• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Whatever the conclusions of the two parliamentary committees (if they ever conclude due to Liberal filibustering) and Johnson's report, will Trudeau read them?:giggle:
doesn't matter. Trudeau has succeeded in punting the whole sorry episode well into the future and away from the front pages which is all he was trying to do. Those Canadians who try to remain vocal will be shut up with a "I can't comment on that while the investigation is underway". It will be interesting to see if all documentation is released to the inquiry totally unredacted.

Nothing says impartial like a "family friend" eh?

This is just Escape and Evasion rule #1.

Create time and distance.

You have to hand it to Team Trudeau though, it's a brilliant choice of an investigator. Any questions about his appointment and it quickly becomes "So you don't even trust someone your own party picked for governor general?!. You'll never be satisfied!".

Completely oblivious to Payette's appointment, of course.

doesn't matter. Trudeau has succeeded in punting the whole sorry episode well into the future and away from the front pages which is all he was trying to do. Those Canadians who try to remain vocal will be shut up with a "I can't comment on that while the investigation is underway". It will be interesting to see if all documentation is released to the inquiry totally unredacted.
Putting it off until the future is basically where (to use Ron deSantis’s logic) intelligence reports go to die.

Reactions: QV
In fairness -

OPINION

David Johnston is an inspired choice to investigate Chinese election interference​

John Ibbitson
JOHN IBBITSON

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tapped David Johnston, former governor general, to look into the evidence of Chinese election interference.GEOFF ROBINS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
193 COMMENTS

David Johnston is an inspired choice for special rapporteur investigating Chinese interference in Canadian elections. If he is wise, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre will accept that choice. Because to criticize Mr. Johnston would be the same as criticizing Stephen Harper.
The former prime minister selected Mr. Johnston to be Canada’s 28th governor-general in 2010. Mr. Harper asked Mr. Johnston to stay on in 2015.
At the time, it looked as though Canada might have a hung Parliament after the autumn general election. Mr. Harper wanted a trusted and seasoned governor-general to handle any difficulties that might arise. Out of a sense of duty, Mr. Johnston agreed.
Now he has been asked to take on a new duty, and a heavy one it is. The key question is whether Mr. Johnston, after examining all the evidence, much of it secret, will advocate for a public inquiry into Chinese election interference or propose other measures to protect the integrity of the next Canadian election.
Whatever he decides, Canadians of goodwill should accept that decision. There are few, if any, figures in Canadian life whose word can be more trusted.
Mr. Johnston arrived at Rideau Hall after a tempestuous period. His predecessor, Michaëlle Jean, had faced a constitutional crisis, when Mr. Harper asked her to prorogue Parliament to avoid a vote of non-confidence. Ms. Jean chose wisely in granting prorogation. But it reminded Canadians that the governor-general’s role, while mostly ceremonial, can become pivotal in times of crisis.
Mr. Johnston came to the job of governor-general superbly qualified: He was first a legal scholar, then dean of law at the University of Western Ontario, then principal of McGill University, and then president of the University of Waterloo.
In his years as GG, he displayed discretion, good humour and sound judgment, qualities that will be required in this new role, at a time of deep public unease over foreign interference in our elections.
The Trudeau government has responded with secrecy and obfuscation to reports in The Globe and Mail and Global News that the Chinese government sought to influence the 2019 and 2021 elections, allegedly to help certain Liberal MPs get elected.
Mr. Trudeau agreed to appoint a special rapporteur only after it became clear that the public demanded a response.

Polls show that most Canadians would like to see a stronger response from the federal government over Chinese election interference. Opposition party leaders are calling for one. Mr. Johnston’s job is to look at all the evidence, including materials before two parliamentary committees, and recommend a course of action.
Mr. Poilievre has, in the past, not hesitated to shoot the messenger when he didn’t like the message. He dismissed the report of Justice Paul Rouleau that concluded the Liberal government was justified in invoking the Emergencies Act to deal with protests and blockades last year.
Mr. Poilievre dismissed that conclusion using an ad hominem argument that Justice Rouleau had ties to the Liberal Party. There is nothing in the report that this writer can discern to suggest Justice Rouleau exhibited any kind of bias or political partisanship.
The Conservative Leader has previously dismissed Mr. Trudeau’s promise to appoint a rapporteur, “which of course will be another establishment Liberal appointed by him who will say everything is fine, let’s just close the book, move on, and let the dictatorship in Beijing once again interfere to help Justin Trudeau get re-elected.”
But it’s a pretty safe bet that Mr. Harper would not have appointed Mr. Johnston if he considered him to be “another establishment Liberal.” And if Mr. Poilievre dismisses Mr. Johnston in those terms this time, he will anger some very senior members of the previous Conservative government.
That may not stop him. As my colleague Andrew Coyne tweeted, Mr. Johnston recommended the terms of reference for the Oliphant inquiry into dealings between the businessman Karlheinz Schreiber and former prime minister Brian Mulroney. Those terms of reference were strongly criticized. And it will not help that Mr. Johnston is a member of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
Poilievre adviser Jenni Byrne tweeted criticism of Mr. Johnston’s performance as head of the electoral debates commission.
But the question is simply this: Should Canadians trust the judgment of the person appointed by the Trudeau government to look into the evidence of Chinese election interference? I cannot think of anyone whose judgment I would trust more.

