• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CIA director David Petraeus resigns citing extramarital affair.

All over the news now. Didn't see that one coming.

Get ready for the wild and the really wild theories to start to fly.

Funny, 50 years ago this was considered a sound trait of leadership.

I think that, aside from the United States, it still is....

Old Sweat said:
Get ready for the wild and the really wild theories to start to fly.

My initial thoughts on the subject.  ;)

Just announced . .  he will NOT be participating in the Benghazi Inquiry and will NOT testify under oath.

Two questions for those that may know:

First, is adultery still an offense under the UCMJ?

Second, if the affair took place while he was still in the army, could he be tried for said offenses after being retired?

Haletown said:
Just announced . .  he will NOT be participating in the Benghazi Inquiry and will NOT testify under oath.
Affair happened while he was in the army, and he's announcing and resigning now?  The things that make you go "mmmmmm". :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Haletown said:

For the greater good  ;D

I believe he can be issued with a court order to appear and testify.

Spanky said:
Affair happened while he was in the army, and he's announcing and resigning now?  The things that make you go "mmmmmm". :Tin-Foil-Hat:

My take.  After a lifetime of supporting him through deployments, missions, late nights etc etc his wife likely gave him an ultimatum after finding out or being told.  The compromise was to wait until after the election to resign.  Nothing nefarious or conspiracy like.  Just a hurt wife and husband choosing to try and fix the mess he created.

Crantor said:
My take.  After a lifetime of supporting him through deployments, missions, late nights etc etc his wife likely gave him an ultimatum after finding out or being told.  The compromise was to wait until after the election to resign.  Nothing nefarious or conspiracy like.  Just a hurt wife and husband choosing to try and fix the mess he created.
Probably, but nefarious is so much more interesting.

The other thing that gets me is, why do things you do in the privacy of your own home (or the home of someone else  ;) ) behind closed doors, dictate whether you keep your job or not?

When people say "I'm resigning because I got caught cheating on my spouse" it stinks of other controversial wrong-doing, other than something like an affair that holds no penalty to one's employment.

Spanky said:
Probably, but nefarious is so much more interesting.

Well, we could try and link it somehow to range control. I wouldn't be surprised if those guys had a hand in all of this.  >:D

PrairieThunder said:
The other thing that gets me is, why do things you do in the privacy of your own home (or the home of someone else  ;) ) behind closed doors, dictate whether you keep your job or not?
Ethics
Integrity
Honour.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Ethics
Integrity
Honour.

I understand that part, but if it's not hurting anyone except for your other relationship, and isn't affecting how you perform your duties; who is to say that because you have (had) an affair that you can't work anymore?

For a private I'm sure it's not a big deal. For someone responsible for thousands of lives and national interests lying denotes a character flaw.
If he lied to his wife about their marriage what's to stop him from telling a little white lie about something else? Or a little cover up?

He gets the big bucks
He gets the nice parking spot
He gets to live under a microscope

Back