• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFSATE

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got my offer from CFRC last week and I will be posted to CFSATE (AVS) this May. I bypass recruit training and was given semi- skilled. I don't have to do POET and jump to QL3 right away. Now I'm a little confused as recruiting told me that I won't be on a crse right away but I will be with the school. Is this the same as being on PAT Platoon? Is this the same as PRETC in Borden?

Can somebody give me any insights or guesses? Also, what is life in CFSATE like? Since I won't be on a crse right away but will be posted at the school, I'm a little confused as to the type of stuff I will be expecting to do with CFSATE.

And oh yeah ... any other info about CFSATE and the AVS Tech life in Borden is greatly appreciated. I don't want to have a stunned look on my face when I arrive on ground. Lol.

Thank you!

When you arrive at CFSATE, you will be attached to CFSATE PAT Platoon pending the start of your course. Expect to spend a lot of time in the canteen playing cards and watching movies if you don't get away on OJT to another airbase. PAT platoon at CFSATE is generally the same as PRETC with PT on mondays and wednesdays, and inspections on Tuesdays and Fridays. Your first day or two will be spent clearing in to the school and paperwork before you get 2 days for your relocation leave to do any personal administration that you need to get settled in. As AVS don't expect your course to start before the end of this year as the current ones for the next 6 months or so are already full.

I'm currently posted at CFSATE PAT pending my course starting May 2008, 'nuff said.

Welcome to CFSATE, hurry up and wait.

I was part of CFSATE PAT for a long time. My sugestion read lots of books or ask to go on 404's course. Try to get on courses while ur sitting there. But try not to let it get to you sitting there watching the paint peel. Some guys go threw fast and some slow. The AVS tho went threw faster cause u will have to go to POET in kingston.

Best of luck :)

Ahh the joys of PAT at CFSATE :)

Thank god I have 2 and a 1/2 more months on my avn course :)

Bring books! ask for taskings, take what you can get.

Though I could add on here. What are accomadations like? How many to a room? Is the mess in the same building as the accomodations? If one PAT what are my chances of getting GD somewhere, I will friggin spit shine the CO bathroom if it means I don't have to watch paint peel... or I could repaint the canteen to make sure it never peels :p

Thanks
Klink

CFSATE isn't a bad place, but PAT platoon sucks! the staff is awesome but the daily activities suck... get yourself a permanent tasking while you are on PAT, and get to the gym, otherwise you will lose what you worked off in basic... Im waiting til January to start Common core, and June for AVN training...

I had a question that maybe you could run by the staff on PAT. I am currently in CFB Esquimalt waiting for my transfer and I am doing port security here. There are alot of Comm Research people here from there pat platoon. Since I am already trained on the port security equipment (ie ASP Baton, OC Spray, Handcuffs) do you think that they would send me back here awaiting my common core?

Also should be getting my 404s for civvy patern vehicules begining of december. You think that could help me get some nice tasking?

Ummmmmm.  I know it was a long week but, if you are going Comm Research, what does that have to do with PAT platoon at CFSATE?  291r's are part of the C & E branch, they go to PRETC not PAT and will train at CFSCE in Kingston, so why would they be part of 16 Wing CFSATE??

Now, do you *really* want someone to go up to one of the PAT NCOs and say "Sgt/MCpl, there is this guy on Army.ca, and he wants to know....".

My guess is you will find out if and when you transfer, get posted to CFSATE and submit your memo yourself.  Do you have some Quality of Life component to your request (ie wife and children in Vic)?  If you do, it may be more likely, as your morale will benefit AND the CF will not have to give you TD, free R & Q and Seperation Allowance/Expense while you are waiting your trng.

The only other proactive option I would suggest is asking your file manager at CFRC about it...but I am betting they will say "you will have to deak with that when you get there, we have no part of that".

Yes I know that the 291s are part of PRETC. What I was saying what that PRETC was sending people here because they are undermanned.

I am going as AVN so I will be attached to CFSATE in Borden correct?

I guess I will just have to wait till I get there to know. BTW I have to Quality of Life component here in terms of wife/children but I do like the tasking. Rather do this for a few months then rake leaves or sit in the canteen. I know that's not always what they do but honestly if you had the choice between working or sitting on PAT which do you take?

Klinkaroo said:
Yes I know that the 291s are part of PRETC. What I was saying what that PRETC was sending people here because they are undermanned.

I am going as AVN so I will be attached to CFSATE in Borden correct?

I guess I will just have to wait till I get there to know. BTW I have to Quality of Life component here in terms of wife/children but I do like the tasking. Rather do this for a few months then rake leaves or sit in the canteen. I know that's not always what they do but honestly if you had the choice between working or sitting on PAT which do you take?

Yes as AVN you will belong to CFSATE, not PRETC, so the fact that there are 291r's in Vic is not linked to CFSATE PAT platoon at all.

By a QOL component, I mean if your wife and kids are in Vic, you may have more grounds to do EWAT away from Borden if you are going to on an extended wait for Common Core and then the AVN course.  I'd rather be close to my loved ones, regardless if that was Vic or PAT platoon.  :)

Well then again I am sure there are other taskings available in other places, maybe even closer to home. Guess I will just sit here and wait for that transfer...

Klinkaroo said:
I know that's not always what they do but honestly if you had the choice between working or sitting on PAT which do you take?

Sitting on PAT for three months was NOT fun. I had random taskings but it still wasn't the greatest, ask for daily PT, which what I did. I think I spent more time in the gym most weeks than in the canteen. Depends on what you want ofcourse.

I need a tasking!! lol I hate sitting here on PAT, I need some work... Im trying a MOC Reassignment, but I doubt Ill be allowed out of AVN...  :(

Back