• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Video Game? - Merged Thread

Ex-Dragoon said:
Post wherever you want but remember people in here have actually done what you have only read and heard about, so before posting do yourself a favour and remember where you are, will only save you the embarrasment later as you have no doubt already learned.

Also...before you bring a point forward please remember who YOU are (or aren't) and look carefully at whom you may be speaking to. Chances are they've been around the block once or twice...

Slim
Staff

I don't know if this has already been posted, but, here it goes:

It seems the CF is actually building a mod for the game "SWAT 4", to better train officers. Screenshots and an interview are posted at http://www.hot-swat-mods.com/

No seems about it, I was in Gagetown this summer at the Infantry School on PAT platoon, they had us playing SWAT for hours at a time, working with very, very early parts of this mod. Can't wait to see the end result.

I just finished beating Call of Duty 3 for PS2 and there is a fair bit of Canadian missions in it, it's a good game that takes place in World War 2.

With many new games coming out that emulate war from "Call of Duty" and "Battlefield" how many of these show Canadian soldiers?
Has the CF even been spoken to about this topic or shown any interest in it?

(not trying to be rude here, I do know that war is a serious matter where many good people risk their lives.)

Do I know if the CF (or any former or current members) have spoken with eager game developers... No clue.  I do know JTF-2 was included in the models used to represent world class tier one operators in a game sold last year called : 'Medal of Honor : Warfighter', which despite its painfully awful gameplay, it did have a couple of interesting features in the game which simulated SOME aspects of that shadowy world correctly enough to get some members of the US special forces in trouble for working too closely with game designers. 

All that aside, my opinion on the matter is that while imitation is a great form of flattery, and I am glad anytime CANSOF (or any other serving member of this fine nation) is shown respect and admiration, I really lean towards the preference of having their image be more about the 'quiet professional' as opposed to the guys on billboards and in video game commercials. Reason is in my eyes fame often attracts not only annoying groupies, but sometimes the more sinister crowd, so keeping our shadowy warriors in the shadows makes sense to me personally. 

And really... If any more recognition is going to materialize, I personally would rather have it come from the general public who might be inclined to lobby with a palatable tone for better funding and care for our service members, not the Call of Duty 'ninjasniper' crowd.

Just my $.02

Cheers

You take the sinister crowd and I'll take the annoying groupies!  ;)

There is a game called Wargame: Red Dragon which pits Nato against the Warsaw Pact and Canada  :cdn: seems to be well represented. It's a RTS and you can Play as just one nation under the skirmish section. The only reason I bought it is because Canada is in it and I'm enjoying it.  Check it out  and see what you think.

I love WG:RD, but rarely play a Canadian deck. The ADATS is pretty awesome, but the lack of almost anything else doesn't make it nearly as fun for me.

That said, this game is just shy of everything I want in an RTS. The only thing else I would ever want is the ability to control individual units/soldiers. Anyways, I just want more and more of this game.

NinerSix said:
I love WG:RD, but rarely play a Canadian deck. The ADATS is pretty awesome, but the lack of almost anything else doesn't make it nearly as fun for me.

That said, this game is just shy of everything I want in an RTS. The only thing else I would ever want is the ability to control individual units/soldiers. Anyways, I just want more and more of this game.

NinerSix... WG:RD is absolutely amazing!  You're right though, the Cdn Deck pretty much sucks...  I am a bigger fan of the Total War series though... hooked on Rome 2 right now!

I was still playing the original Rome Total War in between Wargames. I was really digging the whole Roma Surrectum mod, which I still need to play more of before moving on to Rome 2.

Check out America's Army Proving Ground.. its free.. abd a fun game based on communication.. search for the 312th servers.. ill be on as "-=312th=-lame"

NinerSix said:
I was still playing the original Rome Total War in between Wargames. I was really digging the whole Roma Surrectum mod, which I still need to play more of before moving on to Rome 2.

I still play the original Rome:  Total War as well... I play Europa Barborum mod.  Total War:  Rome 2 was terrible when it was released, SEGA forced the devs to release an unfinished product and it took some severe beatings from users as a result.  15 patches later and with the just recently released Emperor Edition, the game is finally living up to its namesake.

My favorite Total War game is still Empire: Total War just because of the scope of the game and the different theatres available to play in..... As well, I just really like the gunpowder era.  Shogun 2:  Fall of the Samurai comes in a close second.

NinerSix said:

Though its interesting to see how the CAF may of shaped up if the cold war didnt end

Back