like the USN P-3, but both were improvements at the time.

Canadianization with the goal of getting a company jobs is one thing, but Canadianization for improvement is another.
The cynicism that was inculcated into me says that improvement is always the guise for jobs.

Agreed. I think the same could be said for the CH-147F.

My presumption on the matter of multicam being Canadianized is re jobs or the 'need to be different'

Agreed. I think the same could be said for the CH-147F.
Arguably - it was just optimized - not Canadianized - as features where picked to maximize the effectiveness - and avoid un-needed things.
@Good2Golf can clarify but I am pretty sure the Canadian F, just took already existing items, and put them together in a manner that was not really a G Block II, not also not an F.
My presumption on the matter of multicam being Canadianized is re jobs or the 'need to be different'
Long has the CAF marched to its own drummer...

Hey now, don't mention marching or drumming or you'll have the RCN and RCAF coming out swinging about Drill and Ceremonial negatively affecting our operational readiness....
Anyone want to march up and down the square with the Sergeant Major? Rather play the grand piano? Marchin up and down the square not good enough for you?

Seriously if the CAF needs to add something to a piece of equipment to ensure it is viable in our climates, fine. IF it's done for the sake of "Canadianizing" it that is plain idiocy and quite possibly a folly.

Seriously if the CAF needs to add something to a piece of equipment to ensure it is viable in our climates, fine. IF it's done for the sake of "Canadianizing" it that is plain idiocy and quite possibly a folly.
If the Nordic countries, hell, even the Americans in Alaska, can buy kit without "Canadianizing" it based on climate, it is folly and idiocy.

I would suggest that it's more a desire to drink our own bath water and believe we have a defence industry rather than admit we can buy COTS/MOTS from our allies.

If the Nordic countries, hell, even the Americans in Alaska, can buy kit without "Canadianizing" it based on climate, it is folly and idiocy.

I would suggest that it's more a desire to drink our own bath water and believe we have a defence industry rather than admit we can buy COTS/MOTS from our allies.

And buying votes in ruling party regions e.g.,

Back