• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Equivalencies and Accreditations - Q&A

Sly@CDA

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone has any questions WRT equivalencies for CF to CF courses and or accreditation from CF quals to civilian university or colleges courses. Just ask.

CF to CF courses as in PLARs for a component transfer?

I'll bite...  >:D

1. Physician Assistant.
2. Med Tech 6A
3. PMed Tech 6A

Equivalency to Civilian university programs, please.

Prairie Dog said:

1. Physician Assistant.
2. Med Tech 6A
3. PMed Tech 6A

McMaster University has started a PA program

Prairie Dog said:

1. Physician Assistant.
2. Med Tech 6A
3. PMed Tech 6A

I didn't even know the CF allowed people to become PA's. Neat!

A lot of colleges will give you PLAR for your CF experience as well, and then after you've done a few courses you can transfer to University and get a degree. It's a bit more work but it will leave you with a practical diploma, a theoretical degree, and functional work experience to boot.

Neo Cortex said:
I didn't even know the CF allowed people to become PA's. Neat!A lot of colleges will give you PLAR for your CF experience as well, and then after you've done a few courses you can transfer to University and get a degree. It's a bit more work but it will leave you with a practical diploma, a theoretical degree, and functional work experience to boot.

The CF is practically the ONLY employer of PAs in the whole country.  I THINK some places out in remote locations/praries are starting to employ  them but I am not to sure.  The McMaster PA program just started its first semester this september (don't know about U Man).

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority hires PA's, Health Force Ontario hires PA's, as well as exploration and the odd travel medicine companies at the moment.  The list is expanding as things go - more provinces are either comng on line with their own pilot programs or
starting to ask the questions to do so.

MM

PuckChaser said:
CF to CF courses as in PLARs for a component transfer?

When CT your equivalencies will be divided into three categories; leadership (PLQ,ILQ), environmental (CAP) and MOC/MOSID (QL5A). It all depends if you are staying in the same occupations or CT to an Officer occupations.

Hatchet Man said:
The CF is practically the ONLY employer of PAs in the whole country.  I THINK some places out in remote locations/praries are starting to employ  them but I am not to sure.  The McMaster PA program just started its first semester this september (don't know about U Man).

Ooh. I knew the PA program was big in the US (along with Nurse Practitioners) but I didn't know anything about any Canadian PA programs/employers.

No thread hijacking intentioned: What's the difference between a PMed Tech and a Med Tech?

Neo Cortex said:
No thread hijacking intentioned: What's the difference between a PMed Tech and a Med Tech?

Med Techs treat patients who have an injury/illness, PMed Tech try to prevent the injury/illness.

At the simplest level, we try to put the Med Techs out of work!  ;D

Here's the basic job descriptions.  (The PMed one is from the US Navy but it's pretty much what we do):

Med Tech

PMed Tech

Also, PMed Tech is not a direct entry trade, you have to be qualified QL5 Med Tech before you can apply for OT.  On the last PMed QL5 course, they accepted QL3 qualified Med Techs with 36 months service but I'm not sure if that will remain the same for subsequent courses.

PMedMoe said:
Med Techs treat patients who have an injury/illness, PMed Tech try to prevent the injury/illness.

At the simplest level, we try to put the Med Techs out of work!   ;D

Here's the basic job descriptions.  (The PMed one is from the US Navy but it's pretty much what we do):

Med Tech

PMed Tech

Also, PMed Tech is not a direct entry trade, you have to be qualified QL5 Med Tech before you can apply for OT.  On the last PMed QL5 course, they accepted QL3 qualified Med Techs with 36 months service but I'm not sure if that will remain the same for subsequent courses.

Ooh, so the "P" stands for Preventative?

The PRes ruined me for acronyms. Every "P" is Primary to me ::)

Back