• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-104's in Markham ,Ontario

Just got back from a visit to Markham.

The gentleman who runs the place is a nice  guy if you take the time to get to know him.  He confirmed that all the birds that are in the Google shot are present, however some are in varying stages of completeness.  Due to todays weather cons, going out to see them on an active air park wasn't permissible, but he has invited me back when the weather is better to take some photos of the planes - some time in the spring.

It turns out he is also the owner of a flyable Vampire, which I've seen in print.  That was when we got to talking about the Heritage Flight programs....but did you know that....

No jet powered military aircraft can be registered and flown in the country of its origin unless it is granted special permission by the DND?  I found this interesting, but when you look at teams like the Starfighters, and all the privately owned Sabres and T-33's stateside, it does make a lot of sense, doesn't it?  That is why the Americans come up here to buy our planes and then take them south of the border, and why many privately owned and flyable former CF planes in Museums aren't being allowed up in the air...fascinating, no?

Bandit

Wouldn't that make an interesting heritage flight for 2009, the Vampire, Mike Potters Sabre MkV, and a CF18.

Had an uncle who flew one of the 1st Vampires in the RCAF - after a very successful war flying Mosquitos.

The Vampire didn't do to well

A number of ex-Vampire pilots were present at 400 Squadron's annual Black Velvet dinner last Friday night. One of them once bailed out of one, and lived.

Bandit1 said:
When I was there I didn't see any Sabre, and the CF-5 beside the Turkish -104 wasn't there either.  In the field there were some -104 tails which I have some pics of somewhere, along with the fueselage's which were scattered around the field.  If I have some time next week I'll swing by the field and see if he'll allow me to take some pictures and get a complete and up to date inventory of what he's got there...

Bandit

Which leads me to my original question, what the point in having bits of jet a/c  laying about? I must obviously be missing some obvious value in this situation.

Baden  Guy said:
Which leads me to my original question, what the point in having bits of jet a/c  laying about? I must obviously be missing some obvious value in this situation.

Methinks the fella might be selling off the parts bit by bit to American flyers.

- The outdoor a/c merely serve to keep you from looking for the Avro Arrow he has in the barn.

(I wish).

;)

The spares are actually parts to planes that haven't been fully put together yet - something that he plans on finishing next year at some point.

TCBF said:
- The outdoor a/c merely serve to keep you from looking for the Avro Arrow he has in the barn.

(I wish).

;)

And even if he did...he'd have to register it in the US to be able to fly it...

- Is that a law or a regulation?  Regulations exist to be changed.

From what he told me it was a law - if anyone knows for sure I'd sure like to know.

Bandit

From what my source in the Heritage Flight told me...

There is no restriction on exRCAF aircraft unless it is in military colours, which requires specific permission.

So there you have it....cheers!

Bandit

The only issue is the ejection seats Transport Canada does not allow them in civilian aircraft so any military jets have to have the seats deactivated. The Sabre at Vintage  Wings will have a ejection seat since they are working in conjunction with DND on the Golden Hawk Sabre for 2009.

K225, the civilian Alpha Jets used by Top Aces do have an ejection seat and they are civilian registered.

Max

K225 said:
The only issue is the ejection seats Transport Canada does not allow them in civilian aircraft so any military jets have to have the seats deactivated.

Source ?

Back