• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Exam

Just curious on how hard the exam is.

• Very

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Easy

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
Nick_S said:
Ya I assumed as much. I'm not to worried about it I took the practice test they have online and did well and I'm using the app CFAT Trainer and again scoring well. I don't have a date to take it but i will keep practicing and hopefully do well.

I took the exam pretty recently and my advice is:
1- Definitely take the scores of other online aptitude/IQ tests and the CFAT trainer to be more accurate than their practice exams. I definitely went in with a skewed perspective on what it would be like! I took sciences in university and then did their practice test thinking "this is so easy!" ...That led me to feel pretty confident, but I still found myself dumbfounded in the math section at points.
2- Control the variables - It is hard to practice every concept tested when you don't know what all the concepts are. You do know, however, that there will be the rule of 3, long division, decimal work, shape nets, and vocabulary. Try memorizing common etymological roots of words, looking at different shape nets to better identify 3D shapes quicker, and reviewing key math concepts that you know you'll see. (Which is basically anything in Math 10/20)

I passed (fortunately) but I really should have done more of the above to prepare. It may be common sense, but I hope this helps anyone going into the exam in some way! :)

I think the test itself is not hard. The hardest part was the spatial section (to me, but I think I still managed to do fine). The problem solving part is easy, but I struggled a little bit with the timer. Don't spend more than one minute on a problem, just skip it and go back if you have the time. I managed to answer all of them but that was a close call. Most of the others that wrote the test did not have to finish the problem solving part. Try to solve a problem in less than 1 minute. Also, definitely practice on the CFAT Trainer app.

I just started studying for the CFAT today, I tried the test it didn't seem that hard but I was in systems engineering at the University of Arziona for a year and a half so math is fine for me, just the time I am worried about, because some you have to manually add and multiply subtract, especially with the ones that are like 1 officer for every 16 commanders or something that equalls to 1000 something you have to manually add them out if you can't think of an equation on the spot.

How was the time for the problem solving? I wanted to try the app for that I heard people talking about but I have a blackberry so I will have to custom load it unless you can get it on PC? I found a good website I started to study from http://www.test-preparation.ca/cfat/cfat-practice/ it has a bunch of practice questions that are all free on the english, spacial ability, and problem solving. A good technique I was going to try was to try to answer all the easy questions on the problem solving first, and the ones that take more time to comeback. But have to practice. How was the timing for everyone on the math part?

Regards

The timing for the math portion for me was great.. But I feel I'm strong at math. It's very subjective, everyone has their strengths, it doesn't really make sense to ask such a question, and whatever someone's reply was, it wouldn't be helpful for the test.

What I can say is that if you want to do well, practice, practice, practice. It's not only about knowing your material, but becoming faster and faster at figuring it out. Keep doing different examples until you know and understand problem solving well, you don't want to be sitting there manually adding anything.. Personally what I found was a lot of the answers you don't need to figure out EXACTLY what the answer is, you can take 1 look at the question and estimate it's between 550 and 600, and there'll be only 1 option in that range, if not, calculate a little further, but don't waste your time figuring out calculating if you don't need it.

As for adding manually, there's always a formula, it'd be very helpful to practice recognizing and using them, as well as practice long multiplication and division.

:nod:

But the absolute best tip I can give is, don't stress! Go in there rested, have breakfast, and confident that you'll try your very best.
You'll do great I'm sure

I did mine in November. I was very nervous about it, as I've always been terrible at math. However I studied hard for about a month prior to the test and ended up acing it. (Apparently  ;) ) Like Karona said, the CFAT isn't "easy or hard" - it varies for everyone. I can't comment on the spatial ability as that's never been a problem for me and I found it quite easy, but I have some tips for the other sections.

- Like others have said, you don't have to solve the whole problem, just do ENOUGH to be able to narrow down the right answer. It's not high school, the HOW doesn't matter so long as it's done. If the answers are very different, then this becomes even easier to do.

