• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

change trade

michaelayad

Reaction score
I'm currently doing my BMQ reserves and I want to change my trade from Armoured Solider to Human Resources Administrator. The question, is it ok submit a memo of changing trade while doing my BMQ or I must wait after my BMQ Graduation?

Do you know if your unit has a position for you as an HRA? That is the issue with reserves is that it is unit based.
Also, just because you request it doesn't mean it will be approved. You are requesting VOT-U, because you are untrained. Probably a good place to start would be with the OR at your unit.

It is really unit dependent, but in most places, HRAs are actually in short supply so that particular VOT might not be a tough sell.

As noted just previously- start with you chain of command.

It also depends if your CFAT score is high enough for that trade.

Please note also it will also depend on regulations in place. I'm not sure army rules but I know with NAVRES that the following are requirements for a VOT:
1) The occupation you're joining must have openings;
2) The occupation you're leaving must NOT be in the red (i.e. under strength);
3) You must be trade qualified in the occupation that you're leaving.

There's nothing wrong to speak with your unit Chain of Command to determine if it can be entertained, but realistically likely won't be considered until you're done Basic (at least from my experience when I was the Chief Clerk of reserve units)

Please note also it will also depend on regulations in place. I'm not sure army rules but I know with NAVRES that the following are requirements for a VOT:
1) The occupation you're joining must have openings;
2) The occupation you're leaving must NOT be in the red (i.e. under strength);
3) You must be trade qualified in the occupation that you're leaving.

There's nothing wrong to speak with your unit Chain of Command to determine if it can be entertained, but realistically likely won't be considered until you're done Basic (at least from my experience when I was the Chief Clerk of reserve units)
3) You must be trade qualified in the occupation that you're leaving (?)

Wouldn't that make it impossible to switch out in the middle of training?

3) You must be trade qualified in the occupation that you're leaving (?)

Wouldn't that make it impossible to switch out in the middle of training?
This is why it would be easier speaking with Chain of Command. The OP (original poster) stated they are currently in BMQ, and haven't started their Occupational training. Speak to your CoC and figure out next steps from there.

Back