• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Climate disasters will be part of defence update as strains grow, minister says

Only when on the Kings dime, no ? If a reservist is not on duty they are not held to the CSD, correct ?

Standing by to be corrected.

Technically.

But you just try and get some of those (stoopid) online mandatory tests done 'on the company dime'.

A huge amount of work in the ARes gets done well outside of parade hours at the armoury etc, largely unrecognized of course ;)

I'm no legal egal isn't that really just a bunch of ways to say on duty ?

Again, just a clarifying question, no debate intended.
Yes, but...

Arguably, a reservist working as a DND public servant is subject to the CSD when at work at a DND facility, or when visiting Parliament Hill when the changing of if the guard occurs, when traveling to and from a parade night in uniform...

Whether or not local JAG would recommend proceeding with a summary hearing or a court martial in one of those instances is another, different conversation.

Yes, but...

Arguably, a reservist working as a DND public servant is subject to the CSD when at work at a DND facility, or when visiting Parliament Hill when the changing of if the guard occurs, when traveling to and from a parade night in uniform...

Whether or not local JAG would recommend proceeding with a summary hearing or a court martial in one of those instances is another, different conversation.
What I was alluding to was that a Class A reservist can sit on their thumb waiting for a plumb B or C posting to arrive and then decide if they like the terms. And if it looks like orders are coming their way that they don't like there isn't much to stop a voluntary release.

Meanwhile the contracted reg clicks their heels.

If the forces are looking for people to fly jets they could probably find a lot of willing regs...but they have all been ordered to ride a desk in Ottawa or Goose Bay. Meanwhile that empty cockpit sits there beckoning a civilian looking for the opportunity.

I know the desk job is critical but it doesn't match up with advertisements.

A degree and 3 years of training gets you a few hundred hours in a Hornet and a lifetime riding desks.

What I was alluding to was that a Class A reservist can sit on their thumb waiting for a plumb B or C posting to arrive and then decide if they like the terms. And if it looks like orders are coming their way that they don't like there isn't much to stop a voluntary release.

Or, when unit leadership is crappy, they go to minimum parading to avoid NES while waiting for the guard to change when they magically 'find more time' and reappear ;)

There’s an excellent interview with a fire chief from red deer going on CBC right now. In a minutes he’s made two critical points:

1. Joint Emergency Preparedness Program grant was cancelled in 2013, cost sharing model between three levels of government to off set specialized equipment. He pointed out 50% of fire departments deferred buying equipment last year.

2. There is no national seat at the table for fire services to be part of a national planning cycle. To be that’s outrageous.

When asked what the role the CAF has to play “they do a great job when they come in, but with the deepest respect they aren’t fire fighters.”

There’s an excellent interview with a fire chief from red deer going on CBC right now. In a minutes he’s made two critical points:

1. Joint Emergency Preparedness Program grant was cancelled in 2013, cost sharing model between three levels of government to off set specialized equipment. He pointed out 50% of fire departments deferred buying equipment last year.

2. There is no national seat at the table for fire services to be part of a national planning cycle. To be that’s outrageous.

When asked what the role the CAF has to play “they do a great job when they come in, but with the deepest respect they aren’t fire fighters.”

From the municipal POV fire services are a municipal responsibility, paid for out of local taxes.

Wildland Fire Fighters are a Provincial responsibility, paid for out of provincial taxes.

If the Feds want them at the table, let them pay for it ;)

From the municipal POV fire services are a municipal responsibility, paid for out of local taxes.

Wildland Fire Fighters are a Provincial responsibility, paid for out of provincial taxes.

If the Feds want them at the table, let them pay for it ;)
Ah what you’re missing is that the association of fire chiefs, whom this fella represents as president, wants to be at the table nationally. So they can have a national plan for these thing. JEPP allowed a pot of money from the feds to be accessed by municipal and provincial services to buy kit. Now they don’t have that, fires are worse, and we keep getting called out.

Ah what you’re missing is that the association of fire chiefs, whom this fella represents as president, wants to be at the table nationally. So they can have a national plan for these thing. JEPP allowed a pot of money from the feds to be accessed by municipal and provincial services to buy kit. Now they don’t have that, fires are worse, and we keep getting called out.

