• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Diving Accident My Rights

sharpshooter330

Inactive
Reaction score
I tore tore my trap and ligaments in my lower back during a CF  diving accident.  I was unable to walk properly for 5 months and the ligaments  and trap required 7 months of physio and rest to heal. I completed a CF 98 and have numerous witness statements which all say the injuries are directly related to cf service.  I submitted the app for the two back injuries with VA last Augus, Feb 4th it made it to PEI for review. But I'm sure it will be a while. Also I still am unable to run, skate play floor hockey, basketball or any activity that has repetitive impact on my lower back without flaring it up. My MO said there is more then likely scar tissue in my lower back.

Does anyone on here know what VA pays out for my situation? Am I am entitled to a disability award in your opinion?

Any advice is welcomed!!!

From the sounds of it, you are trying to do this by yourself, which is typical.

GET SOME HELP!!

Numerous people here can direct you to different paths, but only you can follow up on them. Do it.

None of us here can tell you what a typical settlement from VAC is for your injuries - there seems to be a fairly wide range, and sometimes it isn't entirely clear how they arrive at the final percentage.  What I will say with your VAC application, is be as honest and detailed as possible in the pain/physical/psychological impact, and family impact as possible.  This will help them determine the settlement.  Both VAC and the Royal Canadian Legion can help you prepare your claim.  These are free services, and I do recommend them.  I've been working with ill and injured soldiers for a number of years now, and I know how hard it is to sit down and complete these forms.

First off - have you been in touch with the local Integrated Personnel Support Centre? They can help you in determining which benefits and services you are currently entitled to through the CAF.  They can also help you in coordinating any Vocational Rehabilitation.  If you need any contact info on how to reach them, send me a message, or email me at paul.barnshaw@forces.gc.ca, or call at 613-995-5085.

The IPSC can provide access to funding for services such as groundskeeping and snow removal.  They can coordinate Return To Duty programs, or Voc Rehab.  If your injuries require and sort of home or vehicle modifications, they can coordinate and fund it.

You've mentioned PTSD, and I would also recommend that you look into joining a local OSISS group (Operational Stress Injury Social Support).  Just being able to meet with people who are dealing with the same issues can be very beneficial (I know, I've been part of OSISS for several years now).

There is also support for your wife - it is very hard for our loved ones when we go through this.  Unless they are a Mental Health professional, nothing in their life has prepared them for this.  OSISS does have support groups for spouses as well.  There are also support systems through the Military Family Resource Centre - they have a Social Worker Family Liaison Officer, whose works to help the families, and if needs be, direct them to the right resources.

Finally, you're not alone - don't isolate or withdraw, don't give up on a future.  If you need help, reach out for it, there are many of us who have gone through trials before, and are willing to help.

sharpshooter330 said:
Should I go to the media or will that make the situation worse?
As someone who's worked in the media in a previous life, I'd say try the official channels first (Staff Weenie has shared some good places to start).  When you speak to media, you can only control what you say, not what they hear and not what they write or what people see/hear/read, so that's a pretty risky route to go down as a first go.

Some other good words of advice ....
GAP said:
GET SOME HELP!!

Numerous people here can direct you to different paths, but only you can follow up on them. Do it.
Staff Weenie said:
Finally, you're not alone - don't isolate or withdraw, don't give up on a future.  If you need help, reach out for it, there are many of us who have gone through trials before, and are willing to help.
Good luck with the fight.

Another thing- where is your Chain of Comd in all of this? Your Div Chief, Div O and CO should be supporting you in all of this. Are they aware of the extent of your issues?

They are providing me with some support, .  I'm not going to the media, that's the last thing I want to deal with. I'm wondering what recourse I have besides the lengthy appeal process.

sharpshooter330 said:
I'm not going to the media, that's the last thing I want to deal with.
Just a friendly warning, then - this is a public forum, and "public" can include media.  Be careful about what you post in public.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought this was a military only forum. As u see the post is a little less confrontational. Just looking for my options. 

Thanks everyone.

While the majority of members are serving or former serving members, there are loads of applicants, thinking-about-its, interested civilians, and, yes, a few reporters registered.

Plus, anybody can read posts without registering.

My recent experience saw my application for well-documented back and knee injuries submitted at time of retirement in November 2013 and a lump sum cheque arrived in time for Christmas 2014.  Note - these results may not be indicative of what you may face but mine went smoothly.  I am now covered with direct billing to VAC with my civilian physician's referral for 20 physio visits and 15 massage therapy visits per year for my back condition.

Simian Turner said:
My recent experience saw my application for well-documented back and knee injuries submitted at time of retirement in November 2013 and a lump sum cheque arrived in time for Christmas 2014.  Note - these results may not be indicative of what you may face but mine went smoothly.  I am now covered with direct billing to VAC with my civilian physician's referral for 20 physio visits and 15 massage therapy visits per year for my back condition.

- They may also have covered you for medication if you are out of the CF and they will base that on the meds that the CF issued you during your last year in, or so. You will get a letter specifying the meds VAC covers. If you are still in, you will get your meds through the CF, natch.

Back