• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Challanging incentive level for mbr rejoining

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Member has 5 years reserve time and 3 years reg force (which includes 2 tours overseas and a year posting in Europe).

Member releases in 2005 and reapplies to join in 2016.

They're written off for their basic training and a few other courses (ie drivers) but they're given pte-basic as an incentive level because they've been released over 5 years. 

In the DOAD's it says the member can request to have their incentive level reconsidered but is there anything he can do to support his case/request for higher IPC?

I don't think they will get an joy on this. In my current RSS job I see quite a few applications to re-enrole in the PRes from the Sup Res. They really look hard at courses. So if there is no BMQ-L, then Mbr is required to complete it and given only the rank that is attainable now without it. It's quite a gong show as any PLARs have to go to DAT. And that isn't a quick turn around at all.

Generally to move from Basic you need to be qualified in a trade.  Are any of the course granted trade quals?  Most likely not due to time out so it would be a hard sell to get anything higher. Best for him to concentrate on getting trade qual as fast as possible to become Pte(T) and eligible for promotions.

Jarnhamar said:
Member has 5 years reserve time and 3 years reg force (which includes 2 tours overseas and a year posting in Europe).
Member releases in 2005 and reapplies to join in 2016.
They're written off for their basic training and a few other courses (ie drivers) but they're given pte-basic as an incentive level because they've been released over 5 years. 
In the DOAD's it says the member can request to have their incentive level reconsidered but is there anything he can do to support his case/request for higher IPC?

CBI 204.015(4) - http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-204-pay-policy-officers-ncms.page#sec-204-015

"204.015(4) (Exception) Qualifying service for pay increments does not include:

a.  any service prior to a continuous interruption of more than five years during which no service designated in paragraph (2) was performed, unless the member during the period of the interruption has maintained relevant skills or qualifications considered by the Chief of the Defence Staff, or any officer designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff, to be of military value;"

Beyond the 5-year point is also pretty much a no-go for occupational quals as well.  I'm actually surprised that the person you mention was even granted an RSBP (Recruit School Bypass) given a release date of 2005 and with their limited amount of service.

Thanks for the help and references. I'll dig in to it more.  It's frustrating because I served with him in Bosnia and Afghanistan (then again when he was back in Afghanistan as a civi). He's taking a pretty significant pay cut to rejoin, coming in as a Pte(b) seems harsh. Recruiting lost his whole file once and now this. At least he's getting written off his basic though.

I'm not sure of all the courses he was able to carry over but he said there was a few.

Back