• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

About the destruction of the reputation of David Johnston - Or if he'd only said "Thanks Justin, I've got fuck you money now and don't need the headache"

Johnston was right. Canada really is a small country…if you’re lucky enough to move in circles where “good friends” share a leafy Ottawa estate, where you can ask a “great friend” for a legal opinion clearing you of a conflict of interest, and where you can get your dad’s old confidant to grade your job performance on a matter of national security.

Between superannuated Supremes and eminent Canadians, our federal politics sometimes feels like a collegial class of old friends swapping favours and extending to each other a presumption of trust and goodwill that I suspect very few ordinary Canadians think they deserve. In other words, it’s just another day at the office for Canada’s top men.

Johnston insisted that he was not in a conflict of interest. He said he asked retired Supreme Court of Canada justice Frank Iacobucci for his opinion and was given the all-clear.
But that argument did little to dissuade his critics. Experts say that Johnston's own words, and the words of the prime minister, indicate Johnston was most likely in a conflict of interest — even if there's no way to determine if his report was biased as a result.
"So even if we say that David Johnston was in a conflict of interest, we're not suggesting anything about his integrity or about his capacity to rise above those interests," Andrew Stark, a professor of political science at the University of Toronto, told CBC News.
"We're simply saying there was an encumbrance that existed and perhaps you shouldn't have been the person to do this job."

The grooming starts at some daycare center at the Glebe, followed by a posh school such as Greys Point Academy or Upper Canada College then a law degree at McGill University, and a MBA at Harvard. A few cushy PS jobs to get a bit of seasoning followed by an appointment of VP of fuckery at SNC Lavalin and then a safe seat in Danforth or a law career that finishes at the Supreme Court. And there you have it, the path to the upper reaches of the Laurentian Elite!
It's interesting that average Canadian's don't realize how inbred the upper levels of our PS and government are. We have aristocracy in all but name.

Born to a "noble" in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal area, your likelihood of success in government is much higher than someone born in the wilderness... Obviously there are outliers, but they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Moves by the Feds to make French language essential in more areas of public and private work will just make it worse.

It's interesting that average Canadian's don't realize how inbred the upper levels of our PS and government are. We have aristocracy in all but name.

Born to a "noble" in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal area, your likelihood of success in government is much higher than someone born in the wilderness... Obviously there are outliers, but they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Moves by the Feds to make French language essential in more areas of public and private work will just make it worse.
That is true within the CAF as well.

Nepotism and connections have often times held more weight than actual performance or ability.

As much as we like to toot our horn about being an egalitarian society in Canada, our history and institutions say otherwise. I wonder how much of that is a bug and how much of it is a feature.

I find it hilarious when I am meeting people for the first time and they ask where I grew up and where I did my undergrad. The look I get when I inform them I'm a Temporary Gentleman who started out as a poor immigrant kid from Scarlem is priceless.

Luxury!

I'm pretty sure the people that taught me French in rural SE PEI couldn't carry a conversation with a Quebecer en francais... As a child, why learn a language that only exists in any number in two provinces?

As an adult, I realized that it's the difference between being promoted, and watching people less capable getting promoted.

That is true within the CAF as well.

Nepotism and connections have often times held more weight than actual performance or ability.

As much as we like to toot our horn about being an egalitarian society in Canada, our history and institutions say otherwise. I wonder how much of that is a bug and how much of it is a feature.

I find it hilarious when I am meeting people for the first time and they ask where I grew up and where I did my undergrad. The look I get when I inform them I'm a Temporary Gentleman who started out as a poor immigrant kid from Scarlem is priceless.

Isn't that human nature to an extent. Those with power will try and ensure that power is hereditary. In life it's about who you know, not what you know.

It's the same in pro sports. Look into how man pro athletes are family members of other pro athletes or high performing athletes.

It's on the micro level too. How many municipal police and fire departments are essentially family businesses ?

I think it was the book Freakenomics that delved into this.

