• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chest Rig preference

What type of chest rig/carrier/vest do you prefer?

• Current Canadian issue Tacvest

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Plate Carrier/chest rig

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Webbing style (ie. TT Mav/82 pattern webbing)

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • We should be issued both types

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Something that attaches right to our body armor

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Different option (see below)

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
A few years ago Milbrook Tactical in Ottawa was working on some kind of bracket system that was going to allow the CAF to turn the issued single tubes into dual tubes. Interesting concept but never heard anything come of it.
A few companies make arm links - but you are then left with 2 14’s or 18’s hanging off the front - neither is a modern tube these days.

Now I know what you're talking about I am not one bit surprised that the majority of NVGs are single tube.

Has the CAF tried to acquire some more dual tube?

Oof that’s a gut punch. I’d have figured the JTAC’s would at least rate a dual tube with GP, if not WP tubes.
Nope lol, we got JIM Compacts but not good NVGs.
Now I know what you're talking about I am not one bit surprised that the majority of NVGs are single tube.

Has the CAF tried to acquire some more dual tube?

No, there’s a project to refurbish tubes into WP single tubes but not a project to replace them.

Nope lol, we got JIM Compacts but not good NVGs.

No, there’s a project to refurbish tubes into WP single tubes but not a project to replace them.
You can’t refurbish a Green Phos tube into a White one. It’s a tube swap - which is more expensive than getting new NVG’s.

I mean I guess you could theoretically totally deconstruct the GT tube, but that would be even more expensive and complicated than a tube swap.

I cry.

You can’t refurbish a Green Phos tube into a White one. It’s a tube swap - which is more expensive than getting new NVG’s.

I mean I guess you could theoretically totally deconstruct the GT tube, but that would be even more expensive and complicated than a tube swap.

I cry.
Yeah I dunno I half read it in a power point and was t going to dive into the details. I suspect we’re trying g to use the “upgrade” process vs new procurement.

3 years to award a contract… jesus
One year for the info request, one year for bidders to advise on the requisition, and one year to issue the requisition, review bids, and sign the contract.

Part of the friction of the public purse: processes intended to increase transparency add time and effort.

One year for the info request, one year for bidders to advise on the requisition, and one year to issue the requisition, review bids, and sign the contract.

Part of the friction of the public purse: processes intended to increase transparency add time and effort.
In three years there are at least one and most likely more new night vision generations.

The CAF would be better off buying a Bde worth of VAS/STANO a year MOTS and cascade it down every year to the non high readiness forces. Eventually everyone in the CAF who should have night fighting gear would have it.

I suppose I just don’t understand how it can take a year to request information.

I suppose I just don’t understand how it can take a year to request information.
It's a formal process - documents are written up, posted (usually for a few months, often extended), one on one interviews with interested bidders... and the majority of the staff involved are doing multiple projects at the same time.

If you want an in-depth answer to that question, and want to spend the rest of your career in Ottawa, nominate yourself for the year-long course in Kingston. You'll learn all about ID vs OA vs Def vs Imp vs closeout, the thrilling backstory to PCRA and OPMCA, what the Treasury Board is (and isn't), learn the roles of OGDs like ISED and PSPC, talk about SBCAs, have an enhanced emphasis on Lessons Learned...

EDIT: Oh, and ITAR! Lots and lots of ITAR!

If you want an in-depth answer to that question, and want to spend the rest of your career in Ottawa, nominate yourself for the year-long course in Kingston. You'll learn all about ID vs OA vs Def vs Imp vs closeout, the thrilling backstory to PCRA and OPMCA, what the Treasury Board is (and isn't), learn the roles of OGDs like ISED and PSPC, talk about SBCAs, have an enhanced emphasis on Lessons Learned...

EDIT: Oh, and ITAR! Lots and lots of ITAR!

Right. I suppose that is an option, but can I jus ideally bitch about thing I don’t understand instead?

Right. I suppose that is an option, but can I jus ideally bitch about thing I don’t understand instead?
A non zero number of folks go through the program and, a few years later, retire and start working as DND civilians on projects while collecting their CAF pension (some go to class A reserve service as well).

A non zero number of folks go through the program and, a few years later, retire and start working as DND civilians on projects while collecting their CAF pension (some go to class A reserve service as well).
And the problems keep being perpetuated…

Hmmm I wonder why. ;)

Back