• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

chin ups with added weight

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search on here and didn‘t find what I was looking for. Was wondering if anyone on here does chin ups with added weight? I‘m currently doing 8 chin ups, full arm extension pulling up to my adams apple and I want to start adding some weight. What would be a good weight to start off with? 10 lbs? 20 lbs? What weight increment did some of you implement when you first started doing them? If it helps any, I weight about 122 lbs.

First how many chins do you want to be able to do, 10, 15, 20? Work yourself up to that number first and then start adding weight. Starting with 5lbs increments will help your body adjust faster than 10 or 20lb increments.

Wouldn‘t adding weight now allow me to increase the amount of chin-ups down the road without the weight? I‘d like to be able to get in 10-12 reps with no weight.

With a body resistance exercise, you SHOULD NOT add any weight whatsoever until you are close to doing enough repetitions that you are putting yourself at risk for a repetetive strain injury.

Pushups, pullups, situps, torrso raises, are all examples of exercises that do not require any weight resistance for most people.
for pushups, situps, pullups, you are not likely to injure yourself if you consistantly do 20 reps. However when the number you can do before you start to feel a good burn is significantly higher than that, then it may be time to add some resistance.

If you are only managing 8 pullups, and want to do more, then adding weight is not going to do anything for you. Only continued effort and good form will help you improve.

Additionaly, you can start working out (weight training) the muscular groups that are associated with chin ups. Though there are not really any weight training exercises that closely duplicate a chin up, there are plenty that can strengthen the muscles and stabilizing muscles that you use to do them.

Probably the best overall upper body strengthening exercise is the "dip" (suspending yourself between two bars, lowering yourself under control as far as comfortable, and pressing yourself back up until your arms are almost locked) This exercise works your shoulders, chest, triceps,lats, and traps.

Of course working these muscular groups induvidualy will help also. For lat‘s, you can do the lateral pull down (a reverse or negative chinup so to speak) *don‘t pull it down behind your head* people still do that, I can‘t imagine why.

For traps you do the upright row, or shoulder shrugs. Though if you are doing dips, you won‘t need to do these very often, if at all.

For shoulders, a seated shoulder press (military press) will build overall strength.

And for triceps, you can do a different style of dip, seated suspended between two benches with your hands behind you and lower your butt towards the floor as fas as is comfortable, and back to having your arms until nearly locked.
Alternatively you could do a tricep push/pull down.

As for your chest you really don‘t need a strong chest to do chinups, but doing the spectrum of chest presses (dumbell or barbell) {incline, decline, flat benches} will help improve pectoral strength for doing pushups.

There are many exercises for strengthening all these muscles groups really, and the best way to find out how to do them effeciently with good form is to ask someone who knows, to show you how.

Basically, my point in the end is do not add weight to your chin-ups. You will probably end up hurting your shoulders and/or your neck if you do. There are more effecient and safe ways to exercise those muscles. Chin-ups are more a way to gauge someones upper body strength, not a way to get stronger. Obviously you will build some strength doing them a lot, and they can help define your upper back tremendously, but the bulk of the work in strengthing those muscles should be done with targeted weight training.

I‘ve worked out in some pretty serious muscle head gyms over the last 8 years or so, and I can‘t say that I‘ve ever seen anyone doing chin-up‘s with weight. Dips? yes. Chinups? no.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! I should have mentioned that I have been training for 4 years and I‘m developed enough to the point where I can add 5 lbs and not get injured. Here‘s hoping. :) I‘ll try experimenting over the next few weeks (chin-ups with and without weight) and see how it feels.

As far as not seeing people in the gym performing chin-ups with weight, I guess not all are planning on joining the army and will be required to pull themselves up wearing an extra 5-8 pds of clothing, boots, etc.. :) For me, that could be tough. Just trying to prepare.

Thanks again.

This is a somewhat unrelated question...but I haven‘t been able to do any chin-ups because I strained a muscle in my right arm months ago. Pain shoots down my arm every time I hang from the overhead bars, so trying to pull up is out of the question. I‘m just worried that my arm is not healing...I‘ve been trying to lay off using it too much, but it has been a long time since the injury (almost a year now). Any suggestions on what I can do to help increase recovery?

I would see a doc about that dude, especially since it has been a few months. You might of torn something and it has not healed properly.

GirlFiredUp,

If you‘re concerned about hitting a plateau with your chinups than consider doing the Pyramid Technique. Basically you start off with your 1st set at 1 cu, then 2nd set at 2cu‘s so on and so on till you hit your max number of cu‘s. Once you‘re at the top of your "pyramid" then work your way back down to 1 set of 1. Basically something like this-

Each number represenst the number of cu‘s in each set. 8 is definately a lot to do in the pyramid technique (well pour moi anyways) but you will be able to increase your number of fresh pullups without having to add weight.

Try it for 30 days and if you‘re not completely satisfied just send it back for a full money refund. :D

Originally posted by GirlFiredUp:
[qb] Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! I should have mentioned that I have been training for 4 years and I‘m developed enough to the point where I can add 5 lbs and not get injured. Here‘s hoping. :) I‘ll try experimenting over the next few weeks (chin-ups with and without weight) and see how it feels.

As far as not seeing people in the gym performing chin-ups with weight, I guess not all are planning on joining the army and will be required to pull themselves up wearing an extra 5-8 pds of clothing, boots, etc.. :) For me, that could be tough. Just trying to prepare.

Thanks again. [/qb]
I love this passive aggresive post where you dismiss everything I said while still trying to act as though you appreciate the advice.

