• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Replaces "Arty-Sim-ed" Porta Pottie @ Gagetown

Wow - bringing back memories!!

85 - burned down tree with trip flare that Sgt had hooked up

86 - attackiing enemy posn, enemy throws arty sim directly at us and hits the guy next to me in chest who thankfully had quick reflexes and a bit of luck.  He very quickly back pedalled before the bloody thing went bang.  Neither of us was too impressed with the enemy soldier with his head sticking out of the trench and laughing.  I am sure some of you here remember what happens to a head sticking out of a trench during an attack in the 80's (maybe even still happens?).  Double field goal that day.

Sounds like the staff I had on my Leadership Course..... threw arty-sims at us and refused to mark the ones that did not go off or inform Range Control.... They even tried to detonate it with another arty sim...... Good thing we had a section Engineers some even Reg Force... so we marked them with foot powder and took Grids of them and sent them into Range Control.....

meh!
next fire in the range/trg area will get rid of it along with some the blanks that students get rid of so that they don't have to clean their weapons too much... or the weather will get to the igniter and the compound and render it safe [/cynicism]

Bonko said:
While out in beautiful Meaford on my SQ one of the guys in the next platoon over to us got up close and personal with an arty sim and it burnt his nice little hooch to smithereens. Same course as well we put one in an empty 7.62 ammo box and that thing must have gone around 75 meters in the area and nearly fell through the OC's tent!

back in the late 80's putting a ammo can upside down over an arty sim with out lid was sop during a safety demo just to show the power of it.  100 ft in the air was average. and trust me Gagetown is not new to arty sims in the porti johns.

This thread reminds me of the SCTV skit - Farm Film Report.

"It blowed up"

"Blowed up reel gud" ;D

Heh heh heh, I loved SCTV. I always liked the garbagecan full of water with said arty sim tossed in the SSF showcase.

I recall a night platoon attack during my Ph 2 Artillery Course where paraflares got used like M-72s.  It is a wonder that any of us lived through the 80s...

Arty sims in Gagetown. Chainguns in Suffield. Range fires in Wainwright.

Poor defenceless blue rockets!  ;D

SeaKingTacco said:
I recall a night platoon attack during my Ph 2 Artillery Course where paraflares got used like M-72s.  It is a wonder that any of us lived through the 80s...
One of my peers did this on ex in the mid 80's and bragged about it. I just shook my head and wondered where some people got their brains.....they heard trains and took a slow one.

Heh heh heh, I remember when we changed from the pull string para-flare to the twist type. One of the troops was about to launch and I noticed he was wearing the wool inserts.

"You might want to put on leather or take those off, otherwise WHOOOOSH.....Thunk!". "Damn, that burned my glove!". "Yep, slippery sucker eh?"

Ah well, now we contend with that slide safety that I find is somewhat sticky in the cold environment. :camo:

The safety isn't too sturdy, if it sticks, a good solid twist, the safety fails, and the flare fires.

It's enough to stop it from firing accidentally, but the first dozen or so of the newest ones I fired I couldn't actually figure out how the safety worked, I just twisted hard and it fired.

Don't know if anyone's thrown the "new" t-flashes, but they seem to be safer then the old ones... the tubes are sturdier and wrapped in plastic, they blow out the ends, rather then exploding in the centre... makes spotting duds harder, but in the even one ever went off in your hand, you'd probably have a better chance of walking away with your fingers...

Reference the arty sim in an ammo can demonstration. My course WO did the same demo on my QL3 Infantry (Wainwright PPCLI). Funny.

Damn thing blew sky high and came down all warped.

Can remember when a certain Regiment acted as Enemy during an exercise in the early 70s. We were mounted on Lynxes and M113s and I can remember more than a few paraflares hitting our vehicles. A big blob of light hitting the trim vane of my M113 and ricocheting overhead. And then there was the infanteer we captured with about twenty thunderflashes inside his combat shirt with the handles cut off, leaving only the charge !!! And then there was the bright soul who fired a 20 Pounder  blank across  an open 21/2 ton loaded with gas in jerry cans.

Boy we sure were stupid (and exceedingly lucky!!) in our younger days.

tango22a

ArmyRick said:
Reference the arty sim in an ammo can demonstration. My course WO did the same demo on my QL3 Infantry (Wainwright PPCLI). Funny.

Damn thing blew sky high and came down all warped.

thats cuz your crse WO was warped.... >:D

The units I was in in 80z early nineties, the only pyro we saw was during the helmet/ammocan "safety" demonstration. Maybe the section 2ic might be lucky enough to get a pains wessex smoke, so we could get our nostrils all purple. Nothing keeps the troops safe like not having pyro to issue! If anyone would have wasted an arty sim on an EMPTY blue rocket (now you know where the nickname comes from) i would want them charged for wasting a good piece of battle sim

SeaKingTacco said:

Ha! I had a young Pte (OPFOR) fire a paraflare like it was a RPG at a Griffon! This was around Area 50.. in Gagetown.

TN2IC said:
Ha! I had a young Pte (OPFOR) fire a paraflare like it was a RPG at a Griffon! This was around Area 50.. in Gagetown.

I hope you ensured he was charged.

If I ever catch some stupid little fucker doing that, a charge will be the least of his worries, and whatever happens to me as a result will be more than worth it.

Back