• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBSA confiscates 65 prohibited pistols in Toronto

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Canada Border Services Agency stops another 65 prohibited firearms from entering our communities

Today, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced the largest single firearm seizure, on record, with the interdiction of 65 prohibited guns at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. The CBSA remains committed to addressing risks and threats in cross-border trade while ensuring essential goods continue to enter Canada’s supply chain during this COVID-19 pandemic period.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/canada-border-services-agency-stops-another-65-prohibited-firearms-from-entering-our-communities.html?utm_source=miragenews&utm_medium=miragenews&utm_campaign=news

Nice to see illegal guns confiscated.  I'm assuming there were actual firearms in the bust and CBSA isn't considering blank firing pistols as dangerous weapons.

Close up of "prohibited firearm" seized

1591721550401.jpg

Ok, I’ll bite...what am I missing? The pictures look like a shipment of starter pistols to me.

Are they prohibited now, or is there another batch of actual firearms that were seized, but not pictured?

Maybe it depends on one's definition of starter, but then again, I'd hardly consider a 45 a starter pistol.  ;D

Oh my god, I am embarrassed for CBSA that they would go this self-glorifying BS over a shipment of starter pistols.

You can make a Saturday Night Special from some of those starter pistols - knock out the barrel spike and then you stick .22 rounds in the cylinder.  Of course, they're highly inaccurate unless you're sticking the thing right in the person's ribs, but can still hurt folks...even if not the one you're aiming at.

:2c:

MM

SeaKingTacco said:
Ok, I’ll bite...what am I missing? The pictures look like a shipment of starter pistols to me.

Are they prohibited now, or is there another batch of actual firearms that were seized, but not pictured?

I'm confused by the article myself. Maybe the pistols in the other picture off the article are actual guns? Doesn't seem like it though.

ModlrMike said:
Maybe it depends on one's definition of starter, but then again, I'd hardly consider a 45 a starter pistol.  ;D

Methinks that was the quantity of the first shipment, not the calibre, no?

Colin P said:
Oh my god, I am embarrassed for CBSA that they would go this self-glorifying BS over a shipment of starter pistols.
  Don't blame the CBSA.  The article states that these were listed as prohibited by the RCMP in the FRT.  The CBSA had no choice but to seize them.

Haggis said:
  Don't blame the CBSA.  The article states that these were listed as prohibited by the RCMP in the FRT.  The CBSA had no choice but to seize them.

Not every seizure needs a press release.

dapaterson said:
Not every seizure needs a press release.

In their minds every seizure needs to be milked, they seized my friends shipment and where going to do a whole dog and pony show till someone realized he had all his permits in place to import them. My opinion of CBSA has been steadily reduced by many interactions with them during my Public Service career.

Colin P said:
In their minds every seizure needs to be milked, they seized my friends shipment and where going to do a whole dog and pony show till someone realized he had all his permits in place to import them. My opinion of CBSA has been steadily reduced by many interactions with them during my Public Service career.

Declining more than your opinion of Canada’s judicial system that releases those actually smuggling real handguns into Canada (because...well...you know, they have arthritis and hypertension and may die from COVID while in detention)?

Alleged gas-tank gun smuggler set freed due to COVID-19 risks

Poor woman, she might die from COVID if she were to remain incarcerated...notwithstanding had she been successful in smuggling the weapons into Canada, there would have been more illegal handguns in the streets, like the illegal handgun used by the 2018 Toronto Danforth shooter, etc.

Well I can't blame CBSA for that, I am sure all the officers involved in nabbing her are utterly pissed. I will give kudoes to CBSA in releasing embarrassing email in a ATIP my friend actioned on them in regards to a seizure of one of his shipments. CBSA for all of their faults at least seems to honour the spirit of the Access to Information Act, unlike the RCMP who have a FU attitude to it.

After nineteen months in custody, despite not being convicted of anything, she was permitted to post bail - nineteen months in custody despite having no priors.

Not quite the "criminals running rampant" story the Sun (or its readers (note to self: Never read the comments)) would like to project.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/firearm-trafficking-ring-dismantled-after-police-thwart-gas-tank-gun-smuggler-at-peace-bridge-1.4167035

Haggis said:

That's fair, we all know the games the RCMP are playing with the FRT. But to call these weapons and firearms?  CBSA is either completely confused as to the nature of what these actually are or they're misleading the public on purpose to make it appear that they confiscated a bunch of illegal guns that shoot bullets.

