• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian employment

Just_A_Guy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going to study engineering in university, and am looking at some possible army careers after I graduate. Artillery officer is one a career that I wish to pursue, but I do have some questions about civilian employment after my military service ends.
1. How long is an artillery officers service?
2. What's civilian employment like for an artillery officer?
3. Are military officers preferred by private employers?
4. Is training apart of your service time?
Thank you for helping.

1.  Depends on your entry scheme.
2.  Probably not great in terms of directly transferrable skills - how many civ employers blow things up with big guns?  However, depending on how your career goes, the management skills may help in future careers.
3.  Sometimes.
4.  Yes - I don't believe Arty (or most Army) trades have a restricted release period after completion of training.

Depending where you are, it might be worth checking out a local reserve Arty regiment.  Depending what type of engineering you're studying, there are a bunch of different types of engineering officers (Army, Navy and Air Force) that might interest you as well.

Dimsum said:
1.  Depends on your entry scheme.
2.  Probably not great in terms of directly transferrable skills - how many civ employers blow things up with big guns?  However, depending on how your career goes, the management skills may help in future careers.
3.  Sometimes.
4.  Yes - I don't believe Arty (or most Army) trades have a restricted release period after completion of training.

Depending where you are, it might be worth checking out a local reserve Arty regiment.  Depending what type of engineering you're studying, there are a bunch of different types of engineering officers (Army, Navy and Air Force) that might interest you as well.

Thanks, in the case of transferable skills, I've decided that Signals and some sort of engineering officer would be a good choice to get into engineering after my military career

Just_A_Guy said:
Thanks, in the case of transferable skills, I've decided that Signals and some sort of engineering officer would be a good choice to get into engineering after my military career

The Navy and Air Force have engineers of various types too... just sayin'  :nod:

Just_A_Guy said:

What type of engineering do you want to pursue?

Back