Isn't that human nature to an extent. Those with power will try and ensure that power is hereditary. In life it's about who you know, not what you know.

It's the same in pro sports. Look into how man pro athletes are family members of other pro athletes or high performing athletes.

I think it was the book Freakenomics that delved into this.
I agree that it's definitely a feature within human nature. Hell you see it throughout the animal kingdom as well.

My point was more that when we form a society on the belief that we value merit and ability over family lineage, but then have the "Laurentian Elites" or "legacies" in the way and getting in the way of that pesky "democracy" thing.

It's oligarchy akin to Russia or China, but we're better because "well we let the people decide...."

The Globe isn’t stopping.

Too bad he succumbed to the pressure instead of showing real leadership.

He recalled how, as prime minister, he received pressure from the corporate sector to mute his criticism of China’s human-rights record.

During the early to mid 1930s many in Britain, France and elsewhere saw Germany in a positive light, especially as having been treated unfairly with post-WW1 war reparations. Much of the British upper class, in fact, began to see Hitler as the person the world needed to save them from the spread of communism. Yet, in a few short years, the adulation that existed amongst Britains of all classes for Germany’s remarkable economic and social turnaround soon turned to fear. Even Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain began to see Germany as a threat to the whole world.

In the meantime Britain’s Royal Navy which, on paper, was the largest and seemingly most powerful in the world was, in fact, quite outdated with many of its capital ships being well past their expected lifespan, with guns that had long since lost their accuracy. The RAF was probably in worse shape, with mostly older biplanes to protect the country and very few of them, in fact, compared to the newer Luftwaffe planes emerging from the factories. As for the army, the decision had previously been made to seriously downsize it and to trust in the French army with their vaunted Maginot line to protect the world from German expansion on the ground.

By late 1935 public opinion in Britain was no longer quite so supportive of Germany and by 1937-38 a desperate attempt to catch up militarily with Germany began.

It seems to me that Canadians are finally beginning to wake up to the insidious threats undertaken by both China and Russia, especially China. The comparisons I’ve made with Britain in the 1930s are, I feel, appropriate. It’s not just the United States,
Britain, Japan and Australia that need to re-arm. Canada also needs to undergo serious re-armament immediately and to do its part in preventing war or, should worst come to worst, fight a war with the tools and weapons we need to do the job. Otherwise, who knows, maybe when China is poised to invade Taiwan, as Germany did with Czechoslovakia, the West will end up doing nothing to stop them with the U.S. president saying he has achieved “peace in our time”. And we know how long that claim lasted when first uttered by PM Chamberlain.

It seems to me that Canadians are finally beginning to wake up to the insidious threats undertaken by both China and Russia, especially China. The comparisons I’ve made with Britain in the 1930s are, I feel, appropriate. It’s not just the United States,
Britain, Japan and Australia that need to re-arm. Canada also needs to undergo serious re-armament immediately and to do its part in preventing war or, should worst come to worst, fight a war with the tools and weapons we need to do the job. Otherwise, who knows, maybe when China is poised to invade Taiwan, as Germany did with Czechoslovakia, the West will end up doing nothing to stop them with the U.S. president saying he has achieved “peace in our time”. And we know how long that claim lasted when first uttered by PM Chamberlain.
Perhaps the Canadian public is waking up thanks to the Globe and a couple of very brave snitches but has the GOC shown any signs whatsoever of a similar epiphany? At least publicly they are making the same excuses and relying on rhetoric rather than action. I clipped this from the Breaking Defense website and while it refers specifically to controlling one's own defense industry, the principal is germane to this discussion as well. A Czech MoD statement regarding the contract stated: “The conflict in Ukraine has shown that having companies with these capabilities on its territory and subordinate to the state is an absolutely essential strategic advantage that determines the ability to defend one’s own territory.”

Sorry for the slight derail but we have often talked about Canadians indifference to the military and defence spending, something that was not lost on our allies. Attached is screen shot from a Confidential 1985 CIA report titled, "The Politics of Canadian Defence."

