• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chick-fil-A Derangement Syndrome

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Chick filet moves north of the border and is targeted by protestors. This issue isnt going away as 15 restraunts are gonna be built in Toronto. They have an excellant product and strong family values [ they are closed on Sundays]. 

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/september/lgbt-activists-protest-christian-chicken-as-toronto-welcomes-chick-fil-a

- mod edit to fix spelling of thread title -

I never got the hype about Chick Filet.  When I finally went to one in the US, it was just another fast food joint with greasy chicken and fries.  Too be honest, the McDonalds chicken burgers are better.

As for Sundays, I'd just call that a poor business model, as you're giving a day to the competitor!

tomahawk6 said:
They have an excellant product and strong family values [ they are closed on Sundays]. 

Recognizing the validity of all types of different families seems to me to be a stronger indication of "family values" (whatever that really means) than not being open one day of the week.

I really miss Chik Fil A.  From marketing to their chicken to their waffle fries.  And the Chik Fil A sauce!

Their chicken soup is amazing.

tomahawk6 said:
They have an excellant product and strong family values [ they are closed on Sundays].
The ONLY U.S. fast food chain with greasier, more disgusting food is Popeyes.

Google "Chick-fil-a sex assault" for a long string of stories about their 'strong family values.'

Personally, I won't go into another Chick-fil-a again... ever... not because of some owners' homophobia, but simply because their food is absolute garbage.

ps - not sure why this is posted in Canadian Politics, rather than under mindless Radio Chatter.... since there's no political content here, merely protesters expressing their views (which I also disagree with).

Journeyman said:
ps - not sure why this is posted in Canadian Politics, rather than under mindless Radio Chatter.... since there's no political content here, merely protesters expressing their views (which I also disagree with).

OK. Moving to Radio Chatter.

mariomike said:
OK. Moving to Radio Chatter.
Well that was easy.  Can you also remove any content that disagrees with my personal opinions?  ;D

Journeyman said:
Can you also remove any content that disagrees with my personal opinions?  ;D
Your post is important to us - please hold for the next available moderator ... :)

tomahawk6 said:
Chick filet moves north of the border and is targeted by protestors. This issue isnt going away as 15 restraunts are gonna be built in Toronto. They have an excellant product and strong family values [ they are closed on Sundays]. 

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/september/lgbt-activists-protest-christian-chicken-as-toronto-welcomes-chick-fil-a

- mod edit to fix spelling of thread title -

The reason they are closed on Sundays is not because of family values but because of the founder’s religious convictions.  I personally witnessed the most outrageous behaviour of any store employees when a family of black people was told their type was not welcome in the restaurant.  Since then, I have never stepped foot in a Chick-Fil-A again.

Whats wrong with a Christian company ? Are ye godless heathens up there ? ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Whats wrong with a Christian company ? Are ye godless heathens up there ? ;D

It used to be pretty strict. In my neighbourhood, with the exception of the Legion, they didn't serve beer until 2001.

Used to go for spaghetti dinner. No wine. No beer. Had to settle for a Coke.  :)

tomahawk6 said:
. . . Are ye godless heathens up there ? ;D

No.  we just have more discerning palates.  We believe that chicken should be properly hand breaded, richly anointed with herbs and spices, and deep fried to a rich golden brown - as God (and Mary Brown) intended.

The food is good and the stores are busy.Its a popular place to work. The stores in my area are so busy its hard to get in. With 15 stores planned that will provide jobs for several hundred job seekers. The company will be paying taxes right ?

T6 - My own views on this differ slightly from the above ones. I spend a fair bit of time down south and quite frankly I like Chick-fil-A's chicken quite a bit and eat it often. I don't have a problem with them closing their stores on Sundays because that's a business decision that hurts them and not me. I do have concerns about their employees who don't need or want a day of rest or prayer but who do need the extra shifts to just get by. I'm not even all that concerned about their beliefs that marriage should just be between a man and a woman because the last time I looked one is free to believe what one wants (even up here). The fact that there has been the odd incident of disrespect at a store here or there isn't a big concern either as pretty much every group has the odd dimbulb who does something that isn't within company policy.

