• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Borden Airshow 2008 - questions

Fireball said:
So - about CF recruiting.  Only spoke to one person there and they couldn't pinpoint someone to talk to from 16 Wing regarding Res Officer possibilities.  I went throughout the hangers and asked repeated CF members who should I be speaking with.  No one could come up with the right person on site.  Anyway - I'm not upset at all.  I just loved hanging around, asking questions and getting pictures taken.
Not surprising as it would be safe to summise that those you saw in uniform were there working for the Air Show, or were ordered to attend to put uniforms on the ground, the vast majority of whom likely did not even work at 16 Wing. In either case they could not be expected to know whom within 16 Wing was the proper POC, whom was likely involved in the operations of the Air Show making them that much less available to the public. Short of seeing a Recruiting Display and talking to actual recruiters, I would not of expected to be too succesfull in that venture.

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/air_reserve/jobs/jobs_e.asp?cat=152&page=1
Found this link on the Borden Air Show website listing all Air Reserve employment oppurtunities in Ontario.

These are just the Class B opportunities.

Fireball said:
So - about CF recruiting.  Only spoke to one person there and they couldn't pinpoint someone to talk to from 16 Wing regarding Res Officer possibilities.  I went throughout the hangers and asked repeated CF members who should I be speaking with.  No one could come up with the right person on site.  Anyway - I'm not upset at all.  I just loved hanging around, asking questions and getting pictures taken.

The bus from CFRG (Recruiting Group) was just behind the Air Force Museum in the Hanger line - shame you missed them as they could have given you the advice you were looking for. Not sure where you are, but your local Recruiting Office can help if you want info and also put you in touch with a local unit. 16 Wing does have an Air Reserve cell too - I think there is a major there who might be able to help - try calling the Base on 705 424 1200 and asking the Operator to put you through to the 16 Wing Air Reserve Office (not sure exactly what it is called). Hope that helps.

Hi Neon,

I was actually at the bus and spoke with one of the recruiters - when I asked who I can speak with he didn't know but then asked all of his colleagues on duty who did not know either...Like the guy at the CFRC in Mississauga told me, the only way to know is to call 16 Wing directly - which I did but no response to my voicemail.  I didn't want to bug too much so I called a few more times and did not catch anyone live (this was a few weeks ago).

Anyway, I assume the process for Res Officer Pilot is same for Reg Force Pilot with exception that you have to be an accomplished CF or specialized Pilot to join the Reserves AS  A pilot.  I was hoping to get into IT or Personnel management as an Officer and CT over to Reg Pilot - one current CF Pilot told me that would be the best way to do it.

Any thoughts on that?

J

The Air Militia is a small organization, and I am not sure that there will be many vacancies for anything, let alone something that you may consider interesting. 400 Squadron generally has a lengthy waiting list.

Everybody can benefit from time in the Combat Arms, though.

And I'm not being facetious.

One can learn much that will help one throughout one's career that one will not learn in any a** f**ce environment, and also develop a better understanding of those whom one will be supporting.

Loachman said:
The Air Militia is a small organization, and I am not sure that there will be many vacancies for anything, let alone something that you may consider interesting. 400 Squadron generally has a lengthy waiting list.

Everybody can benefit from time in the Combat Arms, though.

And I'm not being facetious.

One can learn much that will help one throughout one's career that one will not learn in any a** f**ce environment, and also develop a better understanding of those whom one will be supporting.

I looked into the Air Reserve Unit here, but unfortunately there wasn't much available. If there was, I would not be in the Infantry today. To my suprise, I actually love it. I have agree with Loachman: why not get back into the Reserves? I realize you have "been there, done that", but I think it would help your cause especially if you CT to the Regs.

Yes - I have been there and done that with respects to Combat Arms (I was Sigs Reserves but often loaned out to Infantry/Arty/Armoured).  I loved it - don't know if I have the taste for it again, although I am considering it as an option.  I'd probably go 709 Comm Sq in Toronto if I needed to jump in relatively quickly.  Options are there...

J

Quick question:

Is the CF-18 aircraft in Borden operational?  Meaning it's not meant to fly but can be taxiid by qualified people under it's own power?  I remember a Sgt doing this with a few of the Tutors stored there during my cadet Airframe course.

J

An aircraft can only be moved under the power of its own engine(s) by a qualified pilot.

Technicians must be properly qualified in order to do engine run-ups ( note that the aircraft does not move) and properly trained to be part of a tow crew.

The F18 in Borden is a cosmetically-restored training aid only.

The Tutors were, until a few years ago, maintained to operational standards. They are still used to train techs how to marshal aircraft - and taxied about by non-pilot techs in the process of doing so. This is the only exception to the pilots-only-allowed-to-move-under-own-power rule in the entire CF of which I am aware.

Fireball said:
Anyway, I assume the process for Res Officer Pilot is same for Reg Force Pilot with exception that you have to be an accomplished CF or specialized Pilot to join the Reserves AS  A pilot.  I was hoping to get into IT or Personnel management as an Officer and CT over to Reg Pilot - one current CF Pilot told me that would be the best way to do it.

Hi J

Not too sure about the Pilot aspect - best to check that out with an SME at the Recruiting Centre, but if you are interested in HR, then that is a Log Officer Specialty - along with Transport, Supply, Movements and Finance. As to joining the Reserves as a Log Officer and then CT to Pilot, why not see if you can go in as a Reg F Pilot directly. If you sit down with the Recruiters and bring your Resume and any Transcripts with you, you might find there is an entry plan that suits. For example ROTP (Regular Officer Training Plan) has an option for 'mature' applicants who may already have part of a degree programme done, there is also CEOTP - Continuing Education Officer Training Plan, which essentially gives you (I think) 8 years to complete your degree while continuing to serve as a Direct Entrant. I am not an expert on the details, but the guys at the CFRC should be able to explain all the available entry plans. If you were a Sig Op in the past you may well get a Recruit School Bypass too. Ask or go to the CFRG website to take a look at the monographs for each trade. Entry plans are covered there too. Good luck!

There are two methods of becoming a reserve pilot: become a regular force pilot, rotary- or seized-wing, and CT, or apply for HELICOP (HELicopter Industry CO-operation Programme). For the latter, you will need a commercial helicopter licence, 500 hours minimum with a fair amount of that turbine time, and possibly an instrument rating. I cannot remember if that's necessary or not as we haven't had enrolled a HELICOP guy in Borden ever - we got the last two near the end of our Downsview days, ie thirteen to fifteen years ago.

Not a raving success, that programme. It was dreamed up by the same guy who shut down the Reserve Pilot Training Plan, which, by contrast, gave us three to four new pilots annually.

Ugh,

Hi Neon...I've been through the CEOTP options with CFRC and MANY members on this board.  I have some challenges I need to over come first (laser surg, start on degree, get in better shape are the main ones).  The backup plan is join the reserves as an officer and build more time-in and to CT over to Pilot MOC.

As for retirement age - I figure if I can get in at 34-35 years old (33 now) then I'll still have a good 25 years in the Airforce now the retirement age is 60.  By that time all the new planes coming online in the next few years will have to be replaced as well...

What's the Reserve Pilot Training Plan...never heard of it even years back when I first joined in 1992?

J

Back