The CAF wouldn't be called out if the Provinces hired enough Wildland Fire Fighters, most of the time.

If, as in 2017, it looked like they had to evacuate Williams Lake, absolutely the CAF could be deployed to help out with that uniquely challenging situation.

But fire clean up duties? Anyone can do that after some pretty basic training, so why call in the CAF...

The CAF wouldn't be called out if the Provinces hired enough Wildland Fire Fighters, most of the time.

If, as in 2017, it looked like they had to evacuate Williams Lake, absolutely the CAF could be deployed to help out with that uniquely challenging situation.

But fire clean up duties? Anyone can do that after some pretty basic training, so why call in the CAF...
Because the CAF is “free”…

Because organized manual labour is surprisingly hard to find

I'm no legal egal isn't that really just a bunch of ways to say on duty ?

Again, just a clarifying question, no debate intended.
Basically:

On duty (ie being paid at the time)
in a DND facility, building, property, vehicle
in uniform

An example was a time where we had to determine if someone was subject to the CSD as part of an investigation into an incident at a regimental ball. The Ball was at a civy hotel, not a paid event but members were in mess kit.

Not on duty (ie not being paid) not at a DND facility but…in uniform. It was determined that the member was subject to the CSD at the time.

Basically:

On duty (ie being paid at the time)
in a DND facility, building, property, vehicle
in uniform

An example was a time where we had to determine if someone was subject to the CSD as part of an investigation into an incident at a regimental ball. The Ball was at a civy hotel, not a paid event but members were in mess kit.

Not on duty (ie not being paid) not at a DND facility but…in uniform. It was determined that the member was subject to the CSD at the time.
You attend a Community event (charity book fair, let’s say) in an Armoury, in civvies. Subject to the CSD…

Bring back press gangs ?

I moved out west to take up a new position. My boss and mentor had been up on the prairies since 1949. He moved from Stratford, ON to drive trucks at Leduc hauling pipe on trailers with no brakes.

One of the first things he told me about driving out west at that time was that if you got caught in a tailback or traffic jam due to a wildfire you could expect the police to recruit any able-bodied males to assist in fighting the fire.

The Feds want to do just enough to make grand statements and PR events. They will have a pot of money that due to the requirements to apply for it, very little gets used.

The BC Wildfire Act actually has a section that gives fire officials the authority to do just that. Any able bodied person over 19 can be ordered to carry out fire control duties, as long as what they are being ordered to do is within their skill and knowledge ability.

I suspect that there are similar regulations in all the provinces and territories. Definitely in Ontario. In the 1970s, I was driving through Northern Ontario (on my way back to Calgary) when I was stopped at a roadblock and, along with a bunch of others (males between age 18 to 60, according to the regs at the time), was pressganged. Actually, they were going to let me go because I was military (i.e. "person providing essential services"), but I offered to stay. It only delayed me for a day. When I got back to the unit, we were gearing up to move to Kenora in case they needed to evacuate the town (our responsibility would have been the hospital). We sat at two hours notice to move for two days, then stood down. Some of us then went north to the Cold Lake weapons range to fight fires there.

Canadian FEMA... like the US FEMA, but mooching off the provinces and municipalities ;)

Canada to pilot options for national emergency response agency in 2024: Sajjan​

Over the past five months since he took over the emergency preparedness file, Sajjan has spent a lot of time meeting with experts, local community leaders and provincial agencies, he said, in an attempt to identify gaps and seek input on what could work better.

Canada is one of the few G7 countries without a national emergency co-ordinating agency of some kind.

The United States has the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which operates within the Department of Homeland Security.

Germany has the Interministerial Panel on National Crisis Management, which co-ordinates crisis management between states.

Australia, which is not part of the G7 but has shared fire resources with Canada numerous times, has its National Emergency Management Agency.

Sajjan said there are some lessons to be learned from the FEMA model in the U.S., but he seemed more interested in examining the German and Australian agencies. Both of them lean heavily on local and regional resources, and play more of a co-ordinating role.

The minister said he anticipates running some pilot projects in 2024 that would start by building off of existing organizations, like the Search and Rescue Volunteer Association of Canada.

"Because this way we can immediately respond to the emergencies without having to wait for years to build something up to respond," he said.

Back