• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF PLQ equivalent to BOTP?

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately the PLA for Equivalencies and such are decided by persons in Borden who may not know of what they are assessing.   :-\

Exactly George, that is why it is in your best interest (as you are your own best career manager) to write your memos early and get a PLAR done by the CDA.  It may be too late for this year, if they don't wholesale apply a PLQ=Bypass method.  I haven't heard anything on my equivilency and it has been in for several weeks now.

Again here is the link guys.

http://cda.mil.ca/dlm/engraph/services/accred/milequiv/botp_e.asp  DWAN link

MJP, according to that CFAO CDA is supposed to provide you a reply within 30 days. That said, its not like anyone will start stamping meal cards 'no dessert' if they're late. ;)

The key thing here though is that anyone who is in the commissioning process to submit a PLAR...it won't happen for you automatically, and CDA can't approve what they don't recieve.

Benny, My BOTP ended this past December, the 7th December of 07, so it was quite recent!

As I stated before, get a PLAR done it can't hurt, also like others said, make sure your MPRR is up to date, I am sure the other Armoured (thats all I know so all I will comment about) can attest that an Armour 6A (Dp3A now) goes into more depth about Mission Analysis etc, than what is covered in BOTP, I know this from first hand experience!

I've submitted a PLAR... We'll just have to see what happens now... Granted my PLAR's a little late, but hey, better late then never.

Great to hear.  I too will submit for a PLA and IAP/BOMQ bypass.  Please keep us posted as to its progress.

One point on the PLQ=IAP and ILQ=BMOQ bypass idea.  Don't forget that, with an ILQ qual, the mbr would also presumably have their DP3A (6A) or DP3B (6B) qual's done as well as the experience at that level.  I know for my 6B, we were assessed as both the Tp WO and Tp Ldr.  Its not just as simple as having the ILQ, it is also about the 6x qual's and TI as well.  If you think about it, PLQ quals you as a 'section commander' whereby the 6x's qual you as Pl/Tp/whatever WO/2 ic and beyond, depending on the applicable MOC.  And no I didn't make this up  ;D, its how it was explained to me by a PSO at a UTPNCM info briefing I attended, as I am of the ILQ qualified variety.  Maybe they are changing it to PLQ=BMOQ bypass.  My opinion is that might work positively for the hard army types but I am not so sure about other MOCs. 

Some people might argue my point "but who cares if OCdt Bloggins was 6B qualified as Infantry if they are going Air Log?" to which I will answer simply they have proven the ability to operate at that level before, where as a PLQ qual'd MCpl may not have.  There has to be a line drawn somewhere and I think, based on my own experience and opinion, I support the PLQ=IAP bypass, ILQ=BMOQ bypass system.  I have no answer for the cmbt arms types who have to 'grin and bear it' thru BOTP if they never reached the 6x/ILQ level before Commissioning,  but if the worst it is is 6 weeks of pensionable time and TD, atleast Montreal is close by  ;).

Eye In The Sky said:
  I have no answer for the cmbt arms types who have to 'grin and bear it' thru BOTP if they never reached the 6x/ILQ level before Commissioning,  but if the worst it is is 6 weeks of pensionable time and TD, atleast Montreal is close by  ;).

And you get to hang out and laugh at us young guys running around like chickens with our heads cut off :)

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe they are changing it to PLQ=BMOQ bypass.
As stated in my original post, that is the information I received from CFRG pertaining to CDA's amendment of PLAR's. Those with PLQ would only be required to attend an "Officership Colloquium", which I have been told some already did last year.

PO2FinClk said:
As stated in my original post, that is the information I received from CFRG pertaining to CDA's amendment of PLAR's. Those with PLQ would only be required to attend an "Officership Colloquium", which I have been told some already did last year.

Seen.  However, I like to see it in black and white  ;D.  The last time I was on the CDA Equivalency site, it hadn't been changed.

The LFCO spells out the equivalencies...look it up on Google.

According to the LFCO:

BMQ&SQ = BOTP
PLQ-L = CAP
ILQ = MOSC

LFCO's are not CF policies nor does CLS establish these. Rather they (LFCO's) are intended to further interpret CF policy and as such if CDA changes the PLAR criterion's then LFCO's will have to be amended accordingly. Undoubtedly LFDTS would liaise with CDA on all CLS issues, however just wanted to point that out to ensure no one misterpreted LFCO's for CF guidance.