In fairness -

OPINION

David Johnston is an inspired choice to investigate Chinese election interference​

John Ibbitson
JOHN IBBITSON

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tapped David Johnston, former governor general, to look into the evidence of Chinese election interference.GEOFF ROBINS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
193 COMMENTS

David Johnston is an inspired choice for special rapporteur investigating Chinese interference in Canadian elections. If he is wise, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre will accept that choice. Because to criticize Mr. Johnston would be the same as criticizing Stephen Harper.
The former prime minister selected Mr. Johnston to be Canada’s 28th governor-general in 2010. Mr. Harper asked Mr. Johnston to stay on in 2015.
At the time, it looked as though Canada might have a hung Parliament after the autumn general election. Mr. Harper wanted a trusted and seasoned governor-general to handle any difficulties that might arise. Out of a sense of duty, Mr. Johnston agreed.
Now he has been asked to take on a new duty, and a heavy one it is. The key question is whether Mr. Johnston, after examining all the evidence, much of it secret, will advocate for a public inquiry into Chinese election interference or propose other measures to protect the integrity of the next Canadian election.
Whatever he decides, Canadians of goodwill should accept that decision. There are few, if any, figures in Canadian life whose word can be more trusted.
Mr. Johnston arrived at Rideau Hall after a tempestuous period. His predecessor, Michaëlle Jean, had faced a constitutional crisis, when Mr. Harper asked her to prorogue Parliament to avoid a vote of non-confidence. Ms. Jean chose wisely in granting prorogation. But it reminded Canadians that the governor-general’s role, while mostly ceremonial, can become pivotal in times of crisis.
Mr. Johnston came to the job of governor-general superbly qualified: He was first a legal scholar, then dean of law at the University of Western Ontario, then principal of McGill University, and then president of the University of Waterloo.
In his years as GG, he displayed discretion, good humour and sound judgment, qualities that will be required in this new role, at a time of deep public unease over foreign interference in our elections.
The Trudeau government has responded with secrecy and obfuscation to reports in The Globe and Mail and Global News that the Chinese government sought to influence the 2019 and 2021 elections, allegedly to help certain Liberal MPs get elected.
Mr. Trudeau agreed to appoint a special rapporteur only after it became clear that the public demanded a response.

Polls show that most Canadians would like to see a stronger response from the federal government over Chinese election interference. Opposition party leaders are calling for one. Mr. Johnston’s job is to look at all the evidence, including materials before two parliamentary committees, and recommend a course of action.
Mr. Poilievre has, in the past, not hesitated to shoot the messenger when he didn’t like the message. He dismissed the report of Justice Paul Rouleau that concluded the Liberal government was justified in invoking the Emergencies Act to deal with protests and blockades last year.
Mr. Poilievre dismissed that conclusion using an ad hominem argument that Justice Rouleau had ties to the Liberal Party. There is nothing in the report that this writer can discern to suggest Justice Rouleau exhibited any kind of bias or political partisanship.
The Conservative Leader has previously dismissed Mr. Trudeau’s promise to appoint a rapporteur, “which of course will be another establishment Liberal appointed by him who will say everything is fine, let’s just close the book, move on, and let the dictatorship in Beijing once again interfere to help Justin Trudeau get re-elected.”
But it’s a pretty safe bet that Mr. Harper would not have appointed Mr. Johnston if he considered him to be “another establishment Liberal.” And if Mr. Poilievre dismisses Mr. Johnston in those terms this time, he will anger some very senior members of the previous Conservative government.
That may not stop him. As my colleague Andrew Coyne tweeted, Mr. Johnston recommended the terms of reference for the Oliphant inquiry into dealings between the businessman Karlheinz Schreiber and former prime minister Brian Mulroney. Those terms of reference were strongly criticized. And it will not help that Mr. Johnston is a member of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.
Poilievre adviser Jenni Byrne tweeted criticism of Mr. Johnston’s performance as head of the electoral debates commission.
But the question is simply this: Should Canadians trust the judgment of the person appointed by the Trudeau government to look into the evidence of Chinese election interference? I cannot think of anyone whose judgment I would trust more.
Wonder if she would have been a better choice - Louise Arbour

I find it interesting that the pre-eminent paper of the Canadian Establishment is the one founded by a Radical Reformer, a Scottish Dissenting Non-Conformist - follower of a non-conforming presbyterian sect that fought against the established Episcopalian Tories.

