• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFCWO on facebook?

There's a difference between having a personal account and having a page.  CFB Petawawa and LFWA have their own pages.  I'm sure there are others as well.

If this is legit though I hope he has someone looking his posts over before he puts them out there, at least to watch spelling and grammar.  Seems to have missed it on this one.  ;)

Trueblue said:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Canadian-Forces-Chief-Warrant-Officer/130099637055330?v=wall

Assuming this is legit,

I thought the CF had a clear stand on Canadian forces members having facebooks that clearly depict yourself as a service member?

In my short career I have already have several of the, "if you have facebook the terrorists will hack you and kill your family" briefs.
That is a whole lot of clap trap. I've never heard of that....plus it an illegal order, plus it's impossible to enforce.

We've had the "be careful of what you put on your facebook page..." lectures, which also go hand-in-hand with the "you are a serving member, conduct yourselves as such, even when not in uniform..." talks which is common sense (for most).

But many soldiers have profile pictures, whole picture albums and such that displays themselves as a service member. 

As long as it does not breach any security.

Jim Seggie said:
That is a whole lot of clap trap. I've never heard of that....plus it an illegal order, plus it's impossible to enforce.

Yeah I wasn't agreeing with those "briefs" I mentioned, just using it to get my point across about the CF's stance on facebook pages.

Not allowing CF members to access social media is an illegal order because it would be counter to the Charter freedoms of expression and association.

OPSEC aside, the CF (we) discourage too much info because as any good int guy will tell you, every little tidbit will help finish the picture puzzle.

Trueblue said:
Yeah I wasn't agreeing with those "briefs" I mentioned, just using it to get my point across about the CF's stance on facebook pages.

I've attended a few of these 'briefs' in my time ... including two for the current TF Afg pers working up to deploy.

In all of those briefings, I have yet to hear a "you can't have a facebook account". What I have heard was that "thou shalt not speak on your facebook/social media AS a CF member or on behalf of the CF; nor shalt thou post OPSEC information (such as your chalk timings/dates etc) or OPSEC photgraphs onto those social networking sites. Thou shall also post only within your lanes and scope of work while on those sites."  Exactly the same message that we have had for years regarding media dealings. Makes perfect sense to me.

The problem arises when Junior/Senior NCOs mis understand that very reasonable policy and take it to extremes. I've seen a sergeant order all of his troops to remove any picture of them in uniform from facebook, to keep them out of the hands of the taliban. Of course, said sergeant had no way to enforce this rule as he didn't even have facebook... or the internet by the sounds of it.

Unfortunately, many of the sane directives that are passed on get distorted by ignorant/uniformed individuals.

Snaketnk said:
The problem arises when Junior/Senior NCOs mis understand that very reasonable policy and take it to extremes. I've seen a sergeant order all of his troops to remove any picture of them in uniform from facebook, to keep them out of the hands of the taliban. Of course, said sergeant had no way to enforce this rule as he didn't even have facebook... or the internet by the sounds of it.

You're right, only an NCM could act that way  ::)

Anyways, I wasn't implying the CF had a no facebook stance, what I have been told on several briefs;

"Never use any social networking site that can identify you as a member of the CF"

Now if this is an actual threat, not saying it is, this facebook page now pretty much flags every person who "likes" it, or posts on it a member of the CF.

disclaimer once again: I don't agree/attempt to enforce the CF stance on facebook, just thought it was odd that they would be creating pages like this.

Trueblue said:
I thought the CF had a clear stand on Canadian forces members having facebooks that clearly depict yourself as a service member?

Apparently, it does.  Take this as "The standard you must achieve is the standard I have demonstrated."

Trueblue said:

Anyways, I wasn't implying the CF had a no facebook stance, what I have been told on several briefs;

"Never use any social networking site that can identify you as a member of the CF"

Now if this is an actual threat, not saying it is, this facebook page now pretty much flags every person who "likes" it, or posts on it a member of the CF.

disclaimer once again: I don't agree/attempt to enforce the CF stance on facebook, just thought it was odd that they would be creating pages like this.

Not exactly.

