• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

cell phones and internet/Wi-Fi access during BMQ

mrbill

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm starting BMQ on Sept. 1 and was wondering about a few things. Are cell phones permitted during the course for personal use right from day 1?? (during certain times of the day ie. after 6pm and weekends) And I also use my phone as my alarm clock in the mornings. One of the things on the list of stuff to bring with us is an alarm clock.. Should I still go out and buy one for this? The other thing I was wondering about, is internet access. I do all my banking online (usually from my cell phone) which includes money transfers from one bank to another for mortgage payments and such. Will I still have access to this during the course so I can keep up with these??

In the absence of someone teaching at the school, my understanding is you can definately have your cellphone. They are very handy for courses, covering the alarm clock, camera, letting you handle personal admin and stay in touch with loved ones.

Just make sure it stays on silent (not vibrate, silent) during the day. Best to leave it in your pocket until the day is over. Keep in mind when you do your field portion you may not have access to power to recharge it or may not be permitted to take phones to the field. Best make all your transactions prior to heading to the field.

From http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page

Restricted materials
All electronic devices (cellular phones, iPods, iPads, laptops, etc.) are considered restricted materials in the following manner:
  • No devices can be used/carried during training hours.
  • Cellular phones are allowed on weeknights after training has concluded but no earlier than 6:00pm. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends.
  • All other devices may be allowed on weekends in garrison if there is no training scheduled and if performance has been judged adequate by the instructors.

Giant thread about electronics in the Basic Training sub forum.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/103685.0.html

mrbill said:
I'm starting BMQ on Sept. 1 and was wondering about a few things. Are cell phones permitted during the course for personal use right from day 1?? (during certain times of the day ie. after 6pm and weekends) And I also use my phone as my alarm clock in the mornings. One of the things on the list of stuff to bring with us is an alarm clock.. Should I still go out and buy one for this? The other thing I was wondering about, is internet access. I do all my banking online (usually from my cell phone) which includes money transfers from one bank to another for mortgage payments and such. Will I still have access to this during the course so I can keep up with these??

Do not, I repeat do not have your cell phone on you. If you get caught with it you can get an insubordination charge because I can tell you that your instructors will tell you to leave it in your locker. They are allowed usually for about 30 mins a night, and trust me, during indoc you won't have much more time then that to use it. About wifi, you can go to the mess after indoc and request a WIFI password and use their WIFI. Buy an alarm clock, its very useful plus you can listen to the radio while you sew your kit.

yeah, didn't really think I would want to carry it around with me. I was thinking more for my banking and phone calls (when time permits) and the alarm clock then locking it up when I left the room.. I'd end up breaking it if I had it with me during any sort of training and I wouldn't want to risk getting caught with it on me either.

mrbill said:
... I wouldn't want to risk getting caught with it on me either.

D-30 of BMQ is a bit early to worry about risk management with respects to insubordination and conduct.  Did you get the joining instructions before you posted?

You have a little under a month.  I recommend simplifying your banking and to some extent your life.  Things like having your pay deposited into the same account as your mortgage will make you life easier.  Preparing your family and loved ones for extended times without contact will help you stay focused and unfortunately train them to manage without you.  Keeping one foot outside the course is a sure fire way of getting distracted from your aim of passing BMQ and helping your course mates pass BMQ.  I have seen this cause immeasurable problems on courses and operations.  Sort your affairs.  Don't be an administrative burden.

Once you get to BMQ I recommend following instructions.  This has the inherent benefit of avoiding any insubordination risk.  Staff have a real life to so understand bills, mortgages, etc...  They will in most cases accommodate unless your course is right out to lunch, and even then probably will anyway.  You could try to do banking every night at wherever there is WiFi but the staff will probably catch on pretty quick.

I set my bills up in advance to come out automatically so I wouldn't  have to worry about banking while I was there.

I have some payments that generally come out on my current pay days.. that being said, when is pay day?? I'm getting paid every second friday at the moment with my current job.. but thats only for 3 more weeks...

mrbill said:
I have some payments that generally come out on my current pay days.. that being said, when is pay day??

15th and end month or closest weekday (Mon-Fri) prior to.

Back