• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CNR Strike 2019

Larry Strong said:
"Go handles up"?  Is that getting a good sleep?

I hope it's not what I think it means!

Larry Strong said:
"Go handles up"?  Is that getting a good sleep?

Cheers
Larry

It means stopping the train and refusing to move it.

Trains have handles to control the movement, automatic brake handle, independent brake handle, dynamic brake handle, your throttle handle and reverser handle. So going handles up just means you no longer will be articulating those handles to move the train.

Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
It means stopping the train and refusing to move it.

Trains have handles to control the movement, automatic brake handle, independent brake handle, dynamic brake handle, your throttle handle and reverser handle. So going handles up just means you no longer will be articulating those handles to move the train.

Abdullah

Thank You for that.

Cheers
Larry

AbdullahD said:
So going handles up just means you no longer will be articulating those handles to move the train.

Thanks, Abdullah. I was unfamiliar with the expression, so I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. Your explanation makes a lot more sense!

AbdullahD said:
But again I'll reiterate the strike was legitimate in my books and that is why I joined the picket line.. otherwise I'd happily cross it ie if we were striking to get paid more..

Abdullah, I know a lot has changed since I joined our local in 1972.

Back then, it was nearly sacrilegious to cross your own members picket line without permission from the union. ( There were exceptions for emergency services. ) Those who did were called a name I won't post here. They were shunned by their peers.

mariomike said:
Thanks, Abdullah. I was unfamiliar with the expression, so I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary. Your explanation makes a lot more sense!

Abdullah, I know a lot has changed since I joined our local in 1972.

Back then, it was nearly sacrilegious to cross a picket line without permission from the union. ( There were exceptions for emergency services. ) Those who did were called a name I won't post here. They were shunned by their peers.

Oh nothing has changed in that regard ;) they would still hate me haha I just feel striking over money for us is not a legitimate reason. I'd realistically be looking at slashed tires ;)

But I just think a strike should only happen as a last resort, for legitimate reasons and end as soon as those reasons or demands are met.

But then again, I am not a hard union guy haha
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
, I am not a hard union guy haha
Abdullah

Neither was I.

But, you have to play ball with both the employer and the union - just to get along.

Even after you retire, you are going to be associating with both at the various functions, luncheons and funerals. It never ends.

Back