Quick facts
-Firearms and weapons are high-risk commodities and their interdiction is a CBSA enforcement priority.
-The CBSA and its domestic and international law enforcement partners work together to prevent illegal firearms and weapons from reaching our communities.

Quotes
“I am proud of my team as they continue to make these important interceptions of firearms to keep them off our streets. The CBSA is committed to detecting and stopping gun smuggling into Canada and to keeping our communities safe. The GTA Region Firearms Interdiction Team will continue to verify all firearms coming into Toronto Pearson, resulting in seizures that will disrupt dangerous criminal networks.”
-  Lisa Janes, Regional Director General, Greater Toronto Area Region, Canada Border Services Agency

dapaterson said:
After nineteen months in custody, despite not being convicted of anything, she was permitted to post bail - nineteen months in custody despite having no priors.

Not quite the "criminals running rampant" story the Sun (or its readers (note to self: Never read the comments)) would like to project.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/firearm-trafficking-ring-dismantled-after-police-thwart-gas-tank-gun-smuggler-at-peace-bridge-1.4167035

Follow-on discussion about why she was held for so long pre-trial would indeed be interesting, but her lawyer didn’t make any mention of why she was still in custody for as long as she was...one would think there’d be talk of injustice/etc. if there wasn’t a reason.

Point being, the Crown appeared to have a case for the detention up until COVID-related health concern became an issue.  Had she succeeded, those smuggled handguns would have most likely made it onto the street.

Jarnhamar said:
That's fair, we all know the games the RCMP are playing with the FRT. But to call these weapons and firearms?  CBSA is either completely confused as to the nature of what these actually are or they're misleading the public on purpose to make it appear that they confiscated a bunch of illegal guns that shoot bullets.

If the FRT classes them as firearms, then they are deemed to be firearms.  So, that's not misleading the public.  If someone wants to dispute that, the FRT and those populating/amending it are the issue here.

Maybe the RCMP Firearms Lab will re-examine them and reverse the decision? Just like what's happened with over 300 previously non-restricted firearms which are now retroactively prohibited in the FRT since May 1st?

I've found this little piece of technology on the internet. It's described as a Kimar 314 Model Olympic 6mm Blank Firing Revolver (lists at US$42.75) At this particular site it's out of stock (probably just sold their last 65  ;D)

This one looks identical but there are other sites where the item looks identical but has slightly different markings.

https://www.wholesaleblades.com/Kimar-314-Model-Olympic-6MM-Blank-Firing-Revolver_p_68233.html

This one has different markings:

Kimar+6+mm+38-307.jpg

https://www.tcnvault.com/blankfiringguns/kimar-model-314-blank-firing-revolver

It's basically advertised everywhere as a blank firing item useful as a starter pistol.

I really have no idea as to whether or not this thing is convertible to becoming capable of firing live rounds but that's always one thing that seems to crank the RCMP's gourd.

To put it politely, CBSA must be very hard up to claim a victory right now if it puts out a press release that is so misleading. Someone there needs a warm hug and a pat on their tummy (right after a smack upside the head).

:cheers:

Haggis said:
If the FRT classes them as firearms, then they are deemed to be firearms.  So, that's not misleading the public.  If someone wants to dispute that, the FRT and those populating/amending it are the issue here.

Maybe the RCMP Firearms Lab will re-examine them and reverse the decision? Just like what's happened with over 300 previously non-restricted firearms which are now retroactively prohibited in the FRT since May 1st?

The spirit of what Mrs Lisa Janes posted about firearms and the GOC webpage still feels very misleading if it's directed at the public. We could slap an FRT on a banana and it would be officially considered a firearm, but it's a banana. Know what I mean?

Yea it's pretty interesting how the RCMP lab can keep changing the FRT classification of guns even weeks after the OIC.

[quote author=FJAG]

I really have no idea as to whether or not this thing is convertible to becoming capable of firing live rounds but that's always one thing that seems to crank the RCMP's gourd.
[/quote]

I don't think they would have enough pressure inside the cylinder and barrel to build up the pressure. You'd need to machine a new cylinder and barrel.

You could actually take a box of 9mm hollow-point bullets, drop them in a camp fire and stand 4 feet away. It'll be loud but if you get hit with a bullet it's probably not even going to break skin.

Back