• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFR Question - Why?

Rearadmiral

Inactive
Reaction score
Apart from personal reasons, why would someone CFR?  Is there that much of a difference in pension / other benefits?  I met an MWO recently who was going to be CFRed.  There would be no loss in pay obviously, but why give up that rank to become another run-of-the-mill captain?  I also recently met an ex-Dragoon CWO who CFRed.  Maybe I'm old school, but I think that MWO/CWO types don't merely sit at the right hand of God, but may, in fact, be God.  Especially combat arms types, which is really the core of our business.  So apart from being the highest paid two-ringer in the CF, are there other (non-personal) reasons that someone may want to CFR?

To further advance their career?
A different challenge?
They feel they could be an asset to their unit as an officer?

The reasons for a member to CFR are numerous and varied. It goes without saying they vary from person to person.

''For their wines and pickles and that....''

Or maybe just so they can ream young silly subbies for their behaviour in the mess, as opposed to just for their behaviour on the parade square/ in the field.

Rearadmiral said:
Apart from personal reasons, why would someone CFR?  Is there that much of a difference in pension / other benefits?  I met an MWO recently who was going to be CFRed.  There would be no loss in pay obviously, but why give up that rank to become another run-of-the-mill captain?  I also recently met an ex-Dragoon CWO who CFRed.  Maybe I'm old school, but I think that MWO/CWO types don't merely sit at the right hand of God, but may, in fact, be God.  Especially combat arms types, which is really the core of our business.  So apart from being the highest paid two-ringer in the CF, are there other (non-personal) reasons that someone may want to CFR?

Well, I see by your profile that you're AJAG ... New Brunswick. If I may be so brash to assume that you're currently in Gagetown, I'd note that a certain CWO from the AJAG's office just moved over into the Base RSM position ... to replace the Base RSM that took his Commission.

The conversation I had (during the mug-out/I could be off on some points) led to reasons somewhat akin to:

"I've been a Base RSM and I'm not bilingual. Come 2010, CWOs must be bilingual to hold positions and an MWO must be bilingual to be promoted to CWO." Ergo -- he had nothing to look forward to anymore -- in a "could never hold an appointment" again due to his lack of bilingual profile. And, your pension plans are soooooooooo much better than ours; I'm sure that helps a little bit too.

But my oh my - it certainly is just like going from the top of the food chain back down to the bottom again in a funky kind of way.

ArmyVern said:
And, your pension plans are soooooooooo much better than ours; I'm sure that helps a little bit too.

Is this is sarcasm, Army Vern?  I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the pensions are no different between Officers and NCM's and it is just a long perpetuated myth that officers get better pensions.  That being said the higher average salaries will result in higher annuities in the case of officers.  35 years will get you 70% of your best five years whether you are a Cpl or a Col. 

Ofcourse I probably missed some sarcasm and look like a tool now :-[

EDIT: I re-read and realized you were quoting said CWO......so what I mean to ask is ; was he being sarcastic wrt to pensions

Rearadmiral said:

Rather odd question.  Like Vern I had a look at your profile.  You were in the ranks as a Met Tech.  Why did you go officer?  Why shouldn't anyone else?

Regarding pensions... let's face it, Captains make 50% more than Corporals... so while 70% is 70%, 70% of 1.5 is more than 70% of 1.  Both are career ranks that don't require merit ranking.  My 2 cents...

Rearadmiral said:
Why give up that rank to become another run-of-the-mill captain?

As a former WO myself, I like to think someone who's had "Sergeant Major" in his/her title may be wanting to apply the institutional memory s/he's worked very hard accumulating to be something more than just "another run-of-the-mill captain".

In some cases, especially in the Reserves, there's no more positions left to hold, but one still wants to contribute to the well being of the troops and the unit.

Maybe they like the lobotomy scar? (kidding, kidding)

Otto Fest said:
Regarding pensions... let's face it, Captains make 50% more than Corporals... so while 70% is 70%, 70% of 1.5 is more than 70% of 1.  Both are career ranks that don't require merit ranking.  My 2 cents...

Very true.  But it is not so dramatic when comparing MWO/CWO to Captain.

While not completely being put-off by the flagrant use of Captains being "run of the mill" - CWO's CFR primarily because of the pay and their impending retirement/pension.  Mid-range Captains pull in more per annum than the highest paid CWOs.  In-fact, the highest paid CWO in the CF is a SAR-Tech - and he's contemplated CFRing.  He made similar comments about the retrograde move in career by taking a commission - being a Captain is not equivalent to being a peon.  We pretty much have free reign in what we do, how we do it and when we do it (Navy and Army notwithstanding).

Zoomie said:
  Mid-range Captains pull in more per annum than the highest paid CWOs. 

Actually ....... the highest paid CWO ($7897/mo) now makes more than a Capt IPC 10 GSO ($7553/mo), but most CWO's would be somewhere around the same pay as Capt IPC6-8  http://www.dnd.ca/dgcb/dppd/pdf/Apr_08_CF_payrates_e.pdf

Agreed Capt are not peons.  A senior CWO would probably have to make Maj to really make it worthwhile financially.  Most probably do it for other than financial reasons I would hope.

the CWO's I knew that CFR'd did it because there was no where else for them to go - they had peaked as NCM's, had held the type of posns they could hold and were looking for something new to do.

Zoomie, I don't think anyone used "run of the mill" to insult Captains, but lets face it,  one can certainly skip the limelight if one wished too, methinks MWO/CWO,....ahh, not so much.

EDIT: Another possible reason might be that he/she might just be tired of expected to be "the hammer" all the time also.

Back