1685218506120.png
The complete document can be found here.

Last edited:
A little long but goes into some of the Tories’ skeevy Beijing connections.

Conservatives, the Media and CCP Psy-Ops.

Weekend Special: Who to trust?​

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLockFullIcon%3Fv%3D4%26height%3D28%26strokeWidth%3D3.6
MAY 27
Concluding the effort that began May 8 with Real Story Series: Diplomat, Socialite, Spy, we left off yesterday with the horrible fate that befell the Federation for a Democratic China and its vice-president, Sheng Xue, whose warnings to the House of Commons about Beijing’s influence operations in Canada, 17 years ago, were ignored.
I highlighted Sheng’s November 21, 2006 testimony to a House of Commons committee in my May 3 column in the National Post and the Ottawa Citizen, Have we finally reached a tipping point in Chinese interference?, after which I took a brief break from newspapering that ended this past week with David Johnston escapes inquiry into his own China dealings.
In sum, the mayhem that engulfed Sheng and her federation was what Nicholas Bequelin, Amnesty International’s regional director for East Asia, called “a textbook destabilization of the exile movement.”
This edition of The Real Story is going to be quite link-rich. Best to just read through and come back to the links if you want, when you’re done. A word of caution: I can talk trash about the Ottawa press gallery as well as anyone, and much of the criticism (especially when aimed at the bosses at the CBC) is richly deserved, but sweeping denunciations are wholly unfair.
There’s war, and there’s war, and then there’s war. Xi Jinping isn’t relying only on the military in his plans to subvert and conquer the world’s liberal democracies.
So keep that in mind, and do remember as well the caution I left off with in yesterday’s newsletter, perhaps especially when I get into the business about the Conservative Party: If you’re susceptible to paranoia, try harder to fight it. Don’t succumb. If you can’t fight it, you’ll probably want to steer clear of what’s coming down the pike here.
First, some serendipitous “breaking” developments:

Merci, Jean-Francois Cloutier​

I’m as amused as anyone that I’ve been pretty much alone in the Anglo news media in noticing that the Impeccably Credentialed Laurentian Gentleman David Johnston’s “ski buddy” conflicts of interest vis-a-vis the Trudeau family are small spuds compared to his lifetime of kowtowing to and collaborating with Beijing’s state-capitalist establishment in Canada.
Odd that Pierre Poilievre’s Conservatives, too, have chosen not to notice. So I’m pleased to see that Johnston’s troubling China ties have attracted the attention of award-winning journalist Jean-Francois Cloutier and the Journal de Montreal’s Investigation Bureau, in two full pagesof this weekend’s newspaper.
The Journal de Montreal spread highlights eight apprehensions of bias in Johnston’s appointment as Prime Minister Trudeau’s “special independent rapporteur” in the matter of the Trudeau government’s handling of Beijing’s election interference operations in 2019 and 2021.
Of the eight instances of conflict cited by the Journal team, seven directly relate to the Beijing-infuence angles that compromise Johnston (all of which I’ve covered either in my columns or in this newsletter; thanks for that credit, Journal crew!). It’s only the last one, headlined Trudeau Family Friend, that gets into the “ski buddy” stuff.
If any of my subscribers are tempted to bang on about the “MSM” right now, I get it, but save it. I’m still “MSM,” and the news media’s overall incapacitation in Canada is the main reason I launched this newsletter in the first place. While I’ve been suitably harsh -on the bosses at the CBC, for instance - let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?
As for my own “scoops” about David Johnston, it’s just that I have a bit of an unfair advantage. I’ve had my eye on him for years. Here’s me six years ago, in Macleans: Ottawa's despicable display in China.
It would be hard to imagine a more obscene display of Canada’s slavish relationship with China’s depraved Communist Party regime: The very moment imprisoned democracy activist and Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo died under heavy guard on a hospital bed in the northeast city of Shenyang on Thursday, a beaming Governor General David Johnston was posing for photographs at the opulent Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing, shaking hands with Chinese tyrant Xi Jinping, Liu’s jailer and tormentor.
It was all so very chummy.

