• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT and MOC

alvin52

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I just did my CFAT a week ago and apparently I did really well. My question is what does the CFAT determine. I was told the CFAT determines your trait and MOC, and the cpl told me that I qualified for a lot. I'm wondering when do I get to choose my trait and whether or not it matters because I'm applying to a reserve unit.

Thanks

All that really matters is that you qualified for the trades you applied for.  If you applied to be a Reserve Infantry Soldier and you qualified for all trades then you are good to go.  CFAT predicts success on basic and occupation training.  Virtually all personnel applying to the CF need to write and qualify on the CFAT.  Congrats!

Alvin52,

What the CFAT is intended to do, is give CFRG an idea as to what trades you are best suited to, based on your practical application of Grade 10 (Prov of Ont) curriculum.  Lets face it, not every one is a rocket scientist.  Some people struggle in certain area (math and language comprehension are the big ones).  In most trades these are big issues if someone can not add/subtract/multiply/divide or understand the instruction given to them.  By administering this test, It gives CFRG an idea as to whether the applicant will be successful in their chosen trade rather than spending thousands of dollars to find out that the person is just not "smart" enough for that trade.
Some trades don't require to much in the way of smarts (I won't mention which ones as I'm sure you figure it out during career), and other require a lot of it (again, to be fare I won't mention which ones).

Love793 said:
Alvin52,

What the CFAT is intended to do, is give CFRG an idea as to what trades you are best suited to, based on your practical application of Grade 10 (Prov of Ont) curriculum.  Lets face it, not every one is a rocket scientist.  Some people struggle in certain area (math and language comprehension are the big ones).  In most trades these are big issues if someone can not add/subtract/multiply/divide or understand the instruction given to them.  By administering this test, It gives CFRG an idea as to whether the applicant will be successful in their chosen trade rather than spending thousands of dollars to find out that the person is just not "smart" enough for that trade.
Some trades don't require to much in the way of smarts (I won't mention which ones as I'm sure you figure it out during career), and other require a lot of it (again, to be fare I won't mention which ones).

Although the gist of what you say is generally correct - it is NOT a matter of "smarts" - the CFAT is an Aptitude test (thus the name - CFAT), NOT an IQ test - if it were, it would be entitled CFIQT.  A person's aptitude has little to do with their "intelligence" as measured by IQ tests.  I know many "smart", "intelligent", well-read, mathematically proficient individuals who can't visualize three dimensional relationships if their lives depended upon it - they wouldn't do well at career fields such as engineering, carpentry, vehicle technician, and so on.

It's an APTITUDE test - NOT an intelligence test.  ALL trades in the CF require an individual to have an aptitude for them.  All soldiers, airmen, and sailors require a significant degree of "smarts" to function in an environment requiring (at times) spit second, logical decisions, no matter their trade.

Back