• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close protection TV

dougR6

Inactive
Reaction score
I've done a search but didn't find anything about it, could someone tell me what kind of TV the guys on Close Protection are using.  I'm referring to the picture that was printed in the Maple leaf a few month back when they first started to look for volunteers.  Thanks.

IIRC they were using a Blackhawk plate carrier overtop of soft body armor, combined with belt kit.

COBRA-6 said:
IIRC they were using a Blackhawk plate carrier overtop of soft body armor, combined with belt kit.

I had some close protection guys come into the shop who were going overseas on TF 1-07.  They indeed were using Blackhawk plate carriers, and assorted Blackhawk pouches.  I didn't see what sort of soft body armor they were using though.  I don't know what the following rotations of close protection guys have been using though.

So, let me get this straight.

If you are an infantryman out on patrol, partaking in an attack or even just doing a convoy op, you MUST wear the Tac Vest (as issued).  HOWEVER, if you're doing CPP for a VIP, then you can wear after-market rigs?

Just checking...

Not quite, the CP teams are issued their gear to meet the requirement of the task, it's not the members getting permission to wear their own kit. Someone, somewhere has made the case that the issue kit is insufficient for the job and has had the gear purchase approved and funded... I'm sure that doesn't make the infantryman any happier, but that's the situation.

Wow.  Just wow.  A CPP guy, if I'm not mistaken, would on contact engage in order to break contact, going through a few magazines at most, no?  The prime job, if I'm not mistaken, is to get the VIP out of harm's way, right?

So, the infantryman, whose job is basically to close with and destroy, and therefore needing more than 5 magazines loaded and "ready to go", gets issued a POS, while the CCP "Strategic Enablers" get something that looks as though it may actually do the job?  Now, I am in NO WAY advocating getting the CPP guys into TVs; rather, I am advocating getting the infantrymen the NSN on those bad-boys and ordering one metric feces load.  Well, so long as they aren't cookie-cutter, one size fits all, one mod fits all, if you know what I mean...

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Wow.  Just wow.  A CPP guy, if I'm not mistaken, would on contact engage in order to break contact, going through a few magazines at most, no?  The prime job, if I'm not mistaken, is to get the VIP out of harm's way, right?

So, the infantryman, whose job is basically to close with and destroy, and therefore needing more than 5 magazines loaded and "ready to go", gets issued a POS, while the CCP "Strategic Enablers" get something that looks as though it may actually do the job?  Now, I am in NO WAY advocating getting the CPP guys into TVs; rather, I am advocating getting the infantrymen the NSN on those bad-boys and ordering one metric feces load.  Well, so long as they aren't cookie-cutter, one size fits all, one mod fits all, if you know what I mean...

... And now you know my pain.

Good Points!

We still have the folks that have the "whatever the Queen issues you is all you need" mentality.
Is anyone at NDHQ prowling this site? NDHQ personnel, please take note of the points made.

If they were BlackHawk PCs, then they can also accept soft body armour inserts behind the plates themselves. Many other plate carriers now have this ability to accept soft body armour beneath them.

Get rid of the TV... the POS doesn't work. Start going to an IBA type style, with modular capabilities.

MedTech said:
If they were BlackHawk PCs, then they can also accept soft body armour inserts behind the plates themselves. Many other plate carriers now have this ability to accept soft body armour beneath them.

IIRC they were running concealable-style soft armour separate from the PC.

COBRA-6 said:
IIRC they were running concealable-style soft armour separate from the PC.

No, No, I know. I'm just saying that they COULD if they so chose on the BH! PCs now :)

roger that!  ;D

I still dream of the day there are multiple molle rigs with a many different molle pouches in the system, imagine being able to let your mission dictate your kit loadout!

COBRA-6 said:
roger that!  ;D

I still dream of the day there are multiple molle rigs with a many different molle pouches in the system, imagine being able to let your mission dictate your kit loadout!

I share the same dream, yet have a feeling I'll see state-taxed marijuana sold at convenience stores, and federally funded beer volcanoes and stripper factories first.

COBRA-6 said:
roger that!  ;D

Oh as do I, as do I! You COULD get an after market one with no NSN, walk around in it and when people approach you to ask questions reply by "I once had a dream! A dream where MOLLE PCs would take soft body armour, and the CF would pay for it all! But since the CF wouldn't I had to go buy my self a piece of kit that wasn't the TV, and behold! I look damn sexay!"

MedTech said:
Oh as do I, as do I! You COULD get an after market one with no NSN, walk around in it and when people approach you to ask questions reply by "I'm testing this vest for DLR!" I once had a dream! A dream where MOLLE PCs would take soft body armour, and the CF would pay for it all! But since the CF wouldn't I had to go buy my self a piece of kit that wasn't the TV, and behold! I look damn sexay"

Sig_Des said:
...and federally funded beer volcanoes and stripper factories first...

RAmen to that....

I still cant figure out why its still so bloody hard for some of these people to just get the right kit for the right job......

Ive just accepted it as an army way of life....

Back