Oh look. Apparently Beijing isn’t fond of Erin O’Toole.​

Here’s Bob Fife and Steven Chase, first again with the news, if we can even call this “news” anymore: Former Conservative leader informed he is being targeted by Chinese government. No kidding? What’s really newsworthy about this is that O’Toole is being told only now that Beijing put a target on his back while he was Conservative leader, and it’s still there.
A source close to Mr. O’Toole said the Conservative MP was briefed Friday by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and he is still considering how best to reveal details to the public in a manner that balances Canadians’ right to know with national-security concerns about classified information.
Again, this will not surprise this newsletter’s subscribers, who have been privy to some key “details” about the targeting of O’Toole, about which there will be more today. It’s pretty much the main attraction in today’s newsletter, which I’ve been holding onto and I’ve been hinting at for days, and now it’s here.
Here’s another amusing confluence. Yesterday I posted a link to Friday’s newsletter on Twitter, thus: It's worse than you think. More tomorrow. Here’s a dispatch a few hours later from the Globe’s Nathan Vanderklippe: Stephen Harper thinks foreign interference is ‘far worse than we think’. It is not altogether routine for me to agree with the former prime minister on many things, so I just point this out, for levity.
Anyway, as promised: What’s the deal with that English-language magazine that the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service says has been paid to run pro-Beijing propaganda? What’s the story behind that dubious “China expert” who keeps showing up in the press? And what’s the story behind a former registered China lobbyist who has somehow ended up on the Conservative Party’s governing council?
Better sit back for this one.
Most of this series has been available to free subscribers, with the darker stuff available to my paying subscribers. We’re going dark now.
Subscribed

The Skeezy, The Scoundrels and the Royally Screwed​

The Canadian Security and Intelligence report the Globe and Mail’s indefatigable Steve Chase and Bob Fife relied on to blow open the story about Ministry of State Security agent and social butterfly Wei Zhao’s involvement in the plot to “make an example” of the Conservatives’ Mike Chong was titled People’s Republic of China Foreign Interference in Canada: a Critical National Security Threat.
A key focus of the report concerned Chinese influence operations aimed at destabilization of the Conservative Party, which I got into in a column here: China's main goal? Ensuring Canada's Conservatives would loseand elaborated upon for Real Story subscribers, with some pretty disturbing backstory, here: Beijing’s Best Canadian Friends, Part Etcetera.
Conservatives who are enjoying a well-deserved surfeit of schadenfreude at the Liberals’ expense these days should keep these things in mind, and should recall this Weekend Special on the lucrative contractual acquisitions Jean Charest didn’t come clean about when he wanted to be Conservative Party boss: The Comprador in the Conservative leadership race keeps digging. Here's the bedrock Jean Charest is about to hit.
Conservatives would also do well to reflect on their good fortune in the ill luck that befell Charest’s fellow leadership candidate Patrick Brown, the preferred candidate of the pro-Beijing astroturf Chinese Canadian Conservative Association. The CCCA desperately wanted Erin O’Toole gone owing to his principled stand on Beijing’s long reach into Canadian political life, and they wanted Brown to replace him owing to Brown’s skeezy standpoints on such matters as the Conservatives’ own proposed Foreign Influence Registry.
To be perfectly honest, I still can’t tell whether Pierre Poilievre’s party will be welcoming to Conservatives disposed to the worldview of O’Toole and Michael Chong, or Conservatives more inclined to tolerate the unsavory dispositions of the Charest-Brown variety.
Anyway, in the Fife-Chase account of the contents of that CSIS report that made reference to certain unnamed Conservative MPs (one of whom turned out to be Chong) there was reference to a certain small English-language magazine that (how to put this?) perhaps isn’t always quite as up-front as you’d expect it to be.

