• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Their reasons for only getting it now (from the French article):

• "Because I can't get into restaurants, cafeterias anymore"
  • "I can't get onto a plane. I still cry about it, even now."

Their reasons for only getting it now (from the French article):

• "Because I can't get into restaurants, cafeterias anymore"
  • "I can't get onto a plane. I still cry about it, even now."

I think this is a big reason too: "Thursday, Dubé announced that vaccine passports would be required to enter Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ) and Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC) locations starting Jan. 18."

I think this is a big reason too: "Thursday, Dubé announced that vaccine passports would be required to enter Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ) and Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC) locations starting Jan. 18."

Absolute selfishness and complete disregard of other people's health. They only cared about flying, purchasing alcohol and not about overcrowding hospitals and delaying medical procedures.

Absolute selfishness and complete disregard of other people's health. They only cared about flying, purchasing alcohol and not about overcrowding hospitals and delaying medical procedures.
I can't wait until Quebec requires a BMI below 30 to purchase fast food or their complete ban on tobacco products. After all, it's about making sure people are healthy, right?

I can't wait until Quebec requires a BMI below 30 to purchase fast food or their complete ban on tobacco products. After all, it's about making sure people are healthy, right?
Nope. It's about protecting the healthcare system against a virus that experts say has the potential to overwhelm it. But that's been reiterated about a thousand times by now.

Can't catch fat blah blah blah. Something something seatbelts blah blah blah.

Nope. It's about protecting the healthcare system against a virus that experts say has the potential to overwhelm it. But that's been reiterated about a thousand times by now.

As has the still unrefuted response, "but not at any cost".

Restrictions annoy some people. Some annoyed people become unreasonably uncooperative for the sake of spite. That militates the aims of those applying the restrictions. Those applying restrictions should not retard their own aims. Those seeking mitigation should not allow emotions ("get those vax-hesitant f*ckers") to abase judgement. Every measure should be evaluated by the yardstick: "Is this meaningful, or is it just performance bullsh!t of very little utility?"

As long as anyone can ask why only one of two roughly equivalent things is being restricted, authorities are sh!tting in their own beds.

As has the still unrefuted response, "but not at any cost".

Restrictions annoy some people. Some annoyed people become unreasonably uncooperative for the sake of spite. That militates the aims of those applying the restrictions. Those applying restrictions should not retard their own aims. Those seeking mitigation should not allow emotions ("get those vax-hesitant f*ckers") to abase judgement. Every measure should be evaluated by the yardstick: "Is this meaningful, or is it just performance bullsh!t of very little utility?"

As long as anyone can ask why only one of two roughly equivalent things is being restricted, authorities are sh!tting in their own beds.
Agree with everything you say, minus any equivalency whatsoever between obesity and an infectious disease.

I mean equivalency between, say, two businesses: one required to check passport and one not, or one closed and one not. Not between communicable and non-communicable conditions.

Agree with everything you say, minus any equivalency whatsoever between obesity and an infectious disease.
The equivalency is between vaccine passports and mandates to protect healthcare capacity and obesity and tobacco use which are massive public health issues and also drain healthcare capacity. Vaccine passports, mandates and masking have been found to wholly fail at containing the spread of a respiratory virus. If they were so effective, tell me where you can use your Ontario Government Vaccine QR code tonight to safely do something. The first places locked down where the ones that required a passport/mandate (hello 25% workplace posture in the CAF). So what safety did they provide? What spread did they stop? Just like that garbage mask you're wearing on your face. We've had hundreds of thousands of COVID-19 cases since masking mandates came in. Maybe if we just mask harder, take your 15th booster and stop breathing indoors then we'll finally beat this thing.

Vaccines do nothing to stop spread, they only reduce hospitalizations. Conservative estimates showed Ontario was at least double the amount of cases per day than were reported on positive tests. That's upwards of 40,000 new infections per day on the low end, and likely a lot more. Our Federal Minister of Health is living in an absolute dream world if he thinks more vaccination will stop COVID-19. This isn't smallpox or polio, we've never successfully vaccinated away a respiratory virus before. South Africa has half our vaccination rate, significantly higher population density and they didn't panic or collapse.

The equivalency is between vaccine passports and mandates to protect healthcare capacity and obesity and tobacco use which are massive public health issues and also drain healthcare capacity. Vaccine passports, mandates and masking have been found to wholly fail at containing the spread of a respiratory virus. If they were so effective, tell me where you can use your Ontario Government Vaccine QR code tonight to safely do something. The first places locked down where the ones that required a passport/mandate (hello 25% workplace posture in the CAF). So what safety did they provide? What spread did they stop? Just like that garbage mask you're wearing on your face. We've had hundreds of thousands of COVID-19 cases since masking mandates came in. Maybe if we just mask harder, take your 15th booster and stop breathing indoors then we'll finally beat this thing.

Vaccines do nothing to stop spread, they only reduce hospitalizations. Conservative estimates showed Ontario was at least double the amount of cases per day than were reported on positive tests. That's upwards of 40,000 new infections per day on the low end, and likely a lot more. Our Federal Minister of Health is living in an absolute dream world if he thinks more vaccination will stop COVID-19. This isn't smallpox or polio, we've never successfully vaccinated away a respiratory virus before. South Africa has half our vaccination rate, significantly higher population density and they didn't panic or collapse.

Actually, no. Brad explained exactly what equivalency he was referencing:

I mean equivalency between, say, two businesses: one required to check passport and one not, or one closed and one not. Not between communicable and non-communicable conditions.

As to your other points, I'll state once more what has been explained over and over and over again: the vaccination goal is not to eliminate COVID. It is to protect the healthcare system. Those who are vaccinated are less likely to require hospitalization or ICU care.

I agreed in principle with another post of yours - at some point we will need to strike a new balance in order to live with COVID. Whether that becomes a reality due to increased immunity, increased vaccination rates, milder COVID variants, or a combination thereof is anyone's guess.

Edited to add:

I understand your frustration with some
public health measure and their purported utility. I live in Alberta and we've had a much easier ride in that regard. I agree that a lot of the restrictions don't seem logical.

My original reply was mainly in response your comparison with obesity, whether it was tongue-in-cheek or not.

True enough to change the headline in a later version of the same story :)
Screenshot 2022-01-09 072046.jpg

Saw this in the news,

It may, or may not, have an effect on the decison to vax, or not to vax, on some of the vaccine hesitant.

True enough to change the headline in a later version of the same story :)
View attachment 68010

My best friend and neighbour here in Ontario is vaccine hesitant.
Pretty sure that would be enough incentive for him to adjust his "firmly held beliefs". I am sure I would.

Proof of vaccination to buy alcohol has been a requirement in many provinces now, I doubt it has an affect on Covid numbers. People will find a way to buy it - Canex's that sell alcohol don't ask for proof of vaccination as an example.

If buying alcohol drives people to get vaccinated, we are in deep trouble as a society.

Back