My concern starts with the owners acting on their one man/one woman beliefs in financially supporting agencies who go further than mere belief and who either actually discriminate or who advocate that such discrimination should be allowed by the state. Notwithstanding the clear constitutional requirement of separation between church and state, many state and federal legislatures and courts, are sneaking religion--by which I mean Christianity--into the law. The worst example of this is the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" and the resultant Hobby Lobby decision which infamously extended the ability to claim exemptions for religious beliefs to for-profit corporations.

I frankly believe that any individual should be allowed to hold whatever religious beliefs they want to so long as they do not act out in a way that infringes anyone else's human rights. Believe in one man/one woman if you want to but don't you dare to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple if your business is to bake cakes for the public. Either treat all people equally and fairly or get out of the business.

The problem isn't simply Chick-fil-A's owners advocating for restrictions on same sex couples, but that you currently have a large segment of your population feeling it's oats and taking restrictive stands based on obscure texts written by some sheep herders three thousand years ago in the Middle East and using them as justification to hurt perfectly fine people right here and right now. Even worse, their skewed beliefs are finding their way into ever more receptive and conservative legislatures who have long ago given up any pretense at the principle of separation of church and state. On top of that you are well on your way to developing a stacked judiciary who will less and less rein in the "peoples" worst, religious based excesses.

My hypocrisy is that despite all this, I still like and eat the damn chicken.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
My hypocrisy is that despite all this, I still like and eat the damn chicken.

Always been fast food urban legends,  :)
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSsFvk2cCwvccZhzdw3MYXtgY3kDA%3A1568223896402&ei=mDJ5XYaJGO7l_Qbk7JyICw&q=%22fast+food%22+%22urban+legends%22&oq=%22fast+food%22+%22urban+legends%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..45097...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.PuAffWdwOtU&ved=0ahUKEwiGtZeiqcnkAhXuct8KHWQ2B7EQ4dUDCAo#spf=1568223943921

Attachments

• kfcrat-1.jpg
    kfcrat-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 79
Journeyman said:
Well that was easy.  Can you also remove any content that disagrees with my personal opinions?  ;D

Then this while site would be empty...  :)

How do these people get time off work to protest a chicken fast food place? Think they're taking vacation days?

Do they protest on Sunday even though the restraunt is closed?

Blackadder1916 said:
No.  we just have more discerning palates.  We believe that chicken should be properly hand breaded, richly anointed with herbs and spices, and deep fried to a rich golden brown - as God (and Mary Brown) intended.

Don't forget the Colonel!

Speaking of the Colonel, a former co-worker used to own a KFC here in Kingston and according to him, Colonel Saunders was always happy that the Canadian franchises kept to the original cooking practices and not deviated like they had in the US.

Regarding what the owners fund, it's their money.  Those who don't want to work or shop there need not do so.  Those for whom that is not enough are free to whine and demonstrate.

The 4th amendment is narrow:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

There is no established federal religion; I'm almost certain there are no established state religions (maybe there is an obscure law on the books somewhere that amounts to one?) for Congress to try to disestablish.  Other than that, Congress is restrained from prohibiting the free exercise of religion, but not from accommodating it.  I'd expect to see more accommodation (public monuments, open expression, etc) rather than less, of all religions that care to assert a public presence.

It sure is easy to become oppressive while claiming to fight oppression.

Push too hard against peoples' freedoms to express their cultural quiffs - particularly among enclaves of themselves - and they will push back (as we have seen).  On this point, I don't mean to argue that it is right or required to yield, only that it is practical.  It was stupid to drive evangelicals into Trump's camp, but Democrats were - and still are - determined to leave no refuge for religion anywhere in public life.

Jarnhamar said:
How do these people get time off work to protest a chicken fast food place? Think they're taking vacation days?

Do they protest on Sunday even though the restraunt is closed?

They probably budget their time for what they think is important, in likely much the same way as people who spend a lot of time on this forum.  ::)

Back