Ottawa Life​

Far be it from me to suggest that Dan Donovan’s Ottawa Life magazine is the media operation the CSIS report refers to, and to be honest it could have been one of a handful of “magazines” I could think of. But let’s be honest here. Some “journalists” are happy to carry Beijing’s water for free. By extraordinary coincidence, our friends over at Blacklocks Reporter had an amusing little piece this past week about Ottawa Life, the very magazine I was referring to when this series began.
“No, this was not a paid ad,” Donovan told Blacklocks, in reference to a puff piece that appeared in the magazine written by none other than Chinese ambassador Cong Peiwu. “Like most magazine publications, if we are approached to publish an op-ed we make a determination and then decide to run it or not.”
Okay, but Ottawa Life is not like most magazines, even though it fits the profile of those ubiquitous urban lifestyle mags that clutter the media landscape (some of which aren’t that bad, to be honest, so sorry about that). Styling itself as “savvy, smart and stylish” and “the intelligent, illustrious and iconic voice of Canada's most beautiful and influential city,” Donovan’s Ottawa Life has published so many sweet essays by Chinese ambassadors over the years I lost count trying to add them up.
Here’s Donovan meeting with Congwhen the new ambassador took up his posting during Beijing’s imprisonment of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor. Cong “greets me with a warm smile and a firm handshake,” Donovan is happy to report. “He is dressed in a sharp looking business suit and tie. . . He is friendly with a pleasant demeanor, courteous to a fault, and enthusiastic about being back in Canada.”
Lovely.
Here’s Dan Donovan being angry with Canadian journalists and academics who prefer not to slobber on Cong’s slippers: Canada’s approach to China is based on misguided superiority complex and bad reporting. You think this month’s Real Story series is a tad long? Ottawa Life has been running a formal series of encomia to Beijing’s benefit, titled China Explained, that stretches all the way back to 2013.
When you get through this newsletter one of the links you might want to click is this New York Times investigation of Beijing’s elaborate social-media propaganda network. Among the “influencers” profiled by the Times is the insipid Cyrus Janssen, whose routine complaint is that “Western media is always attacking China.”
In Ottawa Life magazine, Janssen shows up only as as “one of North America’s leading experts on China and Chinese marketing.” I bet he is.

