• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'CLIPINT' and other subcategories of Intelligence

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Instead of hijacking the thread this is from....

milnews.ca said:
Meanwhile, adding to the CLIPINT here, here's a bit more information:  why there's a process in place, as well as a bit more info of the father's situation, courtesy of Canadian Press as of 16 Sept 08 - usual disclaimer and MSM caveats apply:

This is the first Ive seen of this term and it gave me a chuckle.  Any other odd Int-related terms out there that others may not be aware of, and how would you define it?

CLIPINT - definition?
RUMINT - definition?

Others?

Mods - this could potentially be useful, so put it in admin - but if its really off-track, feel free to label as 'radio chatter'...

CLIPINT= the innocuous gathering of information from often minor media sources that provide 5 second audio-visual sound bites and obscure one line quotes from "reliable" sources that have absolutely no contributing factors to society except to provide someone with thier 15 seconds of fame.
?????????
Sound like good BS so far??

RUMNIT= be able to glean reliable long winded stories from minor and multiple workshop rumours.

??????
Getting Better??
BYT extends chuckles.

I made up the term CLIPINT as an abbreviation for CLIPPing INTelligence - it's a little more narrow than OSINT only because it refers to MSM clippings or stories (as opposed to web fora, bulletin boards and other open sources).  Although I like BYT's less generic, more MSM-caveat-based definition better  ;D

RUMINT I've seen used elsewhere on the threads
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24311/post-551112.html#msg551112
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50234/post-528733.html#msg528733
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42807/post-374339.html#msg374339
as an acronym (to my understanding) for RUMour INTelligence.  Again, I chuckle more at BYT's perspicacious summary as well....  ;D

Then there's MOMINT.  For quite a while in the 80s and early 90s, when almost no-one had access to TV on the job (no Internet natch), my mother, an avid watcher of CNN, would phone me with the latest hot poop.

Mark
Ottawa

RUMINT or as our USMC brethren would like to call it SCUTTLEBUTT

It is often the type of conversation at the smoke pits, water coolers, Timmy runs or other forms of gathering where people come together and chat or talk in an informal or formal setting.

The information being delivered are often stories or conversations from others that have a hint of truth to it. Often it is all true, but the operator who decides to utilize the RUMINT must sift through it carefully.

RUMINT confirmations are often utilized in forms of questions to people who are actually in the know.

As much as people like to down play RUMINT, it is my observation that RUMINT is what INT either OSINT or HUMINT or just INT community in general are based on. RUMINT is what kick starts the whole machine.

An example of RUMINT would be Informant A overhears something at the market when he was having lunch. Informant A then decides to take that piece of information and hand it off to HUMINT Operator B. Now when HUMINT Operator B gets the info, he/she will double check it with his or her other sources. Then they pass it on to INT Op C at the next debrief. Then the wheel rolls and rolls and rolls. It all gets kick started with RUMINT :D

BYT Driver said:
CLIPINT= the innocuous gathering of information from often minor media sources that provide 5 second audio-visual sound bites and obscure one line quotes from "reliable" sources that have absolutely no contributing factors to society except to provide someone with thier 15 seconds of fame.

Nice one...  ;D

MedTech said:
RUMINT or as our USMC brethren would like to call it SCUTTLEBUTT

It is often the type of conversation at the smoke pits, water coolers, Timmy runs or other forms of gathering where people come together and chat or talk in an informal or formal setting.

The information being delivered are often stories or conversations from others that have a hint of truth to it. Often it is all true, but the operator who decides to utilize the RUMINT must sift through it carefully.

RUMINT confirmations are often utilized in forms of questions to people who are actually in the know.

As much as people like to down play RUMINT, it is my observation that RUMINT is what INT either OSINT or HUMINT or just INT community in general are based on. RUMINT is what kick starts the whole machine.

An example of RUMINT would be Informant A overhears something at the market when he was having lunch. Informant A then decides to take that piece of information and hand it off to HUMINT Operator B. Now when HUMINT Operator B gets the info, he/she will double check it with his or her other sources. Then they pass it on to INT Op C at the next debrief. Then the wheel rolls and rolls and rolls. It all gets kick started with RUMINT :D

Ah yes! but it is nowhere as accurate as the "Wives Net".    ;D

But older moms with children gone generally have more time to devote to wider INT matters than wives in full season.

Mark
Ottawa

Since barbers and cab drivers seem to have good environmental awareness....

BARBINT and CABINT?

From this posting:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/80074/post-762218.html#msg762218

SPECINT - SPECulation INTelligence (see also RUMINT, scuttlebutt)

CRAP INT....taken from....well you know where the good phone numbers are... :blotto:

milnews.ca said:
Since barbers and cab drivers seem to have good environmental awareness....

BARBINT and CABINT?
...and I'm reminded of the Air Farce...

...NO VIZAaa...!!!

OldSolduer said:
CRAP INT....taken from....well you know where the good phone numbers are... :blotto:

Or would that be PORTPOTINT (PORTa POTty INT), depending on the...... venue?    ;)

Back