• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

cheaters

I can speak to this from the perspective of two different eras.

In 1977 (the previous boom) I was a labourer in an oil camp (I was kitchen help - nothing fancy).  In 2006 I went to Fort Mac (temporarily, for only two weeks - and my company put us up in company owned mobiles) as part of a team to fix problems that my employer had encountered.  (I was not resident or a "permanent" labourer in either case).

In 1977 I washed a lot of dishes, peeled a lot of potatoes, played a lot of cards, and drank a WHOLE lot of booze.  And nobody cared.

In 2006 I worked HARD 18 hour days, stayed away from the bars, and NEVER played cards.

What was the difference in culture that I saw (aside from the obvious age difference between "1977 me", and "2006 me")?

Well - in 1977 it was accepted that all oilmen drank too much, whored too much, gambled too much, perhaps "smoked" too much, but hey -  they were a "tough bunch" who could work through their hangover. 

In 2006 it was recognized that ALL these men deal with multi-million dollar equipment, their peers' lives depended upon them, and not being "up to par" was unacceptable.  I welcome the change.

In my 2006 experience, we did drug/alcohol tests BEFORE being dispatched north from Edmonton.  A couple of guys didn't cut the mustard - I was glad they weren't brought along.  They were NOT fired (labour shortage being what it is), but they were NOT sent north to the oilfield - they stayed back in Edmonton, far away from where they could cause serious damage.

As a soldier, I dealt with life-threatening situations, and although I was guilty of being hungover on more than one occasion, I welcome the change that has taken place regarding impairment. 

As an oilfield worker, many (not me personally) deal with life-threatening situations, and although I was guilty of being hungover on more than one occasion, I welcome the change that has taken place regarding impairment.

Back