How to get your name in media rolodexes as a China expert.​

Straight away I should declare what you might call an apprehension of my own bias. The main “expert” in what follows has called me “a retard.”
This all started five years ago, when I suggested to my bosses at the Ottawa Citizen and the National Post that maybe we should be careful about who we were allowing to appear in the opinion pages as independent “experts” on Canada-China relations. At the very least, these “experts” should be obliged to disclose their interests, like, say, that they are in fact lobbyists working on public-relations contracts with the Toronto consulate of the People’s Republic of China.
This set off quite a stir and ended up the subject of a months-long investigation undertaken by Ian Young at the South China Morning Post, who has recently decamped to the Canadian Press bureau in Vancouver. Although barely noticed in Canada at the time (as was usually the case with Young’s scoops about China-related scandals in this country), Young’s investigation revealed an operation that “blurred the lines” between lobbying, journalism and activism.
The registered lobbying firm in question is Solstice Public Affairs (this gets around to the Conservative Party; be patient), whose principals “have attacked critics [i.e. I’m a ‘retard’] and propelled viewpoints that often hew to Beijing’s talking points and interests on a range of subjects.”
In the middle of all this is something called the Canadian Chinese Political Affairs Committee and its co-founder, a certain Karen Woods, whose engagement with Solstice, which had secured a weird and unheard-of type of contract with the Toronto’s Chinese consulate, initially piqued my curiosity.
The strange Consulate-Solstice-CCPAC triangle with Woods in the middle of it all was also noticed by Kevin Carrico, senior research fellow in Chinese studies at Monash University.
Especially after the December, 2018 detention of Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou and Beijing’s capricious abduction of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, Woods started showing up on CBC chat shows and in places like the Toronto Star with opinions “that essentially recycle PRC government talking points,” Carrico said, and Woods “presents them as having been published by just an interested citizen.”
I pointed this out first to my long-suffering and extraordinarily patient editor Christina Spencer at the Ottawa Citizen, and also to Kevin Libin at the National Post. Also, a Solstice principal had written a very odd opinion piece in the Citizen that had caused my bullsh*t detector to start clanging (yes, this brings us to the Conservative Party angle, which I’m coming to).
Around that time a friend at the Toronto Star who knows a thing or two about these things called me to say he was furious about a piece that had shown up in his own newspaper’s opinion pages.
It was published just after the Meng’s detention. Headlined Huawei Crisis has Chinese-Canadians Worried, the op-ed was shameless: “Many from the Chinese business community who donate to the Liberal party feel their interests are betrayed by Justin Trudeau. They feel Trudeau has been blindsided by Trump and merely acted as his lickspittle.”
The author of the piece was identified this way: "Karen Woods is the co-founder of the Canadian Chinese Political Affairs Committee (CCPAC) and a “senior associate” at the firm Solstice Public Affairs. The editors were clearly unaware that Solstice had been hired by China's Toronto consulate "to arrange meetings with MPs and Senators in order to “promote various economic and cultural relations” between the two countries.
My Toronto Star friend managed to convince the editors to amend Woods’ identity at the bottom of the piece to mention her unmentioned association with the Solstice consulate contract: “This article was updated from a previous version to make clear that Solstice Public Affairs was recently hired by the Chinese Consulate-General in Toronto.”
Some time later Woods showed up as the co-author of a piece in the National Post styled as an open letter from the CCPAC to “Uncle Xi” Jinping. Editor Kevin Libin took pains to ensure that Woods was at least properly identified, although there was something less than forthrightness in her account of herself, as Young makes plain in his SCMP investigation.
Woods told Libin that she’d never worked on the Toronto consulate lobbying contract. But her boss at Solstice, longtime Liberal Party functionary (!) Craig Brockwell, said that yes, Woods did public-relations work for the Chinese consulate, except on provincial rather than federal matters. Woods definitely saw the op-ed placement as a win. On Twitter, Woods had this to say about me the day the piece appeared in the Post: “What better way to get back at him than by publishing in his paper?”
To the consternation of Canada’s persecuted Chinese diaspora activists, Woods is still being treated like some sort of expert. Whatever her game is, she’s no expert in anything except her self-described skills as a “social media influencer.”
Now, as I’ve mentioned, the crew of Canadian journalists working on the China file was until quite recently a very, very small town. Quite a few journalists who have never been on the beat in any way and have no friends or contacts in the Chinese diaspora are trying to figure out what the hell is going on. And some journalists are failing at that effort because they’re not even trying.
You can decide where to place Stephen Maher in all this. I won’t disparage him. He’s new to the parish, after a manner of speaking.
Real Story subscribers may recall my account of the debacle at Maclean’s magazine, where until a bit better than a year ago I was a contributing editor. After the new owners turned the venerable title in a kind of Celebrity Cooking affair, or a slightly more upscale version of Ottawa Life, I found myself among the defenestrated along with Macleans editor-in-chief Alison Uncles, star columnist Paul Wells, staff writers Jason Markusoff & Marie-Danielle Smith, brainiac Philippe J. Fournier, deputy editor Colin Campbell, national editor Charlie Gillis, Ottawa bureau chief Shannon Proudfoot and the great John Geddes.
Anyway, Stephen Maher appears to have been kept on in some capacity, although apparently he now covers China-related subjects for Walrus magazine, which published this not-especially-insightful piece on Chinese election interference, which was re-published by the Centre for International Governance Innovation here, which cites and quotes the expert. . . wait for it. . . Karen Woods.
Far be it from me to suggest Woods is involved in one of Beijing’s destabilization operations, of the type we’ve seen in the Sheng Xue case. These things are sometimes a devil to unravel.
I’m just saying.

