• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Claim against the crown for stolen property

horatio749

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright so let's say a certain mbr was on a certain task force and had a certain personal item, let's say a Canada flag.
A mbr from the CP approached the mbr about borrowing said Canada Flag so they could have one to lend to the mayor in the certain foreign city they were in.
The mbr is naturally "promised" he will get his flag back.

Naturally, the troop gets screwed and the COC "donate" the flag to the mayors office with no intention of compensation to the mbr.

Is there anything the mbr can do to get reimbursement? Even a new Flag?

I've been told that sending a letter to the canadian consulate of that country might work or that there's some form of claim the mbr can fill out.

Clearly the first mistake was allowing it to go in the first place but as that mbr I was proud to have that flag on display and flying. Just a little miffed how it was given away without even asking.

Thanks guys
Horatio749

Welcome to "Diplomacy 101".  What's your's is mine and what's mine is mine and what you wish to lend me, becomes mine.

Flags are a dime a dozen and can be had pretty much anywhere, so come on now, it's not the cost!  YES, we do value our Flag, so I am not minimizing this in any way and that shouldn't be taken lightly.  But I would probably say, that you were not exactly in a position to make an "official" gesture of such nature and it was taken upon yourself or your group.

So rather than take it as an offence that you didn't get the flag back, why not turn the tables and send them a letter (if you can) and say something along the lines of, I know I/we had asked/wanted our Flag to be returned but I/we would like you to keep it with the compliments of XXXXX and the people of Canada, blah blah blah.

Just curious...but in what way was the 'crown' involved in this transaction? Your claim would be against the person who asked for the flag.

Talk to your supply section.  There is actually a process for giving away flags (although it usually applies to grieving widows). In short, they should be able to order and issue a replacement flag for you. You will need to engage the chain of command to certify that the events unfolded as you described them.  I'm sure no one meant to "steal" your flag from you.  Of course, I'm assuming the flag really was yours and not one that you "liberated" in the first place.

DAA said:
Flags are a dime a dozen and can be had pretty much anywhere, so come on now, it's not the cost!  YES, we do value our Flag, so I am not minimizing this in any way and that shouldn't be taken lightly.  But I would probably say, that you were not exactly in a position to make an "official" gesture of such nature and it was taken upon yourself or your group.

Your right about the costs. It was more about principal on the ground when it happend. I had someone hand carry that flag over there for me and flew it out in our FOB so there was a certain amount of sentimental value in it.
In ref to being in a posn to do so, It was all organized by the TF DCO. How my flag got wrapped into it was, the mbr from the CP came over and requested a flag from supply to which we had none. Then my Sgt mentioned I had one so, I was approached.

Pusser said:
Of course, I'm assuming the flag really was yours and not one that you "liberated" in the first place.
Ha ha, no. I do know of a number of flags that were "liberated" but this was actually a purchased one.

I will check with the CQ an see what we can come up with.

Back