• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFLRS Internet Site, BMQ-IAP-BOTP Info, Joining Instructions & Related Info.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
There always seems to be questions about Basic Training/BMQ/IAP/BOTP and CFLRS in general.  There is alot of info available on the CFLRS Internet site.  Try reading thru the info available on their site, it is there for a reason.  Potential candidates (BMQ, IAP and BOTP inclusive) should look thru the Are You Ready section of the site.  Everyone heading to CFLRS should read, understand and follow the Joining Instructions

From here:

14 things you need to know before coming to the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School

1. Your course is about 62% of classroom training with study and theoretical exams.

2. Your course is about 25% of field training with practical exams.

3. 13% of your course will be devoted to physical training.

4. Training days start at 5:10 am and end at 11:00 pm.

5. Types of physical training: running, weight training (machines), obstacle course, forced marches, circuit training, in-pool training. It is very important to have proper running shoes.

6. Protein supplements to augment performance are not allowed.

7. If you are single, you must pay rations and quarters throughout your stay at the School at a cost of $425.00 per month.

8. Your civil status must be up-to-date and you must have the proper documentation to prove it.

9. Ensure your financial arrangements are completed prior to your arrival at the School.

10. If you request a voluntary release, a 2 to 4 week waiting period (if there are no major problems encountered with your administrative file) will be required before you may return home.

11. During the first four weeks, you will not be able to leave the military base. After this initial period, weekend leave will be granted depending upon your training performance. Visitors are not permitted during the week.

12. The School is housed in a 12-story building, and unless you are on medical restrictions, elevators are out of bounds to students.

13. Teamwork is essential and the key to your success.

14. Your success is directly proportional to the level of physical and mental preparation that you will have undertaken prior to your arrival.

23/01/2008

Excellent post. New guys! Keep this all in mind.

Can someone highlight the supplement part?  I don't even know how many questions we've had regarding that in the last 2 months....

eta:  I used the search function to find this!  Imagine that.

Thank you for this, Great post!
I have to take care of number 8. I lost my Birth Certificate a while back, they let me get away with it during the application process only because I brought my baptism certificate, so I'll have to get that taken care of before I leave.

Good original post, but if I may add a disclaimer:

While most of the info is still good (the 14 things list being one of them) the website is lagging behind some changes to CFLRS. Most of these are minor and you will be informed of them when you get there, but take anything the Recruiting Centre or your course staff says as the gospel and don't say "But the website said.....!"
    Don't mean to nitpick, just be aware that not everything you see on the internet is true. Except that last sentence. And that one. And that one...

And as it's after midnight:  :st.patty:

Yes, the site has changed some...and for the better, IMO.

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/index-eng.asp

FYI they have just changed the requirement for voluntary release to 5 weeks. Meaning that you must complete the first five weeks before a request may be put forward. 

So if you are thinking that if you don't like it in the first week, you will now have to stay for 5 weeks to make sure that it is not for you.

I think that it is a great idea

bradlupa said:
FYI they have just changed the requirement for voluntary release to 5 weeks. Meaning that you must complete the first five weeks before a request may be put forward. 

So if you are thinking that if you don't like it in the first week, you will now have to stay for 5 weeks to make sure that it is not for you.

I thought it was a better idea when you had to complete the entire BMQ before you could be released.  ::)

bradlupa said:

I am curious, are applicants signing a form stating "I am aware I must XYZ" or anything to that effect, where they acklowledge they are aware of it when they are sworn in?

If not, maybe that is something they should be doing.

Eye In The Sky said:
I am curious, are applicants signing a form stating "I am aware I must XYZ" or anything to that effect, where they acklowledge they are aware of it when they are sworn in?

If not, maybe that is something they should be doing.

Yes there is.

When I re-enrolled last week there were several different items from last year.

The most notable (Beyond the certificate saying that I enrolled in FORCES.CA not the Canadian Forces) being that I had to meet individually with an Officer, and have them explain what would be expected of me in the coming weeks, the new PT standards, and the above VR change. There is a signoff saying that you understand and acklowledge .

The File Manager said the meeting / paperwork was new as of that week.

When I received my offer, and even before both my interviewer and file manager were very specific to tell me the following:

In order to stay at St. Jean I must do a minimum of 4 push ups and 3.5 on the expres test to even qualify for RFT. These are Male Under 34 Minimums.

Female's are required to do 2 push ups and a 1.5 (I think ?) on the expres test to qualify for RFT. But minimum standards have been confirmed.

You cannot VR before the end of week 4 also. Confirmed.

These changes come into effect on April 1st, 2009... I'm on the first BMQ after these changes, April 6th, 2009.

Yeah... The 20 MSR doesn't even start calculating VO2 Max Until Level 4 starts... lets put it that way.

Level 6 I might have a touch of concern about... but 3.5 is not difficult.

SoldierInTheMaking said:
Level 6 isn't even that bad, if you are in decent shape, you shouldn't be worried at all.

When did you last do the shuttle run ?

Well it's kind of funny... I run 30 minutes 5 days a week at a pace of 5 mph / 5.5 mph (so around 8.5 km/h) and I also am using the link found in another topic to run the beep test here at work... the front of the shop is 18.5 meters and I'm alone most of the day so I'll run it 1-2 times and I get to 6 or 6.5 in steel toe boots / work coveralls so I'm hoping I'm working hard enough... I guess its just residual discomfort because I was out of shape for so long...

now i think i know the answer to this but i'll ask anyway are you allowed to bring anything like an ipod or computer or any electronics for that matter

Why don't you read the Joining Instructions that are publilshed to answer questions like this?

Seriously, if you even searched this forum, you'd find the answer.  But its all been answered in the JIs.  Give them a look, from start to finish, and most of your questions should be answered.

Back