How the Conservative Party figures into all this​

The op-ed in the Ottawa Citizen that had already set my alarms off before Karen Woods’ undisclosed bona fides first came to my attention was a strikingly peculiar piece headlined Disproportionate funding goes to media outlet linked to Falun Gong.
It was essentially a data-heavy complaint that Tang Dynasty TV (NTDTV), which was founded by members of Falun Gong - a brutally-persecuted religious sect in China - was getting a disproportionate ethnic-media piece of the money pie carved up by the Canadian Media Fund. Which is perfectly understandable, really, given that most of Canada’s Chinese-language media was taken over by Beijing-aligned money years before. Taxpayers should pay for that?
The piece was written by a certain Stewart Kiff, identified as a former reporter with “more than 25 years’ experience in public affairs” who also happened to be president of something called Solstice Public Affairs. Craig Brockwell, the point man on the Solstice contract with China’s Toronto consulate, told the South China Morning Post that Kiff’s Ottawa Citizen op-ed was not in service of the consulate, but was rather an exercise in “client development” that pre-dated the contract by a few months.
Seems it was succcessful exercise, too.
Subscribers may recall from back in March a Real Story deep dive into the destabilization operation the Beijing-aligned Mandarin bloc was running on the Conservative Party and the target Beijing put on Erin O’Toole’s back, in Beijing’s Best Canadian Friends, Part Etcetera, under the sub-heading Why was Beijing so desperate and determined to see the Conservatives lose? The column version was this one: Beijing simply could not abide Erin O'Toole's tough-on-China policies.
Globe and Mail readers will recall this blockbuster, a couple of months later, in which Fife and Chase report: In late 2020, CSIS said China’s diplomats in Canada attempted to build inroads with members of the Conservative Party, “likely in an effort to engage with and steer away individuals from what the mission perceives to be anti-PRC portions of the Conservative Party’s platform.
From the Real Story’s Beijing’s Best Canadian Friends edition you may remember Bert Chen, the Conservative Party National Council coup plotter who was turfed for getting up that petition calling for O’Toole’s ouster in the days following the 2021 election.
The guy whose CV was missing the bit about his stint with the firm Golden Gate Lawyers in Beijing on behalf of the Chinese National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) in its $15.1 billion takeover of the Calgary oil and gas company Nexen Inc.
The guy who told me the Conservative Party should shut its cakehole about China, and also went out of his way to tell me - before Beijing’s target on Michael Chong’s back was front-page news - that Michael Chong’s problems shouldn’t be the Conservative Party’s problems.
Well, Bert Chen had to be replaced by somebody, right? And Bert Chen has been replaced by. . . Stewart Kiff, of Solstice Public Affairs.
“Kiff was mysteriously acclaimed as the only replacement candidate from Ontario,” say some disaffected Conservatives, “thereby earning a seat on the Party’s most powerful board, despite having been democratically rejected just 11 months earlier by grassroots card-carrying Party members.”
Those disaffected Conservatives are not happy with this, and they’re now out and about with it, here.
I wouldn’t refer to Stewart Kiff as the party’s “unelected Manchurian candidate.” Maybe not a scoundrel, exactly, pretty skeezy though, and it all makes you wonder whether a Poilievre government would be more to the tastes of Jean Charest and Patrick Brown Conservatives, as opposed to Michael Chong and Erin O’Toole Conservatives.
Onward.

Is Singh growing a spine?

Like they say on ‘Survivor:’ - getting on the right side of the vote.

Singh is certainly smart enough to know when something’s is going to cost him votes down the road.

Luxury!

I'm pretty sure the people that taught me French in rural SE PEI couldn't carry a conversation with a Quebecer en francais... As a child, why learn a language that only exists in any number in two provinces?

As an adult, I realized that it's the difference between being promoted, and watching people less capable getting promoted.
That story won’t be popular but it reflect the other side of the reality.

