• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civil Servants Often Work for Administrations They Disagree with Politically. How Does This Affect Their Job Performance?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
No surprise, really, but something for senior leaders in the civil service to watch out for and prevent in some way...

.... oh, wait ;)

“The authors examined the data for a potential explanation. Perhaps politically misaligned bureaucrats were put in charge of more complex contracts, which would be harder to keep on-budget. Or perhaps bureaucrats felt less incentivized to seek promotions and thus didn’t work above and beyond what was expected of them during administrations they didn’t agree with politically. But after analyzing the data, Teso says, “we don’t find that that’s the case.”

Instead, the authors believe that a “morale effect” may be to blame for the lower performance of these civil servants. They looked at the results of the Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey between 2006 and 2019, which measured how much bureaucrats agreed with statements like “The work I do is important” and “I’m willing to put in the extra effort to get a job done.” When the bureaucrats were aligned with the politics of the administration, their agreement with these statements rose significantly.”

“That’s kind of suggestive of what may be going on, that these procurement officers are less motivated to perform well when they feel they’re not aligned with the mission of the organization,” Teso says.

Civil Servants Often Work for Administrations They Disagree with Politically. How Does This Affect Their Job…

I worked for 4 PM's I disagreed with all 4 at some point and liked some things from 3 of them, the current PM, I have yet to find anything remarkable that he has done, other than spend money like crazy. If you have a career in the Federal or Provincial government, you better suck it up as far as working for someone you don't agree with. Most people i knew got that, a few didn't.

Just take the same approach as Ron Swanson when it comes to government work.
th

I worked for 4 PM's I disagreed with all 4 at some point and liked some things from 3 of them, the current PM, I have yet to find anything remarkable that he has done, other than spend money like crazy.
I worked for four Metro Chairmen, and two mayors. Never met one I didn't like.

Thankfully, my career was free of party politics.

Too much Team Red vs Team Blue hate.

I guess it's sort of entertaining on an internet forum, after you retire.

But, not so much with a working partner you are cooped up with 40 hours a week.

To paraphrase Mayor LaGuardia, There is no Liberal or Conservative way to fix a sewer. :)

If that's true, it's difficult to explain the politics and issues that consume major cities.

If that's true, it's difficult to explain the politics and issues that consume major cities.
Our working environment was pretty stress-free as far as party politics were concerned.

As a Federal regulator I found Municipalities the worse for evading regs and overstepping their boundaries. Hypocrisy is telling the Feds that our requirements are to difficult and they should be getting an exemption, while at the same time grinding their own citizens on petty regulations and offering no relief.

As a Federal regulator I found Municipalities the worse for evading regs and overstepping their boundaries.

We gave the taxpayers the best service we could.

Which I believe is the subject of this thread?

Civil Servants Often Work for Administrations They Disagree with Politically. How Does This Affect Their Job Performance?

Back