• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Paramedic Re-enrolling In the Reserves

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a civilian paramedic at the Intermediate Care Paramedic level (Nova Scotia). I am going through the process of re-enrolling in the Reserves. What QL will that give me when I am finally enrolled? Before I left in 2003, they weren't exactly sure what they were going to do with me.

What were you before, at what trade level and rank?   More details if you want an answer.

I can assume you were R711?

I enrolled in 2001 as a MED A. When I left (due to civilian employment) in 2003, they still didn't know what to do with me. I was at the same civilian qualification that I am at now. After two years, I left as a Private QL2 (in limbo).

The reason that I ask, is that there is an infantry unit 20 minutes from me, and the closest Fd Amb is almost 2 hours away. I am trying to decide what would be the better options for me. By sounds of things, it might just be easier to join the infantry.

I am a paramedic with 12 years experience in a couple of urban environments, paramedic instructor/facilitator and field preceptor. I would like to make the best contribution I can. I would hate to see that experience go to waste. Not that I am unwilling to be an infanteer; BRING IT ON!!!

nsmedicman said:
I enrolled in 2001 as a MED A. When I left (due to civilian employment) in 2003, they still didn't know what to do with me. I was at the same civilian qualification that I am at now. After two years, I left as a Private QL2 (in limbo).

The reason that I ask, is that there is an infantry unit 20 minutes from me, and the closest Fd Amb is almost 2 hours away. I am trying to decide what would be the better options for me. By sounds of things, it might just be easier to join the infantry.

I am a paramedic with 12 years experience in a couple of urban environments, paramedic instructor/facilitator and field preceptor. I would like to make the best contribution I can. I would hate to see that experience go to waste. Not that I am unwilling to be an infanteer; BRING IT ON!!!

Infantry units do have Med As who belong to Med Coys.  Ask the Infantry unit if they have a Med A position.

I already have. The local infantry unit does not have any MED TECH positions. I would have to join the Fd Amb (2 hours away), and hope that they would attach me to the infantry unit.

All medics are managed by the field Amb. You should be able to parade with the Infantry but your maintenance of competency and courses would be managed by your home unit (The Fd Amb).
I know that any reserve Fd Amb would value your skill set but the choice is up to you.

I am the Clinical Training O at my unit. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

GF

Thanks RN PRN. Not to sound egotistical, but I feel that I would be an asset to both the Fd Amb and Infantry units. Any other suggestions?

I don't have any problems commuting to the Fd Amb to maintain my skills and participate in any training, but not really willing to travel two hours each way on a Thursday night.

That is why CFHSG has put the waiver that a member can parade with a non-medical unit if the geographical conditions are such that make parading with the home unit problematic.

Get in touch with the Fd Amb and have a talk. I am certain that they will have no problems.

Personally I have medics out with an armoured recce unit and some more probably out with the guns. 12 Fd Amb has two Nur Os with the armour in the BC interior. It has happend in the past and can for you. I am also confident that the Infantry in you local area would be more that happy to have a medic with them.

Good luck and again if you have any questions give me a shout.

GF

Back