• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-18 fighter jet crashes in northern Quebec - Pilot safe

link with a little bit of info on the 747 crash in Kuala lumpur i refered to earlier.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_details.cgi?date=02191989&reg=N807FT&airline=Flying+Tigers

Disussed it during HPMA, A/C had started into an ILS aproach to rwy 33 but when he was not Getiing the ILS on his instruments for the intended runway he asked if the ILS was down. ATC informed him this was the case.   ATC offered an ILS aproach to another runway but the A/C decided to carry out and NDB aproach   to the original runway even though he did not have the required publication.   Aircraft impacted ground ( side of a mountain) short of the runway.

I think you might want to check your data.  A pelican?  In Cold Lake?  Don't think so, since they are ocean coastal birds, mainly on the pacific.  Don't want to be picky, but thanking my stars for that zoology course all those years ago.
mover1 said:
Don't blame the pilot, and don't say he was inexperienced....yet

In Cold Lake in the late 90's an Amrican in an F-16 hit a pelican on a bombing run. Took his canopy and helmet off. Cut him up good too.

F-18's have been know to go down due to generator problems. Losing power etc etc.
But lets wait for the facts before we speculate too much.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs/docs/Reports/fti_e.asp

ChrisC said:
Pelicans in Cold Lake...what's next, penguins in Mexico?

When referring to more than one penguin, please use the phrase "penguin associates."

Pelicans in Cold Lake

I'm sure pelicans will go to anywhere there is water.  Case in point: low level nav in Moose Jaw and my instructor and I actually ducked when a PELICAN whizzed by the canopy.

Zoomie said:
Sorry partner - you're playing with the big boys now - it's easy to be an armchair pilot, a lot tougher to be a professional one...

Hey, all you need is a Top Gun reference and you're in.

Cheers,

Maverick

You don't have time to think up there, if you think, you're dead!

bullsh*t, you can be mine.......DO DO DO     DO-DO-DO-DO-DO    DO    DO-DO-DO........

Strike said:
You're dangerous!

Ahhh, memories of HPMA... ;)

HAHAHA...

"There's a bogey at 9 o'clock"

"What are you talking about that's the 630 to boston"

"You guys are dangerous"

anyways....waaaaaay off topic  ;D

So, did anyone catch sight of that MiG 28?

ChrisC said:
Pelicans in Cold Lake...what's next, penguins in Mexico?

OK a really big F$#%@# bird with long legs and likes to eat fish. RE PELICAN!!!!!

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article771.html

Here's the link, Heres the story.

Thursday, September 28, 2000 - Investigators have determined a bird strike caused the crash of an Air Force F-16CG fighter jet June 21 on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range in Alberta, Canada.

The pilot of the aircraft, Capt. Richard Pietrykowski, from the 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base Utah, ejected safely and sustained only minor injuries. The F-16 impacted the ground in a lightly forested muskeg area of the weapons range and was completely destroyed.

According to the investigation report released today by Air Combat Command, the crash occurred when a mature American White Pelican struck the canopy of the F-16. The pelican penetrated the windscreen, causing structural failure of the canopy and heads-up display. Debris from the canopy, the HUD and the pelican struck the pilot, causing confusion, disorientation and vision loss.

Pietrykowski ejected from the aircraft and was picked up by Canadian search and rescue forces. At the time of the accident, Pietrykowski and his unit were taking part in the Maple Flag joint training exercise.

Back