• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

George Wallace said:
Interesting.  Other LEOs have said the opposite......Well .... no real leg up.

I think uzi means easier in the sense that the applicant would already understand Law Enforcement, and what will be expected during the interviewing and assessment stages. That and Academy/College/Recruit Class will be slightly easier.

Nobody said it'd give them a leg up... But it does in some ways.

What you have to remember is, as with the military, civ LE agencies look for the most qualified candidates. That could be any amalgamation of languages, degrees, volunteerism, clean records, and life experience. Being in the military may slightly help your application to, say, TPS, however, if you haven't volunteered an hour in your life, you only have your gr. 12 or PF, you've been arrested, speak only one language, and the ONLY thing you've got going for you is military service, your shot at making it in LE isn't very high (in fact, you probably wouldn't have even made it into the CAF). If you're 50/50 with some of those criteria, you're probably an average candidate. However, if you speak both official languages, you have a degree, you have volunteered your whole life, never touched drugs, never been arrested, and you've got your military service, you'd probably be considered over someone who's done everything right and never served, because military service gives you very unique experiences that someone who doesn't, or has never served, would never be able to equal. As to MOC, I personally don't think that being an MP would be considered "better" than any other MOC. At the end of the day, you dedicated a part of your life to serving this country, and the experience gained in that, regardless of trade, would be a bonus to any aspiring LEO. That's just my  :2c:.

MPHopeful13 said:
Being in the military may slightly help your application to, say, TPS, however, if you haven't volunteered an hour in your life, <snip>

Worth noting for out-of-town candidates.

Q: What volunteer experience would you recommend?

A: There is no volunteer experience which is deemed to be of greater value than the other. Therefore, candidates are encouraged to volunteer their time, in an unpaid fashion, with any of the legal organization within the city. (sic)
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/uni_faq.php#q32

TPS Auxiliary could be an option worth considering as an unpaid volunteer within the city.

Benefits:
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/aux_benefits.php

"Experience gained as an Auxiliary volunteer will allow a prospective candidate for the regular service to determine his/her suitability for the position of police constable."

ObedientiaZelum said:
3 years in an infantry battalion?  You won't get much credit for that.  Police will be looking for life experience over army stuff.

This is silly. Everything you do in life is in fact life experience. To say police will be looking for other things that the army is ridiculous (sure there are better experiences). The army shows determination and great experience in team work and a vast veriety of other useful skills that translate to police, and many other professions

ForeverLearning said:
This is silly. Everything you do in life is in fact life experience. To say police will be looking for other things that the army is ridiculous (sure there are better experiences). The army shows determination and great experience in team work and a vast veriety of other useful skills that translate to police, and many other professions
Are you posting that as an expert on what three years in the infantry provides, or as an expert on police recruiting?

I
ForeverLearning said:

I like your username.. keep learning.

I'm not sure what Jump wings have to do with applying to the police. It's not really a transferable skill (unless you're applying to the S. African police) I'm sure there are other courses you could do as an infantryman such as comms that would be more useful.

ForeverLearning said:

Keep telling yourself that. The majority of people I worked with in the CF would never make good cops. It will generally many years before anything You do in the CF translates to value added for policing.

Let me be very clear: the police are NOT looking for army experience. They are looking for a broad array of competences, personality traits, and experiences- SOME of which you MAY enhance in the army. That also assumes that in those three years you don't injure yourself or get in shit, both of which are quite easy to do. There will be no shortage of fools and idiots surrounding you, and it can be easy to get drawn into fun that compromises a potential police career.

The army is NOT a shortcut to policing. Your time is better spent volunteering and getting an education if that is your goal. Some do make the leap successfully, but it tends not to be what they did in the military that seals the deal for them.

Brihard said:
Keep telling yourself that. The majority of people I worked with in the CF would never make good cops. It will generally many years before anything You do in the CF translates to value added for policing.

Let me be very clear: the police are NOT looking for army experience. They are looking for a broad array of competences, personality traits, and experiences- SOME of which you MAY enhance in the army. That also assumes that in those three years you don't injure yourself or get in crap, both of which are quite easy to do. There will be no shortage of fools and idiots surrounding you, and it can be easy to get drawn into fun that compromises a potential police career.

The army is NOT a shortcut to policing. Your time is better spent volunteering and getting an education if that is your goal. Some do make the leap successfully, but it tends not to be what they did in the military that seals the deal for them.

I reckon you could say the same about the majority of the population not just people in the CF with regards to their suitability for the police. If you wanna be a police officer you're likely gonna need to volunteer and complete some continuing education, and that remains true regardless of what your background is. I don't think it's fair to say that a 3 year degree makes you anymore suitable to be a police officer than does 3 years in the CF. It all comes down to how you're able to articulate yourself and your experiences when you go through the process. There are no shortcuts to becoming a police officer and everyone has to jump through the hoops regardless of where they've come from. I certainly agree that the police service isn't necessarily going to give you preference for military service, and each service may weigh it differently.