Just for a point of interest, I know people personally at my gym who train chin-ups who work for the fire dept, and for various police dept‘s. They wear heavy gear also.

My intention was to offer you some advice, not to demand that you do what I say. If my advice displeases you it would be better to just ignore it, not make a clever remark that you can handle lifting 5 extra pounds because you‘ve been working out for 4 years.
A persons body weight can fluxuate 5 pounds in a day, adding/removing 5 pounds will have little to no effect. Plus your original post indicated that you were thinking about adding up to 20 lbs.

Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned that
With a body resistance exercise, you SHOULD NOT add any weight whatsoever until you are close to doing enough repetitions that you are putting yourself at risk for a repetetive strain injury.

Pushups, pullups, situps, torrso raises, are all examples of exercises that do not require any weight resistance for most people.
for pushups, situps, pullups, you are not likely to injure yourself if you consistantly do 20 reps. However when the number you can do before you start to feel a good burn is significantly higher than that, then it may be time to add some resistance.
You stated you‘re doing 8.

I‘m making this statement based on many years of working out, talking to people who have a lot of experience with sports injuries and with muscular development. Some professional, some just serious fitness enthusiasts.

Granted whats right for one person may not always be right for the next, but this is an area where I‘ve found literally every person I‘ve talked to are in agreement. Adding weight to a chinup, pushup, situp, torrso raise, dips, or any other body weight resistance exercise is "likely" to lead to an injury, if you are doing them before you can do 20 or more naturaly.

Obviously thats not to say you‘re going to seperate your shoulder if you add 5-10lbs a couple of times, even if you weren‘t developed and hadn‘t worked out for four years. It means when you start adding real weight (enough that it might make a difference) and training with it, you could develop tendonitous or strain your muscles, thereby having to cease doing the exercise at all for a period of time.

It should be understood without saying that I don‘t care if you add weight or don‘t add weight. You put up a question, and I offered an opinion and some advice. I was trying to be friendly and helpful.

Whoa! Where do I start? Graham, first off, you are way off course. You offered up some advice and that is exactly how I took it and I thanked you for it and do appreciate the advice. So what‘s the problem?

My comment about being able to handle 5 lbs and mentioning the length of time I have been training was only to let you know where I was at in my workouts. I was just giving some details that might have helped you in providing me with some info on what I was looking for. Nothing more. It may have come across the wrong way. Sorry if you took it as a clever remark.

I obviously know that you were not demanding me to do what you say but thanks for your permission in allowing me to make my own decisions. :)

Anyways, this is really silly and I don‘t want to waste any more bandwidth on this. Feel free to email me if you are still not ok with this.

Duotone, are these continous sets? Like wow!! That is a challenge. I will definitely try that. Good tip.

GrahamD, I forgot about body weight fluctuating. I‘ll have to remember that when I try them with weight.

Thanks guys.

once again, thanks for the info. your suggestions and comments are no longer needed. have a nice day.

I know this is not completly on topic but I have been training for chinups for some time now and I have done 7 which is the most. My problem is that when I go down I do not go all the way down, and when I do I can‘t get up more than twice. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,

calno

First off, I‘m not an expert but I can tell you what I know if you don‘t mind it coming from a girl. :)

I started off only being able to do 1. Everytime I worked out, chin-ups would be the 1st exercise I would perform before any other. I found that if I left the excercise till the end, I could never get an increase in sets because my muscles were fatigued by that time. As someone mentioned on here, building your upper body.. arms mainly (biceps, tris and shoulders). Stengthening those muscles will help you with your chin-ups.

So my advice to you is:

1. strengthen or continue to strengthen biceps, triceps and shoulders;
2. make chin-ups the first exercise you perform before any other;
3. practice, practice, practice (if you can only do 1-3 on a full arm extension then keep at it.. eventually you will be able to do more); and,
4. get a spotter.. they can help get you through some extra reps that you normally can‘t do on your own.

All the best.

Girl Fired Up,

8 chin ups is a temendous feat- I‘d bet most of the folks here can‘t duplicate it. Way to go!

The amount of weight that a person uses in their excerices should be based on the results that you want to achieve. For instance, if you are trying to gain muscle mass, than low reps and heavy weight is the way to go. If you want cardiovascular strength, then low weights and hi reps rule.

There are all kinds of folk out there that will offer good advice on weight training, but as with anything, free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. I‘d suggest you get Arnold‘s book from Weider publishing. It is a tremendous resource, and will explain exactly why what excercise works, how to perform it correctly, and how to progress.

FWIW- I think that chin ups are an excellent way to develop back and shoulder muscles. More to the point, it is one of the required excercises in the Military. Make sure that sit-ups, push ups, and chin ups are part of your program, they‘ll be tested in basic.

Most of my training has been for bulk, and my training partner regularly added weights when performing chin ups. He had a waist belt, and the weights hung between his legs, on the front, allowing good form.

We also added weights when doing dips and push ups. Keep in mind that this training was geared specifically for body building (ie masses of deeply cut muscle) and NOT for cardiovascular strength. (ps- he won Mr Alberta that year :)

I think you‘re doing great. keep it up!

Cheers-Garry

If you want cardiovascular strength, then low weights and hi reps rule.
Interesting.

You say work out with a champion body builder?

What exercises do you do with "hi reps and low weights" to improve your cardiovascular strength?

How many reps are we talking?

So you indicated that adding weight to chin-ups was something that your body building, championship winning friend did, so assuming that I could only do 8 natural chinups, would you recommend that I add weight to my chinups?

Back