I met a MWO from Edmonton a couples of years ago. He was bitching about the promotion being liked to language, never had the chance to talk in French even if a quarter of if troop were Franco. « They knew how to speech English, so why should he speech French (with a face that was saying a lot more). Most of us just shut up... Couples of days later he bragged that in Afghanistan, he made a point of honour to be able to have minimal pastcho for the LN. This is when I told him that for Afghanies it was ok but not for the 1/4 of is subordinate from the same Canada! I call that leadership. Then, another MWO, a PPCLI looked at him and said something like “ shut up, you just buried your self where you belong. And we change subject.

I really understand your frustration to be forced tu learn it. The test is horrible, the level is to high and does not reflect at all the reality of basic conversation. It does not provide an excuse to not be able to at least say Bonjour, comment ça va? and to understand a basic answers.

I've tried to do basic phrases and such, most of the francos just switch to english to make it easier and I just get frustrated. I know I know that I should insist on practicing. But I can see the frustrations on their face as well.

I maintain that if we were serious that the last place for a language school should be St Jean. Being 15 min from Montreal or 15 minutes from New York or Vermont doesn't make you learn (especially when you are fresh out of basic and rip raring to go on your career training.) They should have sent us all to the Lac St Jean region to live with families and work as labourers. No English TV or Radio and the locals ability in English is extremely limited. Would we learn the French to pass our Public Service Test? Not on your life, but we would have been be able converse with our franco subordinates.

I've tried to do basic phrases and such, most of the francos just switch to english to make it easier and I just get frustrated. I know I know that I should insist on practicing. But I can see the frustrations on their face as well.

I maintain that if we were serious that the last place for a language school should be St Jean. Being 15 min from Montreal or 15 minutes from New York or Vermont doesn't make you learn (especially when you are fresh out of basic and rip raring to go on your career training.) They should have sent us all to the Lac St Jean region to live with families and work as labourers. No English TV or Radio and the locals ability in English is extremely limited. Would we learn the French to pass our Public Service Test? Not on your life, but we would have been be able converse with our franco subordinates.
Most of the Franco will welcome the basic sentences. Yes we will turn to English because it’s easier and unders It’s harder for you guys. The efforts worth everything, mostly for the subordinates.

My English training was done in Saint-Jean, never past above B in conversational on the PS test and spoke English daily. I’m with you on that test non sense at 110%

That story won’t be popular but it reflect the other side of the reality.

I met a MWO from Edmonton a couples of years ago. He was bitching about the promotion being liked to language, never had the chance to talk in French even if a quarter of if troop were Franco. « They knew how to speech English, so why should he speech French (with a face that was saying a lot more). Most of us just shut up... Couples of days later he bragged that in Afghanistan, he made a point of honour to be able to have minimal pastcho for the LN. This is when I told him that for Afghanies it was ok but not for the 1/4 of is subordinate from the same Canada! I call that leadership. Then, another MWO, a PPCLI looked at him and said something like “ shut up, you just buried your self where you belong. And we change subject.

I really understand your frustration to be forced tu learn it. The test is horrible, the level is to high and does not reflect at all the reality of basic conversation. It does not provide an excuse to not be able to at least say Bonjour, comment ça va? and to understand a basic answers.
There are people who refuse to try, but they are the exception. I'm sure if the CAF offered every person MCpl-Maj the opportunity to do second language training, most would jump at it.

I'm not frustrated that I need to learn French, I enjoyed the one opportunity I have had to actually get a few weeks of training. I'm frustrated that it's a requirement to advance, yet isn't seriously offered to most. Allies French was so bad last time I tried it that I felt like I lost what little French I had learned previously. Even the material for PL1 was horrible, if I was slightly more cynical about the government, I'd say it was intentionally made frustrating and difficult.

My point though, was that people who grow up in a bilingual home, because their parents are bilingual(Toronto, Ottawa-Montreal largely), are more likely to succeed in Government/federally regulated businesses. Most of Canada is not bilingual, so the kid from Lac St-Jean is pretty much as disadvantaged as the kid from Guelph, or Kelowna. The government whether intentionally or not has created a "ruling" class, and an underclass.

Back