X_para76 said:
I reckon you could say the same about the majority of the population not just people in the CF with regards to their suitability for the police. If you wanna be a police officer you're likely gonna need to volunteer and complete some continuing education, and that remains true regardless of what your background is. I don't think it's fair to say that a 3 year degree makes you anymore suitable to be a police officer than does 3 years in the CF. It all comes down to how you're able to articulate yourself and your experiences when you go through the process. There are no shortcuts to becoming a police officer and everyone has to jump through the hoops regardless of where they've come from. I certainly agree that the police service isn't necessarily going to give you preference for military service, and each service may weigh it differently.

I'd mostly agree- though I'd say that if one lacked education, three years in school would give a lot more value added for the police than one's first three years in the infantry as an NCM. An education of some sort is close to requisite these days. Some folks will still get in with just high school, but not many. One will pick up more transferable skills and applicable knowledge in the first three years of post secondary education than they likely will in their first three years in the combat arms.

Now, if someone's already got a degree or something, and it's a question of get some random Master's degree or do some time in the CF? The diminishing rate of return for education in initially getting into police might suggest some military service as more advantageous at that point... But more than anything it's going to be exactly as you said- how an applicant is able to articulate their skilsl and experiences, wherever they came from.

You're also bang on that the majority of the population aren't suited/competitive enough  to be police. The success rate for RCMP applicants, for instance, has been around 3.5-4% in the past calendar year from writing the initial test to getting through Depot.

Regarding the subject, "What is the most I can gain in three years?"

Becoming a volunteer member of your local police ( if such programs exist with the service you hope to join ) could be a good use of spare time.

"Experience gained as an Auxiliary volunteer will allow a prospective candidate for the regular service to determine his/her suitability for the position of police constable."
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/112487/post-1264554.html#msg1264554

Candidates are only expected to "volunteer a minimum of 150 hours per year".

That leaves time available for a full-time career and other pursuits.

Likewise, if you wish to become a professional firefighter, volunteering ( if they have "vollies" ) with your local fire department  might be worth considering, as ( depending on the collective agreement ) volunteers may receive hiring priority when full-time jobs become available.

ForeverLearning said:

You're not even in yet. Discussion closed.

Do city police officers have time to be CF 'reservists' at all? I am thinking of maybe becoming a police officer, if my CF application is going to take forever to be processed.

Phoenix80 said:
Do city police officers have time to be CF 'reservists' at all? I am thinking of maybe becoming a police officer, if my CF application is going to take forever to be processed.

Yes, civilian police have time to serve as reservists generally. However, this assumes they are already in the reserves and trained. Once you're a police officer, not much of a chance you'll get the two straight months off necessary to become a trained member of the reserves. Basic training is time consuming and is a pursuit in and of itself.

Phoenix80 said:
Do city police officers have time to be CF 'reservists' at all?

Discussions you may find of interest.

Civilian Police Officers Joining Reserves 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/87995.0.html

Reservists in the civilian police?? 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/65667.0/nowap.html

Thank you. I have scheduled a preliminary meeting with a police service recruiter next week. Will have to ask him as well. But thanks again for posting those links.

:)

Phoenix80 said:
Thank you. I have scheduled a preliminary meeting with a police service recruiter next week. Will have to ask him as well. But thanks again for posting those links.

:)

You specifically mentioned city, so that would be to your advantage. Even if transferred to another station, you could still remain at the same armoury throughout your career.

Check with the police Recruiter, but whatever city you end up working for, I suspect their Military Leave Policy will be Corporate, rather than which Agency, Board, Commission, Department or Service you belong to.

According to the TPS website, they have "78 reservists and cadet instructors". That's out of a service of about 7,900 ( sworn and civilian ) members.

If joining the Emergency Services, especially because of the nights and weekend work, it's best to complete your Pres BMQ and trade qualification before starting your full-time career with the city.

That is especially important until off probation ( as an employee ).

You may also find it more profitable to work overtime and paid-duty, but that would be your personal choice.

It appears that being able to roll up a nice fatty is more relevant to RCMP service than military time.  So put the bong away and go old school, all you cop wannabees.    8)

mariomike said:
You specifically mentioned city, so that would be to your advantage. Even if transferred to another station, you could still remain at the same armoury throughout your career.

Check with the police Recruiter, but whatever city you end up working for, I suspect their Military Leave Policy will be Corporate, rather than which Agency, Board, Commission, Department or Service you belong to.

According to the TPS website, they have "78 reservists and cadet instructors". That's out of a service of about 7,900 ( sworn and civilian ) members.

If joining the Emergency Services, especially because of the nights and weekend work, it's best to complete your Pres BMQ and trade qualification before starting your full-time career with the city.

That is especially important until off probation ( as an employee ).

You may also find it more profitable to work overtime and paid-duty, but that would be your personal choice.

From my understanding each police services military leave policy will be dictated by their collective bargaining agreement. At least that's what dictates the OPP's and Correctional services so I'm presuming that would be true for municipal and federal services.

X_para76 said:
From my understanding each police services military leave policy will be dictated by their collective bargaining agreement. At least that's what dictates the OPP's and Correctional services so I'm presuming that would be true for municipal and federal services.

I'm not familiar with provincial or federal Military Leave policies, but this is the policy for the City of Toronto. ( Phoenix80 asked about city police, although he did not indicate which city. )
http://wx.toronto.ca/intra/hr/policies.nsf/9fff29b7237299b385256729004b844b/58a35e5368beb69e852567bd006d7e4b?OpenDocument

Back