Success requires capturing the organs of the state.

PP is a fool if he doesn't want to clear this whole thing up now, including clearing house in the CP of any MP's that might be tainted in anyway. Burn down the whole house now and rebuild the entire thing if necessary. Sit back and have the termites munch and crunch on your house over the next 3-5yrs and then once your in power they become exposed then, no way, rip the band aid off now.
Yup.

JT deserves to lose power over this, no doubt. But as the details keep coming it becomes more clear that his conduct is almost a secondary issue to what increasingly looks like a pervasive and existential threat that won't disappear with his ouster, one that triggers some very tough discussions about democracy and freedom of political expression in a multi-cultural country.

No party is innocent. The former GoC signed a one sided trade deal with China that does little to protect Canada's interests.
It's because the rot goes past politics. Canadian business leaders and politicians are just looking out for their own best interests, Canada be damned.

The kind of people who decided off-shoring all of our manufacturing was a great idea are the same kind of people who are now selling our resource extraction and processing to China.

I believe that both major parties have had a hand in allowing China to exert undue influence, although the LPC probably caused more damage due to their being in power longer. I honestly think that most of the politicians in their day knew that China was a rising star and to NOT hitch our wagons to them economically would result in Canada losing its competitiveness. Mind you, saying yes to China’s early initiatives would also make their party more popular than the other party. I’m sure that some of those politicians thought that by doing trade with China we were also helping to gradually wipe out communism. Fair enough.

But then the Communist Party in China reasserted itself and began to show its true colours. And that is when the politicians should have acted. However for one reason or another they didn’t. And that is where the politicians showed their lack of cajones. Some, such as John McCallum, were quite strident in their being pro-China, while others were a little less obvious. Also Trudeau had previously expressed at least some admiration for Chairman Mao, much as his father had done.

Looking back, a lot of mistakes were made. But it’s not the past so much that bothers me. It’s the present. And in my opinion if alarm bells aren’t going off and being heard by any politician, then that politician needs to get turfed out of office. No more platitudes. Action is what is necessary and now. We need to throw out some of our politicians, throw out the Chinese embassy and consular officials responsible. We need to severely reduce our bi-lateral trade with China in favour of trade with friendlier nations as well as domestic manufacturin. And we need to quickly build up our military to proportions not seen since at least the early 1960s. A very tall order? You betcha.

I believe that both major parties have had a hand in allowing China to exert undue influence, although the LPC probably caused more damage due to their being in power longer. I honestly think that most of the politicians in their day knew that China was a rising star and to NOT hitch our wagons to them economically would result in Canada losing its competitiveness. Mind you, saying yes to China’s early initiatives would also make their party more popular than the other party. I’m sure that some of those politicians thought that by doing trade with China we were also helping to gradually wipe out communism. Fair enough.

But then the Communist Party in China reasserted itself and began to show its true colours. And that is when the politicians should have acted. However for one reason or another they didn’t. And that is where the politicians showed their lack of cajones. Some, such as John McCallum, were quite strident in their being pro-China, while others were a little less obvious. Also Trudeau had previously expressed at least some admiration for Chairman Mao, much as his father had done.

Looking back, a lot of mistakes were made. But it’s not the past so much that bothers me. It’s the present. And in my opinion if alarm bells aren’t going off and being heard by any politician, then that politician needs to get turfed out of office. No more platitudes. Action is what is necessary and now. We need to throw out some of our politicians, throw out the Chinese embassy and consular officials responsible. We need to severely reduce our bi-lateral trade with China in favour of trade with friendlier nations as well as domestic manufacturin. And we need to quickly build up our military to proportions not seen since at least the early 1960s. A very tall order? You betcha.
Well PP has come out in the last hour saying that DJ is a bad choice and has called on JT to call a new completely independant individual to hold this new position.

Well PP has come out in the last hour saying that DJ is a bad choice and has called on JT to call a new completely independant individual to hold this new position.
I get it, the man is likned to both the Trudeau family, and the Trudeau Foundation... It's hard to not look like there is a conflict of interest. If the media doesn't drop the topic, this could be one more "own goal" from the LPC.

The problem will be, who is "eminent" enough for Canadians, but also not part of the inbred world of Ottawa's elites?

I get it, the man is likned to both the Trudeau family, and the Trudeau Foundation... It's hard to not look like there is a conflict of interest. If the media doesn't drop the topic, this could be one more "own goal" from the LPC.

The problem will be, who is "eminent" enough for Canadians, but also not part of the inbred world of Ottawa's elites?
Louise Arbour is who I would select.

Couldn't they at least try and not make it so obvious? Trudeau is just trolling us now...

Couldn't they at least try and not make it so obvious? Trudeau is just trolling us now...
I'm glad they are fumbling things this badly, it exposes how inept they are when things aren't going exactly according to their script.

Reactions: QV
Back