0tto Destruct said:
The LFCO spells out the equivalencies...look it up on Google.

According to the LFCO:

BMQ&SQ = BOTP
PLQ-L = CAP
ILQ = MOSC

Thats great.  I don't belong to CLS so...means SFA to me  ;)

When i was in st-jean, i've seen ex sgt and wo swung their arms and marched in the building. I found that ridiculous, someone being so many years in the canadian force and not even able to be compatible with a 2lt.
As an Electrical Engineer myself and also a little private in the air force, I just worry about the prospect of my career.

airlady said:
When i was in st-jean, i've seen ex sgt and wo swung their arms and marched in the building. I found that ridiculous, someone being so many years in the canadian force and not even able to be compatible with a 2lt.
As an Electrical Engineer myself and also a little private in the air force, I just worry about the prospect of my career.

There is one standard for everyone on the same course.  What would you have, some people doing one thing, some the other and 'privileged'?  It doesn't work that way, and it wouldn't work that way.  If they do change the equivalency policy to PLQ=BMOQ that....issue...will go away.

airlady said:

You worry about the prospects for your career due to arm-swinging??

Swinging one's arms is part and parcel of marching. It happens on courses, and it happens on parade ALL the time throughout one's career. It's certainly not a sign of being considered "inferior".

Your post has me baffeled.

Even on my QL6s as a Sgt, if we needed to form up and march anywhere as a course, -- that meant we swung our arms. It's what soldiers do when they march.

All sorts of things happen when a person changes occupations/components or becomes an officer.  It can seem a little strange to see a person who only recently was a Sergeant marching with a group of Officer-Cadets, but that is a rather temporary condition.  When I went through a component transfer I went from Capt to 2Lt.  I was happily marching around Gagetown in ranks for a while.  You are on a course, you are on a course with your coursemates.  Besides, it was kind of fun to march again.

As an aside, what does your being an electrical engineer and a private have to do with this?

I appreciate everyone's perspective on the matter and whoever shared their personal experiences of going through the process.  In a military fashion of always trying to gather facts from people who seems to be in the know, I inquired about the matter with the Canadian Defense Academy (as they are the MA of Leadership Training in the CF) and here's what I did receive:

"In order to receive an equivalency to the IAP/BOTP you require the ILQ. Having completed a CF PLQ or JLC will grant you the qualification code of the IAP. However, every request are different, if you have additional courses and acted in a position above your rank, you can request for an equivalency based on your experience and recommendations of your Commanding Officer."

I will always like those generic answers, therefore if in doubt, do submit an PLAR and you never know you might just get granted the BOTP portion.  In my case, as my divisional chain informed me, although I am an exemplary Master Seaman, they do not believe that granting me a BOTP bypass would be in the best interest of the CF, therefore would not recommend to the CO of my current unit to recommend for such.

Best luck for all the others out there, for the ones in my situation, we will meet at BOTP in the near future...

Sorry for digging up an older can of worms, but I would like to know when is the best time to submit a PLAR? I'm currently a PRes NCM, CTing into the ROTP program in Sept 08. Should I submit it now, or wait until I complete the transfer? Thanks.

SMP said:
Sorry for digging up an older can of worms, but I would like to know when is the best time to submit a PLAR? I'm currently a PRes NCM, CTing into the ROTP program in Sept 08. Should I submit it now, or wait until I complete the transfer? Thanks.

Do it now......

Just an update on the subject.  After being appointed to NCdt and being loaded on BOTP, I received an email from a gal working at the CDA in the BTL Management Officer Cell. 

In a nutshell she mentioned that BMOQ (AIP and BOTP) granting procedures for members with previous leadership courses under their belt, were in the middle of being changed.  Therefore strongly suggesting members in my situation (CF PLQ qualified and outstanding potential at the next rank...) to submit a PLAR.

As well, she mentioned that in the past few weeks, several members only holding a CF PLQ had been granted a BMOQ bypass and only had to complete an Officership Colloquium.

Needless to say, the memo is in and I am awaiting to see what will happen.

Back