• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Charles Pierre Moliere Three Rivers Regiment WW2 MID

johnp

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to find some information regarding my brother in laws father Charles Pierre Moliere Three Rivers Regiment WW2  No D 36525 he was mentioned in dispatches (MID) in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Italy. I am trying to find out more about the unit and possibly what he did to warrant the MID.

Any info would be really appreciated

Hope somebody may be able to help

Regards

Alex

I have a CD of the Second World War Honours and Awards to Canadians. Here is the entry for Charles Pierre Moliere:

MOLIERE, Charles Pierre, Warrant Officer Class II (Regimental Quartermaster-Sergeant) (D.36525) - Mention in Despatches - Armour (12 Canadian Armoured Regiment [Three Rivers Regiment] - awarded as per Canada Gazette and CARO/6074, both dated 22 September 1945

It was rare to find an actual citation for a MID, but there may be something in the Canada Gazette mentioned above. Your brother in law may be able to get a copy of his father's file from Library and Archives Canada.

As a finding aid more then anything else ... the 12e Régiment blindé du Canada is the successor regiment of the Three Rivers Regiment.

Hi

Thank you for the information really appreciated sadly my brother in law lost contact with his father Charles Moliere and cannot find out where or when he died. Sadly there will be very few war veterans still alive who may have known Charles

Best Regards

Alex

It is possible to get a file via Access To Information even if you lack proof of death.  Personal details of the man in question and any other individuals mentioned in the file (family, etc.) will be blacked out.  I don't know the process myself, but have used Arnie Kay whose contact info is listed here:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/freelance-researchers/Pages/freelance-researchers.aspx?Paged=TRUE&p_ID=30&PageFirstRow=31&&View={E0D2BBF7-8D7A-4545-AB95-DEE643894A7E}

He charges a reasonable fee.

Old Sweat said:
.... It was rare to find an actual citation for a MID, but there may be something in the Canada Gazette mentioned above. Your brother in law may be able to get a copy of his father's file from Library and Archives Canada.
Nothing in the online version of Canada Gazette (the web page appears to be missing the WW2 stuff), but a mention in a supplement to the London Gazette from 10 Jan 1946
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37425/supplements/392/page.pdf

Good luck with the hunt!

Hi

A big thank you for your help in this matter as it is really important to my brother in law to find out about his lost father.
I have traced who i think it might be to 2 October 1954 Canada Gazetter, this entry appears :

Surveillant d'entretien, classo 4. ministère de I.» Défense nationale. Montréal (Longue-Pointe), P.Q. Vates. Sy.lney Frank. SAO-B. Montréal, P.Q. •Molière. Charles-Pierre. SAO-B. Montréal, P.Q.
•Indique que le candidat est bilingue

As the name Moliere is not common and the rest is an exact match it could be the man.

How easy is it to find death records in Montreal Canada ?

Best Regards

John

Hi

HELP

I have had a look at the Three Rivers Regiment history and Charles Pierre Moliere is mentioned under Honours but what is confusing is the rank give:

S.O.B. (I) C. P. Molière

What is SOB(I) is it a french term

Also Charles's rank is shown as MOLIERE, Charles Pierre, Warrant Officer Class II (Regimental Quartermaster-Sergeant). What does a  Regimental Quartermaster-Sergeant actually do in the unit.

Regards

John

You don't have to keep repeating your question here or in other threads.  If somebody knows the answer they will help you.  Repeating the question just pisses people off and they will less inclined to answer, just my advice.

OK. I thought refreshing the thread may help, but it appears to piss you off though will not happen again

I have no idea what S.O.B. (1) is, but the appointment of Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (RQMS) was and is an important one. He was a Warrant Officer Class II which was the second highest non-commissioned rank on the scale. As the RQMS he reported to the Quartermaster and under his direction he would play a vital role in ensuring the regiment was supplied with ammunition, food, fuel and just about everything else from spark plugs to beans to toilet paper and thus was able to fight. A not too accurate equivalent would be a senior manager of a good sized Canadian Tire, or maybe a Walmart Supercentre. And remember that 70 years ago all his calculations and planning and requesting stuff from back along the logistics chain was done without the aid of computers to keep the records and compute the requirements and automatically submit the requirements.

Hi

Thats brilliant thank you very much for the answer it puts into perspective what his role was. As the TRR had an arduous and almost continuous fight through Sicily, Italy and Europe during 1943 -45. This maybe why he got his MID keeping the unit going

Really appreciated thanks

Best regards

John 

johnp said:
I have had a look at the Three Rivers Regiment history and Charles Pierre Moliere is mentioned under Honours but what is confusing is the rank give:

S.O.B. (I) C. P. Molière

What is SOB(I) is it a french term

I noticed on the French language history of the regiment: Les soldats-citoyens : histoire du Régiment de Trois-Rivières, 1871-1978 (available online http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=710440) that in Annex H which, lists all of the regiment's RSM's, they are shown with the rank of S.O.B. (I) until 1965 when it is changed to Adjudant-chef.  That would lead one to believe that SOB I and SOB II were the regiment's French language equivalent to WOI and WOII.

The interesting thing is that in the English language history: War Chronicles (1939-1945) Three Rivers Regiment (available online http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2011/05/19/three-river-regiment/) the Warrant Officer ranks in the indices are provided in the same way, as S.O.B. (I) and S.O.B. (II).

My 2-cent answer, after much perusing of the 'net and wikipédia, is that S.O.B. is the abbreviation for Sous-officer de blindé, a designation for Warrant Officers exclusive to Armoured Regiments due to armoured's technical nature.  But I stand to be corrected.

Cheers,
Dan.

Back