• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT with university degree

Hellfishqa

Reaction score
Hey, I've noticed on the official website that CFAT results won't longer impact on the certain positions for your military career. Is that true. because I have European higher education with Bachelor's degree (confirmed in Canada). I am 25 yo but I have no clue in math and serving in the military was my dream from childhood.

"A trial is being conducted where some Regular Force applicants to certain occupations will not be required to write the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) and Trait Self Descriptor - Personality Inventory (TSD-PI) before enrolment."

Seen on a post in Reddit discussing this very thing:
  1. It doesn't apply to most trades, not even 50% of all trades. There is a list. It only applies to about a third of NCM's, and while it applies to almost all officers, it only applies to their DEO entry plan.
  2. There are fairly specific requirements to bypass the CFAT. For the most part the applicant needs to be qualified for Direct/Semi-Skilled Entry (for their desired trade) in order to bypass.
  3. There are some avenues other than the above, but it's not open season, there's still criteria to be met.

Seen on a post in Reddit discussing this very thing:
  1. It doesn't apply to most trades, not even 50% of all trades. There is a list. It only applies to about a third of NCM's, and while it applies to almost all officers, it only applies to their DEO entry plan.
  2. There are fairly specific requirements to bypass the CFAT. For the most part the applicant needs to be qualified for Direct/Semi-Skilled Entry (for their desired trade) in order to bypass.
  3. There are some avenues other than the above, but it's not open season, there's still criteria to be met.
So, what I understand, I will nevertheless write CFAT but the results won't impact. So, if I choose non trade speciality, I can go with DEO without my CFAT result being considered ?

Maybe? It's a new process, so all the wrinkles haven't been ironed out.

I guess the easiest example I can think of is a surgeon. Fully qualified civvy side, but now wants to serve. What point is there in making them do the CFAT? They are already proven in their trade in civilian hospitals.

The original purpose of the CFAT was to determine someone's ability to pass their QL3 (DP1) training. For at least over a decade it's been a topic of conversation within Recruiting why individuals that are fully qualified civvie side to do a job are being required to do a CFAT.

Examples that come to mind are basically any Health Care Practitioner (Physician, Nurse, Social Worker, Dental Technician, etc), Military Police (with education), Cook (with education), Engineer (with education). These people are fully qualified and doing the job civvie side, but want to join the CAF and have to do an aptitude test based on a Grade 10 education that they may not have seen the material in 10+ years.

For at least a decade Medical Officers, Social Workers and a few others have had "waivers" for the CFAT and were not required to do it, however depending on who is in charge sometimes the waivers are rescinded. It seems like a more realistic approach is being taken to who needs to do the CFAT.

IMO an individual who went to University and has a Doctor of Pharmacy shouldn't need to do the CFAT to become a Pharmacy Officer... we'll see how this rolls out though because as sarahsmom mentioned it's a new process that is currently rolling out.

Maybe? It's a new process, so all the wrinkles haven't been ironed out.

I guess the easiest example I can think of is a surgeon. Fully qualified civvy side, but now wants to serve. What point is there in making them do the CFAT? They are already proven in their trade in civilian hospitals.

If they don't get used to pointless bureaucracy from the outset, then we're only doing them a disservice ;)

Back