- Time-wise, I found it faster than any other test I'd taken (HS and first year of uni). If you're calm enough and don't get panicked (see below), this won't be a problem. Try and evaluate the problem by seeing if it can be done in your head or by educated guesswork before writing your own formula. If you don't know an answer, leave it and come back to it. But, as others have said, make sure not to leave ANY answer blank.

- According to the CFAT guide I was emailed, when in doubt, your gut instinct is right 60% of the time, so consider going with that if you're stuck. However, there are ways of narrowing it down without doing any math (don't rely on this though). With answer options where 2 are very similar, one of those 2 will most likely be correct. When there are two answers that are completely the opposite, again, one of those 2 will likely be correct as well. (There are 4 options if I remember correctly). There are other examples of similar strategies in the CFAT study guide provided with your application package. Again, do NOT rely on this tactic as a first resort.

- There are all kinds of books and sites and services that'll do a great job of helping you prepare for the math portion - I used Khan Academy and found it very helpful. (Yes it's free and no I'm not being paid to say this). For 4 weeks before the CFAT, I went through everything from the simplest addition to the longest division lessons. Repetition helps immensely: you want to get to the point where an area formula or long division problem comes automatically. 
https://www.khanacademy.org/ 

- For the verbal skills, I think that no matter how large your vocabulary is you may have trouble with one or two. But try and look at the different parts of the word and break it down to its roots.

- This has been said before over and over I know, but the most important thing is to relax. (Easier said than done of course). I always stress and overthink everything, but I knew that anxiety can quickly ruin any test so I treated the issue like any other problem - I researched it. Try deep breathing exercises, and compartmentalizing - focusing on one challenge at a time - and look at things with a positive attitude. Again, being sleep-deprived and anxious and fidgety will sink you faster than anything. I'd been stressing about the CFAT for around 5 years since I decided I wanted to join the CAF but a few weeks of proper studying and relaxation techniques helped immensely.

- Visualization. It sounds new-agey, but all kinds of sports psychologists and the like recommend it. Try and walk yourself through every action on the day of the CFAT, from getting out of bed to sitting down at the computer to answering your last question. If you've already "done" it in your head, it'll be easier to write the test without worrying about the small details of your day.

- Also, don't be the jackass who forgets to turn in your phone. An angry CFRC staff member won't help you stay calm ;)

Aside from that, all I can say is good luck! Stay calm, study hard, and get it done.

The reason why I struggle a bit with time on the problem solving part is because I completed every problem until I got the exact answer. Like the previous poster said, you might go with the closer answer as soon as you have an idea of the result. Then if you have time, go back and solve the rest to make sure you got that right. I still managed to complete every problem that way but I would've saved precious minutes by choosing the answer within a given range rather than the exact one.

Hey, I was wonderin for example, if you get stuck on a question and think its taking to much time, are you able to skip a question and come back to it later especially on the math portion?

Thanks

I have my test tmro morning, I am nervous, but also really excited to get through it, I studied for the math part the most, the verbal part a bit ago and spacial just a tad. I hope to do well tmro, godbless you guys and hope to see some of you at basic training this summer hopefully if God is with me. Godbless thank y'all for that help it means alot brothas. :cdn:

I qualified for all jobs including officer, thanks y'all godbless it's not hard if you study

I have my CFAT on Tuesday, Still kinda nervous, but also really excited! Any extra studying advice?

Ya bro buy the go to Amazon.ca, 1) search CFAT 2) purchase "pass the CFAT guide", and "practice the CFAT guide" there for Amazon Kindle they are like 2.99 or 5$ each can't remember study those maybe even rebook it for a week or two later to go over those 100%, memorize everything, then study the CFAT Trainer guide in the Google Play store especially the problem solving part, do all the questions and make sure you can do them in 30 min not 45. Do this and I promise you will pass. Godbless

For sure, Just stay calm, and read all the problems throughly.
Don't overthink the problems.

and go to the bathroom before the test (i cannot stress that enough) :)

Back