• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class Badge - Questions relating to history.

FiredForEffect

Inactive
Reaction score
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, as this is my first post.

What I would like to know is the following:

• Is the "wreath" around the CPO2 badge considered a laurel or a wreath?
    What sort of branches make up the wreath? is there a reason behind this?

I'm looking for a written description of the badge in QRO's and CFAOs ext. I know this sounds like a finiky question, but it's for a training manual, so the terming has to be very specific.

If reference could be provided, that would be excellent, much thanks!

I would recommend looking through the CFP's found at the DH&R site as I would guess it would be found in one of them. Other then that will have to hope a storesman knows a site to obtain these descriptions for oyu.

A-AD-265-000/AG-001

3-4-6

b. CPO2, PO1, PO2. A single laurel branch on
each side of a silver fouled anchor with
crown above. The outside dimensions are 50
mm broad by 70 mm high. This badge is
worn on both the service cap/hat and the
beret.

George Wallace said:
A-AD-265-000/AG-001

3-4-6

beret.

Thank you very much, I'm assuming the description is the same regardless if it's the cap badge or the badge worn on the tunic?

Is the "wreath" around the CPO2 badge considered a laurel or a wreath?
What sort of branches make up the wreath? is there a reason behind this?

Both.  The rank insignia for CPO2 (MWO) is a "crown within a laurel wreath".

From the Oxford dictionary.

laurel
  • noun 1 an aromatic evergreen shrub or small tree with dark green glossy leaves. 2 historical a bay tree. 3 (laurels) a crown woven from bay leaves and awarded as an emblem of victory or mark of honour in classical times. 4 (laurels) honour or praise.

wreath
  • noun (pl. wreaths /reeths, ree&ulth;z/) 1 an arrangement of flowers, leaves, or stems fastened in a ring and used for decoration or for laying on a grave. 2 a curl or ring of smoke or cloud.

Actually...

If you want to find out more information regarding this rank badge... look towards the Army WOII (Warrant Officer 2nd Class) badge (pre-unification) as this is where the current badge for CPO2 and MWO originated from.

The traditional CPO2 rank insignia is actually three gold buttons at the end of the sleeve and was that way until unification I believe.  I believe Canada is the only navy in the Commonwealth to use the rank "CPO2", others just have CPO.

Ryan

FiredForEffect said:
George Wallace said:
A-AD-265-000/AG-001

3-4-6

beret.
Thank you very much, I'm assuming the description is the same regardless if it's the cap badge or the badge worn on the tunic?

Nope, 2 different badges - one for peak cap/beret, one for tunic, as a rank identifier as it were. Hope this helps.

Rank badge
94px-Navy_sleeve_CPO2.png

And cap badge
chief_petty_officer_hat_badge_gold_wire_miniature.jpg

cheeky_monkey said:

Nope, 2 different badges - one for peak cap/beret, one for tunic, as a rank identifier as it were. Hope this helps.

Rank badge
94px-Navy_sleeve_CPO2.png

And cap badge
chief_petty_officer_hat_badge_gold_wire_miniature.jpg

As they are talking about the laurel and it looks the same in both badges should not the answer be Yes?

Back