• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFSA , PSSA and a medical release

meni0n

Reaction score
So I've gotten some good advice from someone on this forum with regards to my situation but I would like to post this just to see if someone here knows about a policy as I am unable to locate anything. So here goes. Please bear with me, this might be a bit complicated.

Have about 14 years in the Reg Force, injured on duty in 2016. Got a public service job offer in 2017 and took it. So I transferred from the Regular Force to the Reserve Force in 2017 with no break in service. Since there was no break in service, I continued to be part of the Part I of the CFSA and contribute to the Reg Force pension when I got paid in the Reserves. All the while, I was still having some significant symptoms from the injury I sustained in the Reg Force and a medical A/R was initiated. All of a sudden in the beginning of 2019, I had all of my pension contributions returned to me. I called the Pension Centre and was told that it was due to being in the PSSA and CFSA at the same time but was assured I would be able to access my pension in case of a medical release.

Now come Oct 2019, I finally receive a 3B release message, call the Pension Centre and was told that I am showing as a non-member of the CFSA and that they won't send me a pension package. I have to go through all the details of my account with the person on the phone and they concede that yes, there is no break in service and they're not sure why I am not a member. They now escalate my case. I call back again, now a different person tells me that I should be able to get my pension package and that it's just a system glitch due to being part of the PSSA. Waited a week, called back and told once again, no I cannot get a pension package. And on and on this goes. Finally I'm told file is being sent to advisory section at DND to seek guidance.

All the while, no one at the Pension Centre can provide me any reference to policy that states I cannot be a member of both plans at the same time. I've read both acts and there is nothing that states that. I'm being told CANFORGEN 180/09 also states this. A PSSA special bulletin from 2009 also states this. I've even called the Public Service Pension Centre and was told they don't see why it would be an issue being part of both plans, with the exception of reaching 35 years faster.

Now, through all of this, in case things go South on me I tried to contact someone at DMCA to see if it would be possible to change my Reg Force release item since the injury happened while I was in the Reg Fore and changing the release item would let me access immediate annuity. So far calling the National JPSU, NCR Transition Centre or DMCA 3 has been fruitless. No one has picked up the phone for the past 2 days.

Does anyone know of any policy that is available somewhere which states that you cannot be a member of both plans at the same time? And, also if anyone knows someone at DMCA that could help me, please let me know.

Here is a link to the special bulletin, in case someone wants to read it.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/bapr-samb/archiver-archive/bapr-samb-2009-003-eng.html

Strange.  I’m being told I have to be in both plans and the only way out is to release and re enroll.

Remius said:
Strange.  I’m being told I have to be in both plans and the only way out is to release and re enroll.
Is it the Pension Centre that's telling you that?

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

meni0n said:
Is it the Pension Centre that's telling you that?

Both sides.  And TB when my file went to them. 

Remius said:
Both sides.  And TB when my file went to them.
That's so weird because every time i call they tell me I can't which is why I'm showing up as non-contributor. I've been given so many different answers that I'm about to start tappng my calls to them.

meni0n said:
That's so weird because every time i call they tell me I can't which is why I'm showing up as non-contributor. I've been given so many different answers that I'm about to start tappng my calls to them.

Same.  I’ve been requesting things in writing.  The worst is the CFSA pers.  They are terrible.  PSSA and TB have given me straight answers.

We might be in different situations.  I’m a reservist in part 1 of the CFSA and in the PSSA.  I need to stop the double time I am accruing. 

Remius said:
Same.  I’ve been requesting things in writing.  The worst is the CFSA pers.  They are terrible.  PSSA and TB have given me straight answers.

We might be in different situations.  I’m a reservist in part 1 of the CFSA and in the PSSA.  I need to stop the double time I am accruing.
We're in the same situation but they just removed me from the CFSA Part I as a member and now i can't get my medical immediate annuity because of that

Back