• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-124 Sea King over Ottawa Friday June 15

Walt

Jr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
9
Points
80
Hello All,

I witnessed a rare sight yesterday. What I think was a Sea King flew over me while at work, heading south west (perhaps to Petawawa?). Colours were light grey with red/orange on the nose, and a stripe on the tail boom. Can anyone offer insight? Thanks!
 

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
472
Points
880
Sure. It was CH124 417 enroute from Shearwater (via the Great Lakes Airshow, this weekend) to Pat Bay BC. It will spend the rest of its service life with 443 Sqn.

It has been repainted to original RCN colours, in order to commemorate the final year of service of the Sea King in Canada. The fleet retires 31 Dec of this year.
 

Walt

Jr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
9
Points
80
Thank you SKT! I think the last time I saw an SK "out of water" was at the Hamilton Air Show when I was an Air Cadet back in the late 70s early 80s.
 

Baz

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
SeaKingTacco said:
Sure. It was CH124 417 enroute from Shearwater (via the Great Lakes Airshow, this weekend) to Pat Bay BC. It will spend the rest of its service life with 443 Sqn.

It has been repainted to original RCN colours, in order to commemorate the final year of service of the Sea King in Canada. The fleet retires 31 Dec of this year.

Here is a picture of it departing Shearwater, courtesy of the Sea King Retirement Facebook page.  People there have veen keeping track of it as it makes it's way West (including SeaKingTacco based on the comments).
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1529170768334.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529170768334.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 455

Baz

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
FSTO said:
Beautiful sight to see.

It is... however it may be that the only two aircraft being put in museums will be in the old RCN colors. In a way that's too bad because a lot of us weren't in the RCN.
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
104
Points
730
Baz said:
It is... however it may be that the only two aircraft being put in museums will be in the old RCN colors. In a way that's too bad because a lot of us weren't in the RCN.

But their raison d'etre was the naval environment and if not for the childish thoughts of a deranged former corporal the Sea Kings would have remained in RCN colours.
 

Baz

Sr. Member
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
FSTO said:
But their raison d'etre was the naval environment and if not for the childish thoughts of a deranged former corporal the Sea Kings would have remained in RCN colours.

I agree with that... I think we would have been better off if we were Fleet Air Arm.  Don't kid yourself, we would still have been disticntively air, but would have kept our Naval roots.  It wouldn't have been a valhala though... I'm sure the Navy would have ignored us in favour of the fleet just as much as the Air Force did.

But that's not what happened.  There are more people in the community who were associated with the current paint scheme then the RCN one.  As well, the Wing is busy  and doesn't necessarily have the time to set aside current artifacts.  So it *may* be the case that the last years of the Sea King get overshadowed by the RCN years and the first Persian Gulf War.

Only time will tell...

Editted to add: I'm not suggesting that the two that have been painted in RCN colors shouldn't be.  In 2010ish there was a plan that the Shearwater Museum would get two: 401 as close to possible to the original config, and one of the last tails as close as possible to the final config.  That makes sense to me but it seems has been overcome by events...
 

TangoTwoBravo

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
91
Points
530
It flew over CFB Kingston and RMC yesterday morning (Friday). I thought I was seeing things at first!
 

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
472
Points
880
Baz said:
I agree with that... I think we would have been better off if we were Fleet Air Arm.  Don't kid yourself, we would still have been disticntively air, but would have kept our Naval roots.  It wouldn't have been a valhala though... I'm sure the Navy would have ignored us in favour of the fleet just as much as the Air Force did.

But that's not what happened.  There are more people in the community who were associated with the current paint scheme then the RCN one.  As well, the Wing is busy  and doesn't necessarily have the time to set aside current artifacts.  So it *may* be the case that the last years of the Sea King get overshadowed by the RCN years and the first Persian Gulf War.

Only time will tell...

Editted to add: I'm not suggesting that the two that have been painted in RCN colors shouldn't be.  In 2010ish there was a plan that the Shearwater Museum would get two: 401 as close to possible to the original config, and one of the last tails as close as possible to the final config.  That makes sense to me but it seems has been overcome by events...

Baz,

For what it is worth- I know people on the Sea King Retirement Committee and I know that they are committed to equally celebrating all 55 years of Sea Kings in Canada. I hope that you (and many, many others) can see your way clear to attend the retirement ceremonies in Victoria 30 Nov-01 Dec 18.

Get your tickets at www.skr18.ca
 

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
437
Points
980
From YOW and I can confirm the STINGER 17 looked great!  Even better than STINGER 06 that you showed me around, SKT, last time you passed through YOW.  Great job to all those in the Fleet Air Arm (by name, or in spirit) who have kept these amazing machines flying over the years. :salute:

Cheers
G2G
 

Rifleman62

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
15
Points
430
Flying over West Kelowna, BC at 1725 local?
 

Attachments

  • WK3.jpg
    WK3.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 237
  • WK2.jpg
    WK2.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 232
  • WK1.jpg
    WK1.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 227

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
419
Points
880
Irony would be engine failure causing a crash that takes out the whole Liberal defense committee members
 
Top