• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CELE COURSE IN KINGSTON

CELKING

Inactive
Reaction score
Does somebody can brief about the CELE course or training in Kingston?
I currently take an english language for my profile.
What do I need to be a good CELE officer

Thanks

CELKING said:
Does somebody can brief about the CELE course or training in Kingston?
Do you have any specific questions? I'm only a few weeks into it - so far it's a lot of powerpoint, self study and a couple of assignments.

I currently take an english language for my profile.
What do I need to be a good CELE officer?

Isn't that the million dollar question? I would say similar characteristics and skills required for any officer to be a good CELE officer (integrity, honesty, loyalty, leadership...), as well as a solid technical background. You don't necessarily need to have a computer engineering degree (it helps), but your eyes shouldn't glaze over when someone starts talking to you about anything from carrier frequencies to TCP/IP.

I'm sure those with a few more years can add a few more points.

DVessey said:
Do you have any specific questions? I'm only a few weeks into it - so far it's a lot of powerpoint, self study and a couple of assignments.

Isn't that the million dollar question? I would say similar characteristics and skills required for any officer to be a good CELE officer (integrity, honesty, loyalty, leadership...), as well as a solid technical background. You don't necessarily need to have a computer engineering degree (it helps), but your eyes shouldn't glaze over when someone starts talking to you about anything from carrier frequencies to TCP/IP.

I'm sure those with a few more years can add a few more points.

How long did you have to wait to get on course? I am currently on OJT waiting to get on course for the CELE in Kingston and am being told it could up to a year?

To the OP, the recruitment site lists the degrees needed to be a cele officer, but it helps to have a tech background as mentioned above. I did computer science and worked in the industry for 15yrs

jacksparrow said:
How long did you have to wait to get on course? I am currently on OJT waiting to get on course for the CELE in Kingston and am being told it could up to a year?

To the OP, the recruitment site lists the degrees needed to be a cele officer, but it helps to have a tech background as mentioned above. I did computer science and worked in the industry for 15yrs

I went through ROTP, so they knew I was coming through for awhile. I graduated in May, went on OJT for the summer, now on course. They've generally been trying to run two serials of the course per year, so you should be on it by next spring or fall.

Good luck!

To Vessey or other that might know, when is the next CELE course starting in Kingston for 2009?

Hi DVessey,  I was wondering what kind of materials are you studying on course (presently and/or in the future)?  I am interested in pursuing CELE in the future after I am done school.  I have browsed the CF recruiting site and the descriptions provided there are incredibly vague. 

I am a M.Sc. Electrical Eng student right now and  after my thesis is complete I am potentially looking at this position. I have browsed other jobs as well but CELE was one of the only positions that looked like it was entirely based on my education.  That being said however I noticed that they prefer ECE but will take backgrounds such as physics/math etc I would have thought the learning curve would be very steep with those backgrounds.  I am also looking to become certified with the PEO in the future so my career choice will also reflect my abilities to do so. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Just checked the cfsce website and found the list of POs

Qualification Title: CELE(Air) Basic    (DP2 Pri 3)

Intended Audience: 083 Reg

Outline Of Training:

The aim of this course is to prepare personnel to perform the duties of CELE (Air) Officers. The course provides instruction on the following POs:

PO 001 - Use CF C&E Resources to Support a Mission. This PO focuses on selecting the appropriate Air Force and Joint C&E organizations based on a mission; learning C&E organizations and CIS equipment; and selecting the appropriate C&E Branch personnel.
PO 002 - Manage Communications Information Systems (CIS) and Services. This PO focuses on analysing CIS resource requirements to support a mission; establishing policies and procedures; developing CIS maintenance procedures; coordinating CIS maintenance support; directing CIS maintenance; investigating CIS failures; establishing restoration priorities for CIS; and designing Information Technology (IT) infrastructure.
PO  003 - Manage airfield systems
PO 004 - Manage CIS Projects. This PO focuses on developing a project plan; executing a project plan; controlling a project; and closing a project.
PO 005 - Protect Information. This PO focuses on providing advice on Information Protection (IP); obtaining Certification and Accreditation (C&A) for national information systems; performing the duties of a certification agent; coordinating Emission Security (EMSEC) zoning; enforcing information security rules; implementing corrective action in response to security concerns; evaluating IP measures; planning defensive and offensive information operations; ensuring the security posture of networks; preparing computer network operations (CNO) estimates, plans and orders; and conducting Electronic Warfare (EW).
PO 006 - Provide CIS to a Task Force for a Contingency Operation. This PO focuses on participating in the preparation phase, deployment phase, employment phase, and the redeployment phase of a contingency operation.
PO 007 - Manage Military and Civilian Personnel. This PO focuses on conducting the military PDR/PER process; conducting civilian performance management and review; nominating military personnel for CF honours and awards; promoting a positive work environment; resolving individual civilian personnel problems; providing input to a grievance; recommending disciplinary action; managing personnel requirements; and employing reserve personnel.
PO 008 - Perform Business Management Functions. This PO focuses on providing unit input into a Level 3 business plan; preparing a business case to acquire CIS goods and services; manage a unit budget; managing unit CIS equipment inventories; identifying unit CIS equipment, material and service requirements; and developing best business practice options.
PO 009 - Conduct Information Management (IM) Support Activities. This PO focuses on providing input into unit IM policies, directives and procedures; implementing DND’s Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) program; exercising configuration management and change management on IM systems; preparing service Level Agreements (SLA); and applying the principles, best practices, technologies, and standards of the IM environment domain to perform the Management of Recorded Information (MoRI).
PO 010 - Promote Safety in CIS Installations. This PO focuses on identifying CIS safety related hazards and ensuring telecom riggers are employed as directed.
Length of Course: 89 Training days.

Prerequisites: The following critical prerequisites have been identified for this training:

IAP;
BOTP; and
Second Language Training.

For those that just finished the course, can you touch on each PO, what to expect, hints and tips?

Also....what is teh first week like and sorting out of accomodation?

Thx

Back