• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilain Employment in Kandahar

xo31@711ret

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this under the wrong forum. I tried the search function but came up blank. I retired a couple of years ago after 24+ years (I'm 44 now). last month I was on 'vacation' ( can't call it leave no more for me I guess, but we were on niner domestics wife's leave period) in northern NB. Long story short, I took a day trip to Gagetown where I did my release to see some friends and check out the area (been a few changes just in two years!). Anyway, I stopped in to visit my old neighbour who's x-infantry from way back. He just returned from the sand box working as a civvie in Kandahar. He said it was a good go; but others I have talked to said they had a 'friend there who said it was too much work etc'  ::). ...so I'm apt to believe my old neighbour. My neighbour was to email a couple of companies under DND contract for work there (eg; labourer, kitchen staff, ID's,etc). I've sent him a couple of emails since I've been back, but haven't heard anything from him. Did a search on google and came up with one company, Lavelin. Anyone have any other info; advice; etc. Niner's good to go with my possible plan.
My relatives (the civilian side anyway) think I'm nuts, even though I've told them I wouldn't be outside the wire and be safer on big camp such as Kandahar with beaucoup troops; but unless they were in uniform, they don't understand...that's another thread.

Thanks in advance troops for any info / advice.

-gerry

x031@711ret

Heard the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires was being hired to work on the airfield, you could try them.

SNC Lavalin is one of the big contractors there - they work in supply, construction, transport, wearhousing, etc.

PSP/CFPSA operates things like Timmies and and Canex and HLTA booking, the gym, etc.

I have an interview for a PSP position. Its the only way I'll be heading to Afghanistan as I'm a CIC officer and my trade isn't deployable.

Thanks for the quick replies troops!

Heard the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires was being hired to work on the airfield, you could try them.

I heard of the corps doing that. But I'm up here in Sept-Iles Que (niner's an Acadian from NB who's on her last posting here). I'm a 'square-head'  ;) - anglo speaking only; so the option of joining the corps (or any other civilain work) is nil.

This may seem like a dumb question, but; can a serving member (PRes) apply for a civilian job in KAF, going through civilian channels, and deploy as a civilian? or is this a conflict of interests?

Moved this to logistics,........wasn't sure where it would fit in, but I know its not "Radio Chatter".

Bruce

RHFC_piper said:
This may seem like a dumb question, but; can a serving member (PRes) apply for a civilian job in KAF, going through civilian channels, and deploy as a civilian? or is this a conflict of interests?
My barrack-room lawyer answer is "no problem".  After all, as a reservist, you're only subject to NDA on certain occasions, and that's fine, but if I recall, civilians in KAF are also subject to NDA and all that.  I'd say "go for it".

You are right ^, civilians are subject to the NDA and CSD as they sign something as such.

As a CIC officer, I would have to go on EDT with my home unit to serve over there.

x031,
Did you try their web site (http://www.snc-lavalin.com/) and do a search on "Afghanistan" or "Career Opportunities".
Good luck

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
My barrack-room lawyer answer is "no problem".  After all, as a reservist, you're only subject to NDA on certain occasions, and that's fine, but if I recall, civilians in KAF are also subject to NDA and all that.  I'd say "go for it".
Catalyst said:
You are right ^, civilians are subject to the NDA and CSD as they sign something as such.

As a CIC officer, I would have to go on EDT with my home unit to serve over there.

I kinda figured the laws of the land (NDA/CSD) would still apply... That shouldn't be a problem though.

As for ED&T; yeah... kinda thought that would be the case as well.  It would be the same as if I was going abroad to work or study... which leads me to my next question; what about the CF policy regarding travel to "listed/scheduled" countries?  Is this policy negated because it is employment for and Canadian Government agency, or is there still a lot of bureaucracy to muddle through?

When I think about this more, this seems like a good opportunity to get back over there...  (especially since I really can't otherwise deploy).

RHFC_piper said:

When I was a PRes MSE Op I had a Sgt take a civilian job in Bosnia and and another in the sand box few years later. There is no conflict of interest for the Sgt.

On a different note: Some of us Reg MSE guys take local civilian "week-end" jobs with Long Hauls all the time.

Greetings Everyone
Just like to hear from anyone who is working the Sandbox for any of the civilian contractors at KAF or elsewhere. Thinking of working for SNC-Lavalin. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
biobob :salute: 

I'm interested in working in the water purification plants over there, I'm completely qualified, but hitting a brick wall as to to where to send my CV.  Any inside dirt?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Beueller?

Kat Stevens said:
I'm interested in working in the water purification plants over there, I'm completely qualified, but hitting a brick wall as to to where to send my CV.  Any inside dirt?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Beueller?

Greetings
Send your CV to SNC-Lavalin, Canadian company, hears the link......

http://www.snclavalin.com/index.php?lang=en

Or you can send your CV to this American company KBR

http://www.kbr.com/

Biobob(Groundpounder)

I would love to instruct ROWPU and AWS, unfortunately the government of the day decided to pick up the school and move it to the wrong coast. Being as I'm a confirmed gun shootin', whiskey drinkin', 4X4 drivin' westerner, I'm afraid it just wouldn't work out for any of us.

Biobob, cheers for the links!

Well looks like we might be running a course with only 2 instructors.........

The third guy is (probably) going to DART as backfill......

I might be interested in a short term contract, just to help out, you know.  8)

Back