Trueblue said:

Again, I'll say: I've never heard any such thing in briefings I attended. So will you PLEASE cease and DESIST with the erroneous "the CF's stance on facebook" ramblings. Always though a "do not post as if you speak on behalf of the CF."

Oh, and I just "liked" the CFCWO's page. I have pics of me in uniform in an album. I post there as "me", not as a member of, or on behalf of, the CF.  ;)

I guess this finally dispells the myth that the RSM cannot have 'friends'.

I think this is a pretty keen idea, and I applaud the CFCWO (or at least the smart cookie in his staff for proposing it).

It at least sets an example for what is acceptable on Facebook (though I'd hate to be in the room when Private Bloggins tries to helpfully explain to NCO so-and-so why his Facebook Account is verboten when the CFCWO's isn't).

It also gives him an additional platform to get his point across...which today seems to translate to, "My wife makes me do stuff on my day off!"

Folks,

Its probably just a recruiting/awareness measure in order to reach out to the digitally enhanced population.

Even CANSOFCOM and JTF2 have their own Facebook page.

This just isn't some guy's page posting "hey look at me". 

Once again my point is being missed entirely.

My message was this;

• We have been told that having ourselves easily identifiable as service members on facebook is dangerous for ourselves and our families.
  • This page easily identifies hundreds of facebookers as members of the CF, thus making them easy "targets".

But according to the Liberals and the NDP there are no taliban, so whats the issue.  Alas, wouldn't it be nice to have a few show up at the door so you could shoot them from the comfort of your own home, while making breakfast or something.

Look, there are plenty of dick-heads out there that think they make the rules for everything, regardless of rank.  Officers and NCOs, I am sure, have told their soldiers not to use facebook or twitter or something else.  Why?  because they are idiots.

I think it;s great that CF members get out there on social media and the such.  One of the main reasons I have heard for lack of support for the mission in Afghanistan is simply that people dont know what we are doing there, that theres not enough information about what the troops are accomplishing.  Thats our fault.  Social media is a good way to start fixing that.

Trueblue said:
Once again my point is being missed entirely.

My message was this;

• We have been told that having ourselves easily identifiable as service members on facebook is dangerous for ourselves and our families.
  • This page easily identifies hundreds of facebookers as members of the CF, thus making them easy "targets".

Where do you get these briefings?  The only thing I have ever been told is don't but OPSEC info and photos up.  Never been told don't have facebook as Kiwi99 has stated it Facebook is a great medium to get information out to people in new ways.  Gone are the days of only getting news and info from the newspaper and TV's and the CF has realized that that is way we have this page and many units have pages.

Kiwi99 said:
But according to the Liberals and the NDP there are no taliban, so whats the issue.  Alas, wouldn't it be nice to have a few show up at the door so you could shoot them from the comfort of your own home, while making breakfast or something.

Look, there are plenty of dick-heads out there that think they make the rules for everything, regardless of rank.  Officers and NCOs, I am sure, have told their soldiers not to use facebook or twitter or something else.  Why?  because they are idiots.

I think it;s great that CF members get out there on social media and the such.  One of the main reasons I have heard for lack of support for the mission in Afghanistan is simply that people dont know what we are doing there, that theres not enough information about what the troops are accomplishing.  Thats our fault.  Social media is a good way to start fixing that.

I agree completely.

On the note of "people making their own rules.", I have received the exact same brief, by two separate Base/wing security officers stating the same things I.E. "If you make yourself known as a CF member on facebook, the Taliban can find your family."

I have friends on bases Canada-wide who have received similar briefs I assumed everyone got these CF-wide.

dangerboy said:
Where do you get these briefings?  The only thing I have ever been told is don't but OPSEC info and photos up.  Never been told don't have facebook as Kiwi99 has stated it Facebook is a great medium to get information out to people in new ways.  Gone are the days of only getting news and info from the newspaper and TV's and the CF has realized that that is way we have this page and many units have pages.

Nowhere has anyone implied anything about being told we were not allowed to have facebook, I have been told several times "you shouldn't make yourself known on facebook as a member of Canadian Forces."

Whether this is an actual policy, or just IT security officers speaking out their ass, I obviously can't say.

Also, this has been taught at CFLRS St-jean (at least back in 08)

Back