• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF 100 : Leave Pass [Merged]

Dimsum said:
That's for Leave Travel Assistance.  I haven't used in a while (parents come to see me) but when I did, I went to the local cop shop to get the CF100 stamped.

Yes, that's what it was. We ended up getting ours signed off by a random RCMP officer at the airport who seemed to have trouble accepting our story at first...obviously his first time signing one.

garb811 said:
There is no such thing as "SDO" or "CTO" or any of the other names people came up with:

Clarification: Do you mean there’s “no such thing” as CTO/SDO etc, as in no official written policy referencing/regarding those terms and their guidelines, or there’s no such thing, as in they don’t exist, period. CTO days are given (and they’re identified as such) at my unit to our RegF and class Bs every week for those who come in outside of their regular hours.

There is no official type of leave called SDO or CTO or anything other than what is in the leave manual and they should never show up on a leave pass. By definition, the way to deal with these kinds of situations is to grant short leave, one of the purposes of which is to, "...compensate, in part, for long hours worked during extended periods of operations/training or working on normal days of rest".

I know that doesn't satisfy everyone or every situation though, which is why non-standard and unofficial leave policies start happening at the local level...

Edit to add: but the best way to deal with recurring instances of non-standard work hours such as happen at a Reserve Unit with the RFC and Class B folks when they have to work both daytime and evenings regularly over the course of the week is to publish a standing order that details their working hours. That way if they are not scheduled to work as per the standing order, it becomes a weekend day as per the shift worker clause.

Throwaway987 said:
I hear a lot of people suggesting that we should have a blank leave pass on file. It always sounded like baloney to me.

That's stupid and completely unnecessary now with Monitor Mass. Anyone with the right access can go in and generate a leave pass and submit it for processing into the system.  I've done that numerous times for subordinates after some kind of family emergency came up and submitted it on their behalf (for compassionate etc). The actual authorization was given via email, so the leave pass was just to have it in the system.

Similarly, have had a request for leave come in on a weekend and authorized it over the phone or whatever. The actual leave pass was submitted after the fact and processed as per normal (with a comment that it was authorized ahead of time or something to that effect).

It's simply an admin tool to put the days in the system, and for things like getting LTA paid out. Even then if you don't get your leave pass signed at the local post office or whatever, you can always do a statutory declaration verifying that you did, in fact, go to wherever you were authorized to go and get the reimbursements under that program.  I haven't gotten a physical leave pass back in about three years, but still puzzled why they bother to print it and stamp it, rather than just digitally sign the process boxed and keep it all electronic.

garb811 said:
There is no official type of leave called SDO or CTO or anything other than what is in the leave manual and they should never show up on a leave pass. By definition, the way to deal with these kinds of situations is to grant short leave, one of the purposes of which is to, "...compensate, in part, for long hours worked during extended periods of operations/training or working on normal days of rest".

I know that doesn't satisfy everyone or every situation though, which is why non-standard and unofficial leave policies start happening at the local level...

Edit to add: but the best way to deal with recurring instances of non-standard work hours such as happen at a Reserve Unit with the RFC and Class B folks when they have to work both daytime and evenings regularly over the course of the week is to publish a standing order that details their working hours. That way if they are not scheduled to work as per the standing order, it becomes a weekend day as per the shift worker clause.

Another option is to simply grant the time off as a NWD.  We do this at my Sqn for both shift workers (anyone assigned to a formed crew) and non-shift workers (anyone not on a crew). 

Short days work, too...and are nice in that you can do it for either full or half days.

Short days don't work.  COs can only grant 2 a month.  What if, for example, you work 3 weekends days in a month?  What if it's during x-mas time and everyone else gets 2 short but you can't because you worked on previous weekends?  Call it shift work and make those days non-working days, annotated as weekends on leave passes should you need one.

ModlrMike said:
How do they ensure that your leave is correctly accounted for?

When members are authorized leave, they shall be issued a Canadian Forces Leave Request/Authorization, CF 100, completed and administered in accordance with MHRRP, Chapter 16 - Leave. (Leave Policy Manual 2.1.03)

Note the imperative word shall. Somebody is not administering leave correctly.

Apologies, there was a typo in my previous post.  I meant to say that I have never needed a leave pass for weekend leave.

garb811 said:
In this day and age there is zero requirement to have a hard copy leave pass, even to prove you attended some place for LTA purposes, or to "prove" you're on leave in order to cross a border; I've been in since 1985 and not once have I ever been asked to produce a leave pass for any reason, even when accessing medical or dental services at another base while on leave.

YMMV.

While I have personally been asked twice at the US border for my leave pass, and I know others that have as well, I agree that it is a rare occurrence.  However, I reckon that going through the very minor irritation of having a paper copy each time I am heading south is worth it so as not to be turned back at the border, which presumably the US Customs agent could have done had I not produced mine. 

You are certainly right about some of our HR processes being antiquated, but I think it is better than it was 10 years ago.

Back